Ideal politics

Nemesis_lxix

Drunk Lord's Greasy $@#%*
Ideal politics

A mighty country should prove its strength all the time, spreading fear to other countries, keeping them under the impression that it is inferior. That way no one will dare to stand against that country.
I had this argument with a friend of mine and came to no conclusion. My personal belief is that a country should evolve in secrecy, not letting others know what is going on behind its border. Hidden preparations for war and strategic plans. In a time of battle this country will be underestimated by the enemy and have the advantage.
I need to know how people from other countries feel about that….
Give some examples for deferent political behaviors and where the led.

Nemesis_lxix said:
A mighty country should prove its strength all the time, spreading fear to other countries, keeping them under the impression that it is inferior.
I may be misunderstanding the statement, but it is self-contradictory - can you explain?
Nemesis_lxix said:
That way no one will dare to stand against that country.
I suggest consulting Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit, Marx/Engels's On the Jewish Question and Miamoto Musashi's Five Rings for some interesting ideas related to this. In general, I would say that no one country has the power to stand against the collective might of the rest of the world, nor against the collective might of its own people such that it can reign with impunity.
Nemesis_lxix said:
...a country should evolve in secrecy, not letting others know what is going on behind its border. Hidden preparations for war and strategic plans. In a time of battle this country will be underestimated by the enemy and have the advantage.
I think the edict of Bushido is relevant here - most countries would prefer a show of strength so that they would not be attacked rather than keeping secret their strength.

/too late in the evenning for me to discuss

I think that first point was a gramatical error on his part. If it's not then yes it contradicts itself!
I think he meant to say "keeping them under they impression that THEY ARE inferrior"

That makes more sense!

I dont think a country can evolve in secrecy nower days in that we live in an extremely global society.
I also dont think that it is actually neccassary to have to 'hide' war plans these days, its not as if we are living in a day and age where global war is a day-to-day threat and or relaity

Mordechai Vanunu is an Israeli who told the world that Israel had nuclear weapons. He revealed his government's nuclear arsenal to be the 6th largest in the world. He campaigns for world peace. Vanunu remains in jail (for being a traitor and revealing how Israel is building up secretly) since he was kidnapped in Rome in 1986. In April 2005 Amnesty International condemned the renewal of restrictions imposed on Vanunu.

From the US Campaign to Free Mordechai Vanunu:
"What did remain ambiguous after 1976 was not Israel's possession of a nuclear arsenal, but the scale and speed of its buildup after 1973. Was this necessary to Israeli security? That was tested by Vanunu's photographs, which revealed - even to CIA - a much larger program than anyone had estimated, and gave weight to Vanunu's estimate of over 200 nuclear warheads at that time, not 20 - 30 as had been supposed. Once again it was not implausible to fear that this might begin to have some damaging political effects that the mere assumption that Israel had some nuclear weapons had not caused. But that was 19 years ago. Again, so far as can be publicly known, no damage whatever has occured over that period. (The strengthening effect of the disclosures on the deterence of Israel's non-nuclear neighbours is self-evident).
http://www.nonviolence.org/vanunu/20050417ellsberg.html

Lord SteveO said:
I think he meant to say "keeping them under they impression that THEY ARE inferrior"

what i meant is..."The mighty country keeping the others under the impression,they stand no chance ageinst it's srength"

I do belive that a society can evolve in secrecy as much as i belive it has been done allready !

I also dont think that it is actually neccassary to have to 'hide' war plans these days, its not as if we are living in a day and age where global war is a day-to-day threat and or relaity

I think the threat of war is constant,only it is mostly done wirh out us knowing !

I think the edict of Bushido is relevant here - most countries would prefer a show of strength so that they would not be attacked rather than keeping secret their strength.

That is what i think is going on !