If you don't know metal...

poundingmetal74

Demons Will Fly
Oct 18, 2004
Canada, eh
www.finalstage.ca
Today I was chatting with a buddy @ work and he mentioned he had never heard of Heavy Metal (I was as shocked as you are reading this) and was wondering if I could recommend a few songs to give him a feeling of the genre. I went with the following:

1. Queensryche - Queen of the Reich
2. Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name
3. Judas Priest - Painkiller
4. Metallica - Master & Sad But True
5. Slayer - Raining Blood and,
6. Megadeth - Holy Wars

I figure each of these give a good indication of what metal is and what it sounds like - from the harmony guitars, crazy vocals, insane drumming and just being downright HEAVY. Anyone have any others that truly exemplify the metal genre?

OK, a broadband sampling of the genre according to my tastes:

Judas Priest - 'Breaking The Law'
Saxon - 'Power & The Glory'
Iron Maiden - 'Flight Of Icarus'
Black Sabbath - 'Heaven And Hell'
Rainbow - 'A Light In The Black'
Deep Purple - 'Highway Star'
Metallica - 'Master Of Puppets'
Coroner - 'Pale Sister'
Candlemass - 'Under The Oak'
Exciter - 'Heavy Metal Maniac'
Helloween - 'Save Us'
Riot - 'Thundersteel'
Dream Theater - 'A Change Of Seasons'
Lacuna Coil - 'Falling'
Yngwie Malmsteen - 'Liar'
Motorhead - 'Ace Of Spades'
Rush - 'Cygnus X-1'
Skyclad - 'Penny Dreadful'
Tuatha De Dannan - 'Behold The Horned King'
Joe Satriani - 'Summer Song'

at work now so I'll make this quick- How about giving him some softer ballads done my metal bands. Death Angel- A room with a view, pick one/any Savatage you get the idea. This way they can see that it's not all bang and thrash :)

kittybeast said:
at work now so I'll make this quick- How about giving him some softer ballads done my metal bands. Death Angel- A room with a view, pick one/any Savatage you get the idea. This way they can see that it's not all bang and thrash :)

Scorpions - 'Holiday'
Judas Priest - 'Before The Dawn'
Black Sabbath - 'Planet Caravan'
Thin Lizzy - 'Frankie Carroll'
Uriah Heep - 'Lady in Black'
Shadow Gallery - 'Christmas Day'
Ark - 'Missing You'
Testament - 'Return To Serenity'
Megadeth - 'Promises'

Some that come instantly to mind. At first:

Manowar - Blood of my Enemies
Fates Warning - Guardian

Then:

Manowar - Hail and Kill
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden - Phantom of the Opera
Judas Priest - Breaking the Law
Cloven Hoof - Forgotten Heroes
Crimson Glory - Painted Skies
Virgin Steele - I Will Come for You
Metal Church - Ton of Bricks
Overkill - Elimination

...and the list has no end.

kittybeast said:

This is indeed a very good idea. Also some songs were there are a few changes in the mood and tempo.

Reactions: #1_Droogie
aqnimal said:
Never heard of heavy metal? Are you sure he wasn't pulling your leg?

I know some people that never heard of metal, their reaction was "that is rock"

by the nature of metal in general, I think it will always be underground, with many people (that probably don't pay attention) never acknowledging it.

I am not talking about the heaviness, but rather of the way in which metal doesn't promote itself for the sake of not selling out. Selling out imo is changing your sound for MTV, and it is not things like involving your band with doing videogame soundtracks or being in movies etc. I know this is not everyone, but most people I see here, also no tolerance for non metal knowitalls, going off topic, sorry bout that.

poundingmetal74 said:
His exact words were "I have never heard of Heavy Metal" The guy had spent most of his life living in a remote area in the North West Territories (near Alaska) .

Hehehehhe, that feels like me when it comes to local bands. I never heard of them, I was at a conversation Thursday night at a restaurant and people were talking about local bands and international jazz festivals and lots of stuff outside metal and I was totally like :err: .

Is incredible that in the information era some of us are misinformed :lol:

I never heard anyone say they never heard the term Heavy Metal and such... but then again I live in NY where we aren't isolated from the rest of the world lol ... most know the term Heavy Metal and do the old cliche stereotyping of it that the lyrics are about killing our mothers, fathers and babies and are satanic etc... here in NY anyways...

I still can't believe he hadn't heard of it. Oh well.

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath ... Perfect album for someone to be introduced into the genre with. If it's not the 'old school metal' feel you're looking for then a bit of Iced Earth couldn't hurt now, could it?

Just give him a copy of Slayer's 'Reign In Blood' and get it over with. He will either run screaming back the Northwest Territories or sell his soul to Satan like the rest of us!!!:heh: :heh: :heh::lol: :lol: :lol:

SavaRon said:
Just give him a copy of Slayer's 'Reign In Blood' and get it over with. He will either run screaming back the Northwest Territories or sell his soul to Satan like the rest of us!!!:heh: :heh: :heh::lol: :lol: :lol:

Gee at least recommend him something good:devil:

P.S. Couldn't help it, I'm so despicable...

Play him "Painkiller", if he doesn't bang his head right away he's not ready to become a wacko :D

Seriously, this is an interesting topic since some of my colleagues would like to see what the hell I listen to, or what kind of loud and occult rituals I attend :D
I'll probably go for melodic yet heavy material, Iron Maiden is usually a perfect choice but I may try other bands like Queensrÿche and Savatage... I'll leave Slayer and Kreator for later :D

I've set a tracklist for my compilation "First lesson in heavy metal - #1 : The 70's" :D

Deep Purple - Highway Star (6,08)
Black Sabbath - N.I.B. (6,06)
Thin Lizzy - Black Rose (7,08)
Uriah Heep - July Morning (10,32)
Queen - Stone Cold Crazy (2,15)
Blue Öyster Cult - Astronomy (6,28)
Rainbow - Tarot Woman (6,10)
Scorpions - Pictured Life (3,15)
Budgie - Parents (10,25)
Riot - Warrior (3,50)
Alice Cooper - Steven / The Awakening (8,16)
UFO - Doctor Doctor (4,25)

I might change one song or two, and then let's see what some of my colleagues think of this... 80's/90's/00's compilation(s) coming later!