Iconoclast spoiler thread

I listened to Reign in Madness again because I didn't really notice the beginning the way others did on first listen. I think it is a great song, but the outcry by some over that opening is the perfect example of why Symphony X can't seem to win with some. People cry for growth, keyboards, different ideas, etc. etc., then the band does that and people still bitch. I remember when the Odyssey came out and people wouldn't quit crying over the start stop motif in Incantations. I think this cd is brilliant, and it will probably only get better for me as I hear more nuances on subsequent listens.

No it's okay, my taste in music is really bad.

I don't like this album and I think for me the band is done. This album doesn't really introduce anything to their catalogue and IMO is just a poor, generic, pre-packaged effort all around. I love SX but they're not gods and I don't consider their music untouchable. It's a bad album, so I'm going to say so.

Okay, so stop whining about the band. I'm sick and tired of all you guys who have only negative things to say about the new album. Each one of Symphony X's albums is unique, presents something new and that's what make them so special to me. Everybody has their favorite album, mine is The Odyssey, but don't want them to release another The Odyssey again.

We live in a fast food musical reality where some fans blocked their minds and only like old stuff, which they call "classic". If Iconoclast had been released in 1997, it would be a classic and fan favorite today. If Divine Wings Of Tragedy had been released in 2011, the same people would say it's "bad" or "crap" and that songs such as Out Of The Ashes, Pharaoh and The Witching Hour are horrible, cheesy, lackluster, etc.

This is a very tenuous claim to be making.

Okay, so stop whining about the band. I'm sick and tired of all you guys who have only negative things to say about the new album.
Why not? Why aren't they allowed to say they don't like it if indeed they don't?

Some of the criticisms I've read so far have been quite reasoned, and not just "Yahhh it's too heavy/not prog/not V".

Just to clear things out. One thing is to criticize the album, another is how it fits to a personal taste. A negative critic doesn't mean the album sucks. As I said, this album (for me) is only better than the debut SX album, yet, I think It's way better than the last two Dream Theater records TOGHETER - and today I listen much more DT than SX.

Paradise Lost was an album that had a style many people didn't see it coming, despite the band coments on how heavy it was, based on a new direction taken on the Odyssey. As someone wrote in the forum, Pinella himself said this album hadn't so much prog in it. To expect Iconoclast to be like DWOT or V is kind of dumb, although you can listen to some references, after all, it's the same band. The only thing I didn't expected was the POWER elements of the choruses and a few verses.

Besides that, it's a great album, feels like TIO felt after DWOT, the band trying some new things. Based on the history of SX, I expect the next album to be a true masterpiece, with these "new" elements much more solid in their work.

I would comment more on the eternal "New album vs DWOT / V" battle but there's not much to say... I was a little disappointed when I found out nearly every track was them at their heaviest, and although I like that I also like them doing other things and would have preferred a little more variety. But when I actually hear the album and know that, I don't see the point in me hating Heretic because it's not Candlelight Fantasia, and was never supposed to be.

Anyone who actually likes more than one song on the album want to say what ones are their favourites at first? Obviously Iconoclast / When All Is Lost are great - Iconoclast is awesome and a great intro to the album but right now I think When All Is Lost is better, could easily be a top 10 Symphony X song. Apart from that I really love Bastards Of The Machine - the chorus isn't great but I love the verses and the solo section is probably my favourite on the album, one of the best Symphony X solos in general. It's not exactly like the old solo sections but it really does have that new sound they were talking about.

Also I've been liking Dehumanized more and more over the past month, so it's probably one of my favourites from the album right now, although that could easily change... and Children Of A Faceless God is very interesting. I don't know why I originally thought it was going to be almost a ballad a month or so ago, I'm sure I read that somewhere but it's pretty much as heavy as the rest, although a bit slower paced and with a more melodic chorus.

Fucking love the key changes in Reign in Madness - its new for the band and I like it. Russell does some cool shit with his voice following the key changes...it fits perfectly.

For the people saying the song is louder than any other Symphony X album I strongly disagree. While in my car I can actually hear the keys and everything clearly while turned up quite a bit. Not just bass overthrowing the entire album like on PL. I turn on Domination and its all bass taking over my speakers and I have to turn it down and I am unable to really listen to each instrument playing. With this album it seems so much more audible...maybe its just me?

UPDATE: Who said Lord of Chaos sounds like Rainbow's Gates of Babylon? You were dead on. 3:40 on sounds like they wrote the song based on Rainbow's - its fucking sweet though! Great song.

Who said Lord of Chaos sounds like Rainbow's Gates of Babylon? You were dead on. 3:40 on sounds like they wrote the song based on Rainbow's - its fucking sweet though! Great song.

It was me :)

This album is growing on me more and more! At first listen I was disappointed, but now (after 5 or 6 listens) I realize it is pretty awesome album!

Agreed. Different styles within the same band. There's something in every record they create that I can enjoy.

I haven't heard the album yet but I believe that that's true. The band, first and foremost, plays for themselves, not us (they said that before actually) so it's natural that they want shift directions sometimes. This may be just a continuation of the heavy theme from PL. Who knows? They'll probably be back again with other styles and more experimentation with their next albums.

Furthermore, we all should listen to the album for a month or so and decide whether it fits our tastes or not.

For example, every SX album is great, but I personally praise The Damnation Game and keep V and PL at the bottom of my list. There's a lot of talk here about lack of variety but, I, for example, think that V lacks variety and sounds a little too boring/packaged/empty with its choruses n stuff. We all have very different opinions on what constitutes 'good melody'.

ive listened to the whole thing 3 times. for what it is, its a great album. its gonna take a while and multiple listens for it to all sink in. all symphony x albums are that way for me. i think most peoples complaints are just a result of expecting something completely different than what we got, but i honestly dont think its a bad album at all. its not perfect but nothing really is

Each one of Symphony X's albums is unique, presents something new and that's what make them so special to me. Everybody has their favorite album, mine is The Odyssey, but don't want them to release another The Odyssey again.

Yep. Let them go in other directions if they like. If you're lucky (you guys that don't like this heavier style) they might come back to your preferred musical style.

In my opinion, they're not scared of alienating new fans, they're just trying another direction again.

Again, I haven't listened to it yet (and I think I repeated myself in this post a couple/a lot of times :)).

Orion the Hunter at 4:12. Isn't that a hammond organ?

Speaking of which, I loved that particular segment of Orion, which sounded very... biomechanical/dark or something... you get it. I was expecting to find some passages like this one on the new album. Can somebody tell me if the new album as an abundance of this kind of sounds? I love this part of Orion. It feels dark and mechanical.

Why not? Why aren't they allowed to say they don't like it if indeed they don't?

Some of the criticisms I've read so far have been quite reasoned, and not just "Yahhh it's too heavy/not prog/not V".

It seems you didn't read what I wrote: you guys who have ONLY negative things to say about the new album. Some people here only point out, overemphasize what they see as weak points in Iconoclast. It's not perfect, nothing is, but what about the highlights? Aren't there any? Come on! Let's not be so biased. So much snobbery.

Good points symphonyXjapan and Thonolan. That's some reasonable critique.

But just saying it's a really bad album or "When All is Lost" is a plain bad song just because you didn't like some line in the lyrics is just retarded imo.

I didn't say the song was plain bad, I meant that line was. In fact I said openly that I hadn't even listened to it fully yet, and relayed my experience as to why. Years ago I would have been a little upset that my favorite band was using that kind of material, this time I just sort of laugh and find it difficult to take it seriously enough.

I was a little apprehensive at first listen but holy crap has this album grown on me! Awesome! The song Iconoclast is a monster!

Can't wait to get it in my hands next week!

Just signed up so I could post this...

I decided to rate each song off the album out of 10.

Iconoclast – 9
The End of Innocence – 8.5
Dehumanized – 8
Bastards of the Machine – 8
Heretic – 7
Children of a Faceless God – 8
When All Is Lost – 9
Electric Messiah – 8.5
Prometheus – 8
Light Up the Night – 6.5
The Lord of Chaos – 7
Reign In Madness – 9

Overall, it’s a great album, with a lot of fun songs; without a doubt their heaviest album to date. Each song has its share of tasty riffs and melodies, with Romeo doing a fantastic job on guitar, and Russel sounding great as always, as well as everyone else in the band.

Though I do acknowledge criticism that was brought up earlier, which is lack of diversity. While each song does stand alone and has its distinct sound, they don’t sound insanely different from one another. I think it’s acceptable here though, because at least the songs are good. Some of the riffs are a little forgettable at times though. I also would have preferred more focus on the keyboard/synth, and more progressive/long songs, but oh well.

So yeah, I suggest any SX fan to buy/dl this album, because you’re sure to find at least a few songs that you’ll really enjoy a lot. I’ll definitely be buying this album to pay my respect for a job well done. I'm not good at comparing albums against each other, but if I had to say whether or not this album lives up to the standards of the previous albums, I'd say it just about does.

Rating system I used:
10 – As good as a song can possibly be
9 – Amazing
8 – Very Good
7 – Good/Decent
6 – Alright
5 – Meh
4 & Below - Crap

Speaking of which, I loved that particular segment of Orion, which sounded very... biomechanical/dark or something... you get it. I was expecting to find some passages like this one on the new album. Can somebody tell me if the new album as an abundance of this kind of sounds? I love this part of Orion. It feels dark and mechanical.

The organ thing only lasts like 30 seconds. Although, they do bring it in again towards the end of the song. Off the top of my head, I don't believe they use it on any other songs on Iconoclast. The specific part has a sound that kind of reminds me of this:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzyy3sldyPQ&t=1m17s[/ame]

Here's my review. I hope it's readable, I'm not really in a writing mood (can't find the right words...) and during the writing I suddenly lost a sentence which may be in the text somewhere. Not sure. Anyway, give it a try! :p

I fell in love with Symphony X because they managed to make original, surprising and complex music with all the instruments being in balance with eachother. Every instrument had its moments to shine and there wasn't a dominant instrument. Not even the vocals. Paradise Lost lost this balance with the way too dominating guitars, and a focus more on aggression than on subtlety. There are some songs I really enjoy but it's just not what made me love Symphony X.

I hoped this album to be a return to the roots but I didn't expect it, so I'm not necessarily disappointed. I appreciate the album for what it is, which is nice. Stylistically it souds very PL-like in my opinion, especially on the first 5-6 songs. The songs are stronger though, and it's more balanced than PL. Still the guitars are dominating, but I can hear there's some more keyboards. A small step into the right direction! However, what this album lacks is variety. All these guitar riffs sound the same and they blend into one big Michael Romeo fest. The songs lose identity and it gets boring too quickly... Unfortunately, the aggresive vocals are still there too. Russell is one of my favourite singers, but not when he sings like this. It doesn't suit him and he nor SX needs it. It's like having a Porsche Turbo, a beautiful car, and then adorning it with cheesy flames on the sides and that kind of shit. Doesn't add anything but ugliness.

Each song is rated on a 1-5 scale, with stars in brackets behind the name.
* * * * * = Brilliant. (only five SX songs have this rating)
* * * * = Great. The common rating for a song by a band I like, makes up 70% usually.
* * * = Not bad, just nothing special. or: great, but with a chorus/verse/solo/intro seriously fucking it up.
* * = I don't like it.
* = I can't stand it, shit.

Somehow the song Iconoclast (* * * *, I predict. not sure yet) hasn't clicked with me yet... I can hear it's not a bad song, but it just hasn't impressed me yet. I'm not particularly a fan of the verses and the chorus, but the bridge inbetween sounds great. When the bridge starts is in my opinion the most memorable moment in the song. I really like the End of Innocence (* * * *). The intro is just great and the chorus is really catchy. I like catchiness! Same goes for Dehumanized (* * * *), I love that chorus. The riff is catchy as well, but more boring than EoI. I miss keyboards here! Bastards (* *) has a shit chorus on the other hand. Seriously, it's bad. Luckily there's some okay instrumental stuff in the song too, otherwise I would skip it each time I listen the album. Not much for me to like here... Heretic (* *) is not my cup of tea either. It sounds like a Metallica ripoff, especially in the chorus. I can't stand it... My least favourite song on the album.

Children of a Faceless God (* * * *) is one of my favourites, finally something slower. It's nothing special but just overall solid. I like the chorus! When All Is Lost (* * * *) is even better, although I think the guitars are still too overpowering when they're unleashed near the end of the song, I'm glad there's at least one song where the keyboard plays a role that's more than just background filler or the occasional solo. It really adds something and interacts with the other instruments, something that makes me love the older albums so much. When All Is Lost is in my opinion the most traditional SX song since The Odyssey (album); even though Paradise Lost (song) was stylistically very similar to the old SX, the song itself was different. Flat as a pancake, if you know what I mean. When All Is Lost is the opposite and proofs that they still have what I like to see from them. Not a mindblowing song, but very enjoyable anyway. And who knows how much it'll grow on me. I didn't like Communion and the Oracle (* * * * *) at first too...

Anyway, Electric Messiah (* * *). Not feeling this song. Not bad, but not special either. I don't mind listening it, I don't mind skipping it. I like Prometheus (* * * *). When the first verse starts I go like WTF, but it evolves into something very likeable! I've been a fan of the chorus since I saw the live version on youtube for the first time, very catchy! Light up the Night (* * *) and The Lord of Chaos (* * *) don't do much for me. Light up the Night has some nice melodies but it lacks variety making it almost an exhausting listen.

Luckily there's still Reign in Madness (* * * *), which is in my opinion the best song on the album right behind When All Is Lost. The only non-ballad song on the album where the keyboard plays a significant role throughout the whole song. The intro is weird but interesting (in a good way). I hated it when it suddenly stopped to make room for the guitar riff, but it returned during the verse which I didn't expect. I could actually hear a keyboard melody during the verses, wow! This makes that Reign in Madness has more identity than most other songs, which all sound more or less the same: powerful, lots of guitar riffs with little melody, all instruments sounding exactly the same. Reign in Madness is another proof that they still have it. For a change this song has a calm interlude, and when the guitar riffs return they're at leats accompanied with a piano! On top of this all, the chorus is good!

Overall, it's an enjoyable album but not a masterpiece. I only recognize the old Symphony X in the End of Innocence's intro, When All Is Lost and Reign in Madness, but I'm glad I can recognize them anyway. I know the Symphony X I love is not dead and I sincerely hope that one day they'll recognize the potential of keyboards again. Keyboards are crucial for variety and that's this album's main flaw. Too little songs stand out!

3/3,5 stars

I'm liking the album so far. Heavy, but a lot more melodic compared to Paradise Lost heavy.

Lots of cool riffs and cool interesting song ideas. It seems like riffs are changing all the time during the songs so it keeps it really interesting and active. Loving Romeo's soloing in this one, very different from the other albums and more akin to the solo of Masquerade. The lyrics are kinda cool, some of them cheesy, but the melodies are great. They really wanted the choruses to be catchy and it comes through clear as choruses are getting stuck in my head just from one or two listens. Lots more keyboard and keyboard solos this time around which is always awesome, and you can hear the bass a lot more, which I love.

Songs that stick out:
Iconoclast: Great orchestra and mechanical sound stuff, progginess going on, heaviness, and a really catchy chorus. What a great and memorable song; might be the best on the album.
Bastards of the Machine: All out METAL! Awesome riffs, cool lyrics, and just metal all around.
When All Is Lost: When I first listened to it, after hearing all the other heavy metal tracks on the album, it was such a breath of fresh air. The piano and singing at the beginning gave me chills. It sounded beautiful. The song gets heavier, but Russell still sings clear and beautiful and it sounds great. Nice melodies all around and the piano being active is how Symphony X should be!
Prometheus: Rullo is shining here. The drumming is superb all throughout the song. I like the melodies and lyrics and could see myself singing along to the song a lot lol.
Rein in Madness: It kind of doesn't sound like a Symphony X song. It's really unique and different, but it works.

In terms of first impressions this album beats Paradise Lost. Will continue listening.