If it wasn't for Opeth, I would have never discovered...?

dolphz

Black Heart
Aug 21, 2001
Elmhurst, Ill. USA
Visit site
The "How I discovered Opeth thread" got me thinking about all the other bands I discovered BECAUSE I had discovered, and was very into, Opeth. So, here goes-

If it wasn't for Opeth, I would have never discovered...
Black Metal (I thought it was just talentless noise)
Katatonia (the Michael connection)
Emperor (and related Zyklon, Myrkskog, Immortal)
MANY other Black Metal artists
Embraced, Arcturus, Solefald, Hollenthon, ect

But the one I'm most thankful for...

Emperor

This is an interesting thread...I probably can't remember some but definitely:

Iron Maiden - ha! as a latecomer to metal in 1994 (I was 17 or so and my first port of call for metal was Death and Black) I had never listened to maiden. but some people compared the melodic twin guitar stuff off Orchid and Morningrise to Maiden so I checked them out. Awesome stuff!

Camel - Snow Goose and Moonmadness are fantastic

Nick Drake - cool dark acoustic folk music. Guitar playing in a similar vein to Opeth acoustic stuff ie benighted.

katatonia, Edge of Sanity (Crimson) - Mikael connection

I've enjoyed other stuff because of opeth but haven't directly gotten into them via Opeth. Also some bands I haven't gotten into because they didn't stack up to Opeth - Primordial, Novembre.

Cheers

Paul D.

Anathema, Novembre.......and......all the other bands on the list in the Blackwater Park booklet. I've listened to them all but those two are the only ones I can think of that I liked.

.. many things, since opeth were my first venturing into metal with death vocals. Opeth lead to Katatonia and In Flames, and from there it was a natural process of finding things, not directly because of Opeth though, but they started the process. As Oyo stated, Opeth led me to this board, and its through this board i have found soooo much music.

most importantly though, i was only asked to join the band im in.. on the basis that i played guitar and like Opeth and we had a mutual friend.. i wouldnt have even been considered if i hadnt of been known to be an Opeth fan!

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
Actually, for me, no-one. I got to Opeth via Katatonia, but I really can't think of a single band I checked out because of Opeth
me too. when i saw katatonia/opeth last year, i hadnt heard any of opeths music. i only went to see katatonia. now i know better:D

Opeth led me to find Katatonia and Anathema... Katatonia and Anathema I don't really like though, they totally pale in comparison to Opeth and I don't see how some cn even put them in the same category of music. Opeth just getting me into Opeth was good enough, it was a total eye opener as to what metal can be, and now I've just lost interest in most of what I listened to before (Sepultura, Slayer etc.) now it's mainly just the swedish shit :D

Not really Opeth, but UM.com has got me into most everything I love now :D

For me, however, I found UM.com because of Opeth. ;) I was looking for more fans. After Opeth, I found Katatonia, Amorphis, Carcass, Novembre (now), Vintersorg, In Flames, Death, Dark Tranquility, does Bloodbath count? :) Camel and more...

They were the first death metal band I got into. I heard death before, but didn't like it. I think what I heard may have actually been black metal which in my opinion, is much harder to get into if vocals are very important to you. Mikael's vocals made an easy entryway for me into death metal.

Opeth got me into BLoodbath (hehe), Nightingale (back after Morningrise was out I got Breathing Shadow), Depresy, alot of THe End bands, etc.