Iconoclast format and price point

SyXified

Jun 22, 2003
Massachusetts
www.unholymothers.com
$12 for the regular version, $15 for the deluxe. Two CDs of fairly comparable length but one treated as the main material and the other as bonus. While I do not have a strong opinion on either of these moves as definitively "good" or "bad," I do think they are interesting decisions to say the least.

The low price point has some merit to it, as most of us can probably remember plotting supply and demand curves to get the optimal price to quantity sold to generate maximum revenue. It makes sense for price to drop in light of the availability and ease of illegal downloading (and the reduced demand for physical albums given the new technological options) to find the new equilibrium. I think there is also merit to favoring quantity sold over price, because you can treat quantity sold as advertising (if one person buys an album at $20 whereas two would have at $10 you pull in the same revenue...but if everyone who bought the album goes to the concert, the latter is better). That said, there is always a lurking concern that a low price point makes an album appear cheap, which can hurt sales. I tend to think the former has far more weight than the latter, but it is far from an exact science.

The two disc format has similar pros and cons. You get to capitalize on that whole "well, if I'm spending $12 no matter what I may as well toss the extra $3 for a ton more content" effect. You also get to appeal to both the cheapskates and the die-hards by providing more options. With that said, you dramatically impact the effect of the "album as a unit." It varies from band to band and album to album, but often times an album is supposed to be more than just the disparate tracks that happened to be recorded around the same time. Iconoclast is supposed to have a technology theme, meaning there is a thread connecting the songs, and so you have to present them in a way that reflects that structure. Having a number of "optional" tracks on another disc diminishes that impact, and instead tends to say "here's all the garbage that came out of this studio session without any discretion for how tracks work together or which tracks are really worth presenting to the public." On this issue, I think the cons are more influential than they are on the price point.

I like that the band tried a new approach; I think music needs to be sold much differently these days than it was in the past. In truth, the record industry kept prices inflated over intrinsic value for so long that the consumer skepticism towards paying much for music these days is its own fault (how many times did you drop $20 on an album that was complete crap, or only had a few good tracks pre-Napster?). However, I'm not sure if the approach Symphony X took with this album will turn out to be right, or in the right direction at least.

Thoughts on these issues?

The band had nothing to do with the pricing or the format, just to be clear; that was all done by the label.

The band had nothing to do with the pricing or the format, just to be clear; that was all done by the label.

That's interesting Jax. It makes sense that pricing would be at the discretion of the label, but format? I've heard of labels pulling for particular tracks to be included or to not be included, but never of a label having influence over, say, track order. I would think the division of tracks between the two discs would fall into that same category of "let the artist make the art decisions."

Anyway, I more so meant for it to be a discussion of how price point and format should be handled these days when selling music, but you provide a good point of clarification; it's often not at the band's discretion how their material is packaged, promoted, etc., and that seems to be the case here.

I think Jax meant format as in the packaging and means by which the album was sold. Hasn't MJR stated that the tracklisting on the two disc is exactly how they wanted it?

I'd be very interested in knowing if the band truly has no control over track order, because that just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm pretty sure that the band has control over track order and which songs appeared on the special edition. MJR has stated that it was difficult for them to decide which three songs were to be left off of the single-disc version (and since I think Light and Lords are pretty weak I think they made the right choice there). Also, after MJR wrote Iconoclast and Russ heard it, the latter said that he thought it should be the first track on the album.

The cd was meant to be two discs, what I meant was that they had no control over the label cutting it down into a single cd release as well as the double disc.

i recall an interview where MJR said that the label was a little dubious when he told them that they wanted the track Iconoclast to be the first track of the album, but finally conceeded cause its what they wanted and pictured the album. so no, they didnt have any power on tracklisting.

speaking of formats, Jax, do you know if they have any plans to release small runs of the early albums on vinyl? I would buy 2 copies of each!

I believe the 2 cd set is only one song over the maximum capacity of a standard cd.....Hardly anyone puts 70+ minutes on a cd anymore...I do find it interesting that they didn't cut one song and just release it as a single (nearly full) cd. Me personally, I'd rather have the extra tunes, and was quite happy to pay just a couple bucks more for it......Interesting topic........

It would be interesting to see how sales are going with each versions. Last week when I went to get my copy at Rasputin Music here in SF they had no more deluxe editions, only a bunch of the regular ones. Had to come back a few days later when they received more of them (obviously they increased the price from 15.99 to 16.99).

I believe fans will actually get the deluxe edition, not only for the music but the actual packaging, so I see no point in having two versions. Many years ago (like someone mentioned as pre-napster) non die hard fans or someone just looking into their music would probably buy the regular edition, but nowadays they don't bother they just download the album. I mean you might get the rare fan who buys both versions just for having them but having two editions I think is a waste of money and resources.
The vinyl album is another story, that is I believe a cool move to treat your music as a work of art.

All IMHO