Iceland...

Golden Hall

The song is ringing loud
Oct 16, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
Visit site
Fuck yeah! I just booked tickets to the land of the sagas for a couple weeks this summer, and I was wondering if any of the Scandinavians in here had any recommendations on cool shit over there. I've got North Sea Storm stuck in my head already...

Golden Hall said:
Fuck yeah! I just booked tickets to the land of the sagas for a couple weeks this summer, and I was wondering if any of the Scandinavians in here had any recommendations on cool shit over there. I've got North Sea Storm stuck in my head already...

Some of my kinsmen/women went there a few years ago...we are also trying to go next year...they went on the "saga tour" and were taken to all the places in the sagas and came back with some awesome pics, I say definitely look into that.

Golden Hall said:

Yeah, you gotta visit the Blue Lagoon, Gullfoss and Torsmörk, for sure... They also have the Geysir, but it's pretty lame. At least I got bored with it after about two eruptions. I think it's also possible to go to active vulcanos and stuff, but I'm not sure...

Otherwise Reykjavik is a pretty insane party town, but nobody is out before midnight. Then again they stay out til 6 or 7 in the morning. It's pretty expensive - unless you're from Norway - so a tip is to get some beers at the liquerstore and get souped up before you head out.

:kickass:

Johan! Thanks for the tips, I'm looking forward to having Amon Amarth as my soundtrack for the trip and drinking too much Brennivín, maybe by then you guys will even have a new song to hold us over until the new album....possibly?

Hello,i´m from iceland and if you want to ask me about anything there you are more than welcome:) now,there is a viking bar/resturant that really owns everything else in the world...looks like it was cut out of an amon amarth photoshoot.The Dimmu Borgir Volcanc forming is not named after the band,the band is named after the formation :p .Iceland is not a part of canada,but it was once a part of Denmark and once a part of Norway.Hope you enjoy yourself here and i´m really sorry about how expensive everything is around here :p

yeah, everything is so expensive in Paris too... not because we have very high living standards like icelanders, but because of all these fucking tourists :mad:

Eldur said:
Hello,i´m from iceland and if you want to ask me about anything there you are more than welcome:) now,there is a viking bar/resturant that really owns everything else in the world...looks like it was cut out of an amon amarth photoshoot.The Dimmu Borgir Volcanc forming is not named after the band,the band is named after the formation :p .Iceland is not a part of canada,but it was once a part of Denmark and once a part of Norway.Hope you enjoy yourself here and i´m really sorry about how expensive everything is around here :p

What's the name of the bar? That sounds pretty fucking cool. And I know it's going to be expensive, but I'm planning on camping most of the time, so if you know of any good camping spots around the country, I'd appreciate the info. Also, do you know when in August Pjodhatic Vestmannaeyjar is? Huge bonfires and lots of booze are always a can't-miss event.

Incoming thread-jack...

My hat is off to Iceland. Most impressive, declaring to be energy-independant soon. I wish other countries would follow in your footsteps.

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
There's this volcano landscape named after some Norwegian band.
That would be Dimmu Borgir formations. I never personally saw the place when I spent my year of misery there, but I did travel around the island. Near Keflavik there is the continental divide, which is kinda interesting. You can jump across North America and Europe. The north had like about three trees so that was kinda neat to see. But between Rek and Kef is about 95% of the countries population. Rek is pretty cool. Country is pretty damn dreary though but can be pretty on a sunny day, in a desolate moonscape way :) Akureyri was a pretty nice lil spot up north. Grimsey is cool if you have a helicopter cuz then you can just drop in and cross the arctic circle, that was cool for me at least, not to mention the shitloads of humpback whales up north. And it is very expensive.

Golden Hall said:
What's the name of the bar? That sounds pretty fucking cool. And I know it's going to be expensive, but I'm planning on camping most of the time, so if you know of any good camping spots around the country, I'd appreciate the info. Also, do you know when in August Pjodhatic Vestmannaeyjar is? Huge bonfires and lots of booze are always a can't-miss event.

bring a wind resistant tent, cuz its windy as hell there too :)

Golden Hall said:
The Name of the Bar is Fjörukráin (The Shore Pub) and Þjóðhátíð is during the First Weekend of August.As for campin spots,anywhere not near a town or a road is fine,but i recommend Snæfellsnes,Laugarvatn or Þórsmörk.I also recommend you buy your beer in the duty free store on the airport as boose is very expensive here