Idea for GMD

zabu of nΩd

Free Insultation
Feb 9, 2007
Okay guys, let me know if this sounds any good. I thought it would be cool to have a sticky thread containing a sort of directory of the band-specific threads that have been created in GMD (at least for the bands that people actually care about). It could be sorted by genre - maybe even time period if it gets really long - and look something like this:

Black Metal:
* Darkthrone
* Dimmu Borgir
* Emperor
* etc.
Classic/Trad Metal:
* Iron Maiden
* Judas Priest
* etc.
Death Metal
Folk Metal
Power Metal
Progressive Metal
Thrash Metal
etc.

I thought this would be a good idea because it's nice to have 'official' band threads that centralise all the major opinions and useful info on a band, and also keep people from creating clone threads that each die off after a page or two.

It would also be very useful to people looking for bands to check out in an unfamiliar genre, since it will give people an idea of the bands in that genre that a decent number of people are actually interested in. Thus, it could end up turning into a "Metal Essentials" thread.

I have no idea how much use it would get, but it wouldn't hurt to try, right?

I agree since I am lazy and wouldn't feel like searching for this shit.

This could be done in band recs too. Consolidate all stuff like death/thrash recs into one thread or something.

^ Yeah, that would be fantastic. I know there have been a lot of good recs made in there, but the hell if I'm going to go searching through that clusterfuck of a subforum for them.

I plan to, soon as I get the sanction of one of the mods. I imagine Andy would be happy to sticky it.

hey-o!

that sounds like a good idea to me. I had thought about the band rec thing also...just stickying general recs for every subgenre.

I'm also thinking of unstickying the 2007 Metal thread since it's two years old and people don't really post in it anymore

Yeah, that Metal 2007 thread needs to gtfo.

I'll start working on the band directory thread. Hopefully will have a draft up tonight and people can propose additions from there.

Come to think of it, I can stick the old "Metal 20XX" threads in this directory I'm making. I'll just have a separate section for "special topics" or whatever.

Tbh I wasn't really planning to flesh out the band links until the thread was up and people started posting suggestions. How far are you planning to go with this, unknown?

edit: this was a P.S. to my previous post

well I figured people would post suggestions and then I, Andy or Deron would take those suggestions and edit the Original Post to keep it all in one (kind of like what Grimace initially did with the youtube thread)

(edited my post above)

^ Looks good unknown, though I would suggest not using subcategories for subgenres. I'd do something like:

Death Metal
Old School Death Metal
Brutal/Slam Death
Melodic Death Metal

Just to keep the list cleaner looking.

My 2p

I guess it would be best just to get the thread up, and let the critiquing of its format occur there.