If it wasn't for Opeth, I would have never discovered...?

if it weren't for opeth i wouldn't be listening to any of the stuff i do now. i had never heard of any of the bands i listen to now before opeth. from opeth i went off into edge of sanity, at the gates, children of bodom, arcturus, tristania, my dying bride katatonia, emperor, anathema, tenhi, forgotten silence, borknagar, maudlinf of the well, camel, anglagard, ulver...get the picture? i owe opeth my almost all my cds.

Opeth got me into the whole melodic death metal music thing. Bands like In Flames, Arch Enemy etc. And so many of the bands mentioned here I haven't checked out yet... I'll have to make a list.

It was inspiration provided by listening to Opeth that got me writing my own music... before Opeth, all I wanted to do was form a Metallica tribute band! (I was SO misguided...)

Originally posted by opethpainter
...porcupine tree!!!

that's the real discover of the century!!!

YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN!!

Opeth got me ino quite a few bands:

Mp3's I had before I discovered Opeth: 200

Mp3's now: 5500

Big discoveries are: Yes, Emperor, Enslaved, Novembre, Bathory..

I still owe it to metallica for getting me into long songs...

Devin Townsend got me into Metal that isn't all agression.

I can't say Opeth got me into too many other bands, only Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Porcupine Tree, Camel...

but...what they did do was curb my appreciation for other rock bands such as Sepultura, Pantera...Slayer... many in these vein just didn't really stand up to Opeth...