Iconoclast spoiler thread

Iconoclast cannot compare to the older albums, but given that PL was a piece of trash this one is actually pretty fun. I still think Russel's "new" vocals sound somehow immature. I just cannot relate to his voice and whatever emotion he is trying to convey.

It's not worth criticizing really, the damage is done.

All in all a neat album.

That's a huge complement to SX for you to compare their song to that.

And I know I live under a rock, but did the new album already come out or something? How did everyone here hear it? I thought it was due on Friday. I looked on piratebay and didn't see it.

ROFL!!!

Symphony X has always, and WILL always write significantly better music than Ayreon.

About....5-6 listens now and... ehh... Been trying to let this one sink in for a while... really wanted to love this album.. I only have one problem with it when it comes down to it.. LYRICS... Ok I got past the (this isn't V, Paradise Lost II) phase... Then I got past the (Too many heavy songs, Too generic) phase... I am now stuck on the (LYRICS SUCK) phase.. I mean it's tolerable for the most part but there are just too many moments where I think..(what he just said is pretty lame) and I just try and ignore it.. These moments aren't getting any less noticeable... Everything else on this album... Top notch... Russ....(STRIKE WITH POWER!...is not a cool line) Please stop writing... Compared to everything else people are listening to today I still give this album 7.5/10

Anything is better than a fade-out.

I don't think that is always true, but it seems that on this album and on Paradise Lost the band has relied too much on full-band fade-outs. That's what, three on PL and four on this one?! It just sounds wrong to me, like the band was too lazy to write a proper ending or something. When you have a song as aggressive as The Walls of Babylon or Electric Messiah just "sprinkle off" at the end, all the power is lost.

The fade-out on Candlelight Fantasia worked for me because it was a ballad, the end of the album, and "pretty" enough to warrant such an ending. It also worked on the title track of PL due to the vibe of the song (although I am in no way comparing this to the greatness of Candlelight Fantasia).

That said, I think the only song on this album where the full-band fade-out works is Prometheus (I Am Alive). The Lords of Chaos isn't bad, either, but the other two just really annoy me, especially Electric Messiah. It just doesn't fit!

There is a part from Electric Messiah, which is similar to Domination dissonant part :)

Yep, it's pretty obvious that they were ripping off of themselves with this part! I like it, but it isn't too creative. I liked it better in Domination, when the bass and the piano (something that is pretty much lost on this entire album bar one song) played the catchy riff and the guitar was being annoying.

Iconoclast cannot compare to the older albums, but given that PL was a piece of trash this one is actually pretty fun.

Opinions are opinions and I respect yours, but I'd love to know why you feel this way. To me, as much as I believe Paradise Lost didn't stand up to their previous albums, it had far more heart and soul than this album does. I never thought that I would say that, but PL definitely had more of that "classic Symphony X sound" than Iconoclast does. Why? Natural sounding keyboards, guitars lower in the mix (if you can believe that), and less aggressive vocals. I never thought that this band could get more aggressive than the likes of Domination or Seven, but I was wrong. I don't like this direction.

For any other metal band, Iconoclast would be a great album. But for Symphony X, who have always been light years beyond "just another metal band," it is simply average. At this point, I will say that the only weaker album in their entire catalog would be their self-titled debut, which MJR considers to be "just a demo," anyway.

I really hope this band has a new album in a few years (as opposed to four or five), since these songs simply don't have the depth that their previous albums' songs had.

Now I know what's been bugging me about When All Is Lost. It sounds A LOT like Seventh Wonder, especially the vocal lines.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say again that Reign in Madness is damn awesome. :headbang:

Also listening to The Lords of Chaos. It has a cool crunchy beginning, and check out that goddamn solo!

opeth-ish part, metallica-ish part, meshuggah-ish part, dream theater-ish part, and there's even an iron maiden reference "The quick and the dead" in the lyrics... Is it coincidence? So many metal references...

june's metal magazines in italy are crazy for them : cover in Metal hammer and
Metal maniacs,interviews,first name in rock hard .About the reviews,very good marks from 7,5 to 9/10 .

Getting it now...I'm disturbed by the comments about the lyrics. That was one of my biggest complains about the last one.

The lyrics are terrible, the whole album is awful..
Russ re-uses "shore to shore" and one line is "if all the world's a stage".

Sorry but I can't say nothing anymore the whole album is laughable!

The last line and chorus in When All is Lost.

"What went wrong, where have all my heroes gone, trade our future for a song we gave it all away."

What went wrong is Symphony X sold out, completely, and this entire song is like a confession.

At 20:26 Michael Romeo himself says: “I think this record to me is our best record by far! You know, just because, it's like...there's a certain coolness about it. It's different enough. It still sounds like us. You know, I think the fans who have been with us will still, will still apreciate it.”

Last edited by a moderator:
The lyrics are terrible, the whole album is awful..
Russ re-uses "shore to shore" and one line is "if all the world's a stage".

Sorry but I can't say nothing anymore the whole album is laughable!

The last line and chorus in When All is Lost.

"What went wrong, where have all my heroes gone, trade our future for a song we gave it all away."

What went wrong is Symphony X sold out, completely, and this entire song is like a confession.

Yeah, I totally agree. Everything is just a bunch of recycled stuff from the past. Laughable is word all right...

lol

Is it possible that, even though he wrote it, MJR doesn't comprehend the brilliance of V? I never hear him talk about it in a positive way!

He had a stroke of genius, and he doesn't even recognize it! Haha.

^^^ They're aware of the leak and seem cool with it, knowing that the album will still sell well. :)

This post/opinion I would order under complete shit.

lol

Is it possible that, even though he wrote it, MJR doesn't comprehend the brilliance of V? I never hear him talk about it in a positive way!

He had a stroke of genius, and he doesn't even recognize it! Haha.

V is my favorite album. MJR broke my heart when I read in an Interview (don't remember where) that V was one of his least favorites, probably after the first one... at least I hope so.