If you like SED =C= tubes, buy em NOW before it's too late...

Wolfeman

I Prefer EL-34s. So What?
Feb 21, 2006
Cleveland
Russian tube prices are about to skyrocket guys, due to high demand and bad economic stuff going on over there.

It's already hit the SED prices, but you will probably start seeing it happen to every Russian manufactured tube.

http://tubedepot.com/sv-6l6gc.html

A matched pair of SED 6L6's was $60 two days ago. Now they are $90 a pair.
Fuckin crazy. I can't afford those prices for a quad, like $180? Shit, NOS tubes are cheaper. This really bums me out, as those seriously IMO are the best power tubes ever made.

I might have to make a brand switch. Maybe I'll give the Tung-Sol 6L6 a try.

There are still a few resellers out there that haven't updated pricing yet, so grab em if you can.

I got shafted on a full set of electro harmonic tubes when I specifically asked for jj's

Wild. I wonder if this is just tube vendors taking advantage of the recent blogger shitstorm in Russia, or if there is an actual supply/demand issue in the tube business in Russia. Either way, I am concerned about the state of the economy in Russia and hopeful that things improve for them somehow.

I accept no alternative in my JVM! Why SED of all brands why...why couldn't it be new sensor they suck argh

Yeah I bought the "premium tube package" for the 5150 off tubestore which came with Wing'd Cs about 2 months ago. Literally 3 days after I ordered they switched it to include tung-sol 6l6s.....

Couldn't figure out why till now.

*tip* dougstubes has 'em for 60 bucks a pair, and relabelled winged Cs sold as Ruby for 59 a pair *tip*

I prefer early... has it's advantages when playing live. I love the way power tubes squish out when they start to distort.

I accept no alternative in my JVM! Why SED of all brands why...why couldn't it be new sensor they suck argh

After some snooping around and asking some questions, all new sensor manufactured tubes are about to skyrocket also, within the coming months.

From their FaceBook page - it looks as if the prices on all Manley gear are about to go up. They haven't said why... perhaps this has something to do with the tube market? I posed the question but nobody has responded to it.

This is a serious bummer, we all love tubes and they're pretty expensive already...

Perhaps this will open up demand in the market enough for some high-quality, well-made, American tubes to spring up? It was an RCA invention in the first place.

If I recall correctly, due to the particular toxic chemicals involved, valves are only really being made in countries with more "lenient" environmental safety regulations. One exception that comes to mind, however(And there may very well be more), is a Frenchman who makes his own, by hand. (I believe there's a video of him making a triode on Youtube.)

It has been quite a while since I've read up on such things (Hence the IIRC), so I may have got some of it wrong. (And what if the information available on such matters isn't 100% correct anyway? :loco:)

Nevertheless, after a very brief Googling:
"Certain chemicals can’t be used for tube production because they are toxic, and the ones that are still allowed to be used today tend to be only legal in countries where workers have less rights, and they don’t cost as much to employ either (eg. China, countries formerly in the Soviet Union). That’s why old factories in those countries are mostly the only ones still making tubes today, as opposed to old factories in England or USA."

http://www.pleximods.com/nostubes.html

-

So, something along those lines...