"Ignorant America: Just How Stupid Are We?"

aqnimal

Aug 15, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
http://www.alternet.org/democracy/90161/?c...=944491#c944646]Ignorant America: Just How Stupid Are We?

The results of dumbing down are finally showing. Just look at our schools- the prevailing culture is one that places sports over science, cheerleading over the arts.... Teachers and all too often scientists struggle to make ends meet while we give multi-million dollar salaries to pro athletes. Cities and states can't fund their schools or libraries properly- many are closing or have closed, or pay enough to keep competent teachers, or even provide new textbooks for every student, but they can always find enough money for a new sports arena/complex.

Our newsmedia is equally dumbed down. Features that truly analyze current events and offer impartial, objective insight are being eliminated- God forbid they should siphon off paper/print or airtime from coverage of the latest Britney Spears or Paris Hilton scandal or other "top" celebrity stories(like we really need to know about the latest party TomKat, Brangelina, or Bennifer went to), or are replaced with largely one-sided versions like we see on Fox News.

Nobody reads anymore- God forbid Americans should miss the latest WWF/ECW/WWE match, football game, NASCAR race, or Survivor or American Idol episode. Yeah, like rooting for an "Idol" candidate is really vital to America's future.

No wonder we're in such deep shit.

cant totally agree about schools, they have more problems than just books or teachers salaries. I personally think teachers are over paid and compensated for their job by comparision to their communities. Schools squander money and teachers and adminstration cry like little bitches.

Many people are doing just fine, my heart wont bleed for the scientist nor professor.

Athletes make good money because sport makes good money. Its the entertainment industry and it pays for itself.

That said I believe TV SUCKS and Im not a sports follower but I do believe sports are a good thing for kids that want them in school. No differently than the school lab for people that are into that sort of thing. I've been faily disgusted with the amount of money schools have had to on spend computer equipment the past 15 years. Huge additions to meet the massive population explosion. Myself I'd look elsewhere for the root of the problem than teachers not making enough or the fact that the new addition also included a larger gynasium or auditorium... as Im sure also included were large computer rooms, nice faculty area, spiffy offices and surely something in "the next contract" for the teachers.

The media has always been pathetic, TV has slid off into the deep end but what can one expect of a drama generation

There is nothing to dispute, though if the school systems were privatized, they would provide a better education for about half the cost per pupil.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/04/AR2008040402921.html

When the people cannot think critically and adopt this jock-strap culture (in that it stinks and is disposable, shit is bound to happen. Just look at the idiots they elect.

The problem with privatizing schools is that we would end up with many kids whose parents can't afford, or worse won't pay tuition to send them to private schools. What happens to them?

Here's an excerpt from The Destruction Of American Education on the subject:

Republican supporters of the voucher hide the fact from the public that the crisis in the schools is largely the product of decades of federal, state and local spending cuts, tax breaks to big business and attacks on teachers' and other school employees' wages and working conditions.

Privately-run schools will continue to screen applicants and reject any student they deem unacceptable. While the language of most voucher programs prohibits discrimination based on race or national origin, these schools can reject students based on gender, sexual orientation, religion, language, ability to pay, behavioral issues or academic or physical ability. They would be under no financial pressure to provide help for students with special needs, since it is more costly to provide care for special education children, and most private schools are not staffed to handle them.

The newly-sanctioned voucher system will intensify class and social distinctions. The top schools will be reserved for the wealthiest layers of society who can pay to send their children to elite private schools and academies. Next below on the totem pole will be the private and for-profit schools for middle-class and working class children, whose parents will have to work longer hours and go further into debt to scrape together thousands of dollars to pay tuition costs. At the very bottom will be the public schools, left for the poorest and most disadvantaged working class students. Unable to do little to help working class youth develop learning skills, the role of these schools will be little more than training lower-class students for low-paying jobs.

In Belgium, the private schools are subsidized. So long as the voucher is enough to cover the cost of such education, which costs less to provide than public education anyway, the overall cost would decline and the situation that currently prevails in the Capitol among other jurisdictions would be unheard-of within a decade.

Here's something I found which should illustrate my earlier point about the media:

ne6zyu.jpg

Our newsmedia is equally dumbed down. Features that truly analyze current events and offer impartial, objective insight are being eliminated- God forbid they should siphon off paper/print or airtime from coverage of the latest Britney Spears or Paris Hilton scandal or other "top" celebrity stories(like we really need to know about the latest party TomKat, Brangelina, or Bennifer went to), or are replaced with largely one-sided versions like we see on Fox News.

Nobody reads anymore- God forbid Americans should miss the latest WWF/ECW/WWE match, football game, NASCAR race, or Survivor or American Idol episode. Yeah, like rooting for an "Idol" candidate is really vital to America's future.

I agree with you. I'm appalled at the modern news media. Stories about celebrities or other trivial matters blind the public from what is truly important, and most people won't go out of their way to read the truly important material. This just reflects the laziness of today's culture. People aren't concerned with knowing for themselves, we're content with putting all our trust in government. Furthermore, so many media stories present one-sided, emotionally appealing stories to sway public opinion. A majority of people refuse to see through this ruse and instead latch onto whatever biased article the media prints, believing they are doing their part because they can say "something needs to be done."

I agree with you. I'm appalled at the modern news media. Stories about celebrities or other trivial matters blind the public from what is truly important, and most people won't go out of their way to read the truly important material. This just reflects the laziness of today's culture. People aren't concerned with knowing for themselves, we're content with putting all our trust in government. Furthermore, so many media stories present one-sided, emotionally appealing stories to sway public opinion. A majority of people refuse to see through this ruse and instead latch onto whatever biased article the media prints, believing they are doing their part because they can say "something needs to be done."

This is always true of human nature, to concentrate on the little things like if "drugs were legal" or "if ratings hurt artistic integrity of our well to do movie and music industry". So while everyone is trapped in these petty distractions the theives are headed out the back door with our money and our jobs.

Issues such as drugs and censorship are very different from Jamie-Lynn's pregnancy or who some fucking celebrity bitch is dating.

Why should these "petty" things I'm concerned with distract you from other issues? If you're a competent and involved member of society you can efficiently handle and understand all the issues affecting you. If you can't then you might be intellectually challenged. You should try reading more.

Furthermore, issues such as drugs and censorship aren't "petty" issues. They're very important and potentially damaging problems. They might seem trivial at the moment, but you give governments an inch and they take a mile (I apologize for the hackneyed metaphor). Small, "petty" things are only the first steps towards an even wider limitation of the rights of citizens.

The government is restricting what you, as a citizen, can see within this country. The U.S. used to ban films (they still do sometimes). It's a simple restriction of individual rights. That's something to keep an eye out for, whether you think it's trivial or not.

On top of that, it's a restriction of artistic expression. Simply because a film depicts something that offends a board of film reviewers doesn't mean it should be restricted so that no one can view it.

The results of dumbing down are finally showing. Just look at our schools- the prevailing culture is one that places sports over science, cheerleading over the arts.... Teachers and all too often scientists struggle to make ends meet while we give multi-million dollar salaries to pro athletes. Cities and states can't fund their schools or libraries properly- many are closing or have closed, or pay enough to keep competent teachers, or even provide new textbooks for every student, but they can always find enough money for a new sports arena/complex.
I think every college student shares this burden. At my school, there's a $20 optional arts fee, once per year, which can be easily removed by editing your student account on the school website. By contrast, there's a mandatory $100+ athletic fee which the school charges us for each semester (twice per year), even though the majority of its students don't participate in sports and the two gyms on campus have a separate membership fee of over $60 per semester. Meanwhile, I don't even know what incollegiate athletic programs my school offers and the few organizations that I'm actually interested in have to apply to the Student Association for funding, which comes from a pool of annual $5 student fees.

If only the school could establish a more realistic set of priorities and better organize their finances, maybe I wouldn't have to pay $200+ per semester for books, only to return them (unopened) at the end of the semester for $30.
cant totally agree about schools, they have more problems than just books or teachers salaries. I personally think teachers are over paid and compensated for their job by comparision to their communities. Schools squander money and teachers and adminstration cry like little bitches.

Many people are doing just fine, my heart wont bleed for the scientist nor professor.
Opinions like this are a big part of why we're having such problems. Teacher salaries may be above the median individual income, but comparative to other professions that require the same level of education, teachers make significantly less while still being responsible for paying back the same educational expenses.
That said I believe TV SUCKS and Im not a sports follower but I do believe sports are a good thing for kids that want them in school. No differently than the school lab for people that are into that sort of thing.
The problem is that students who demonstrate exceptional skill in the sciences aren't given the same financial consideration that their athletic counterparts are, despite having the potential to actually contribute something worth while to society.

Opinions like this are a big part of why we're having such problems. Teacher salaries may be above the median individual income, but comparative to other professions that require the same level of education, teachers make significantly less while still being responsible for paying back the same educational expenses.

Not an opinion, a fact, admitted by your own words... "Teacher salaries may be above the median individual income" Teaching is a four year education, by which after 8 years of teaching you have had 4 years of vacation. Most teachers suck and couldnt explain their way out of a paper bag. Im well aquainted with the education system, my father was an adminstrator, my sister a teacher, married to a proffessor, uncle a professor, aunt a teacher, two great aunts that were teachers, knew everyone in my fathers faculty and dealt with the morons when my daughter was in school. As well as having been a property & school tax payer for 20 years and have seen the school budgets skyrocket 300% over this time, all into the pockets of the faculty and adminstration and the fucking "computer room".

Our public schools, same as our government need a serious ass kicking and trhown out into the gutter to comtemplate their fate.

Did I also mention I think all college grads are over paid for what they actually get accomplished in this life ? Which is little to none, unless you consider paper shuffling a biggy.

I think every college student shares this burden. At my school, there's a $20 optional arts fee, once per year, which can be easily removed by editing your student account on the school website. By contrast, there's a mandatory $100+ athletic fee which the school charges us for each semester (twice per year), even though the majority of its students don't participate in sports and the two gyms on campus have a separate membership fee of over $60 per semester. Meanwhile, I don't even know what incollegiate athletic programs my school offers and the few organizations that I'm actually interested in have to apply to the Student Association for funding, which comes from a pool of annual $5 student fees. [1]

If only the school could establish a more realistic set of priorities and better organize their finances, maybe I wouldn't have to pay $200+ per semester for books, only to return them (unopened) at the end of the semester for $30. [2]

Opinions like this are a big part of why we're having such problems. Teacher salaries may be above the median individual income, but comparative to other professions that require the same level of education, teachers make significantly less while still being responsible for paying back the same educational expenses. [3]

The problem is that students who demonstrate exceptional skill in the sciences aren't given the same financial consideration that their athletic counterparts are, despite having the potential to actually contribute something worth while to society.[4]

1. Therein lies why privatisation is necessary in the otherwise-untouchable academic sphere. Through competition, such frivolous costs would be minimized as institutions competed to provide the best education at the lowest cost to the student, including a more economical method of providing learning material.

2. Same argument as 1

3. That part particularly miffs me, as many of the teachers in public school were indeed underpaid, but did very well with what they had, and going above and beyond. At private school, I saw the same ethic though with more resources and better pay, though I had the great pleasure to be under the tutelage of three PhDs and a semi-retired CEO.

4. The very notion that extracurriculars should have any bearing on one's proficiency or ability to adopt to college or university life is absurd on its face. In light of such athletic preferences, it indeed has such an effect. The purpose of academic institutions is to facilitate the transfer of knowledge from one generation to another in critical fields e.g. chemical engineering, physics, higher mathematics &c. All other things being equal, to have the net effect of denying one would would be a competent recipient in favour of someone who is less competent or in many if not the majority incompetent, is likewise absurd.

Thankfully, I gamed the system; the academic Leviathan shall only receive sacrifice of gold necessary to placate it, and not a grain more. Transferable credits form institutions which one would not dream of getting a degree from are not only economical, but have lower standards so one can 'inflate' one's GPA! :lol:

Not an opinion, a fact, admitted by your own words... "Teacher salaries may be above the median individual income" Teaching is a four year education, by which after 8 years of teaching you have had 4 years of vacation. Most teachers suck and couldnt explain their way out of a paper bag. Im well aquainted with the education system, my father was an adminstrator, my sister a teacher, married to a proffessor, uncle a professor, aunt a teacher, two great aunts that were teachers, knew everyone in my fathers faculty and dealt with the morons when my daughter was in school. As well as having been a property & school tax payer for 20 years and have seen the school budgets skyrocket 300% over this time, all into the pockets of the faculty and adminstration and the fucking "computer room".

Our public schools, same as our government need a serious ass kicking and trhown out into the gutter to comtemplate their fate.

Did I also mention I think all college grads are over paid for what they actually get accomplished in this life ? Which is little to none, unless you consider paper shuffling a biggy.

Did you stop to think that if teachers were better paid, the job itself would attract a higher calibre of mind?

Did you stop to think that if teachers were better paid, the job itself would attract a higher calibre of mind?

I understand this theory, but its a theory. A good example of the failure of this theory is executives, highest paying job that has no correlation to performance, same as law makers, doctors, lawyers... all there for their own personal gain not the good of anything else.

I would rather assume that teachers became teachers because they wanted to expand the minds of their students. Perhaps they are cheated by their college education which surely concentrates more on technical knowlege than how to get the interest of and the point across to hormone charged and socially distracted teens. I know for a fact many high honor children become lost in highschool as teens. Teacher need to learn how to keep interest and stimulation, not become a boreing droning sound of technicality. In too many instances you are dealing with teachers that are fanatics of their field, be it math, science, history or english, so they teach as if everyone else in on the same page, everything is taught on a technical level rather than applied.

I dont think teachers are truely morons, only that they go about their job as a moron that makes assumptions that everyone is naturally... for example: a math geek as they have always been, or a book worm because they have always been. Apply the stuff to real world situations, add some excitement to class and keep everyone on their toes. Make it interesting, not painful. Teach in class rether than sending teenagers with social priorities home with massive study and homework programs to learn the stuff by themselves.

I went down this road, aceing summer school with the condenced highly involved 6 week program after being driven to extreme frustration and boredom by months of droneing. The stuff is easy to learn if they can keep a body awake.

Teaching is not a four year degree. First of all, you have to earn a Bachelor's in education, which is four years by itself. After this, you can be hired as a teacher, but you still have a limited time to earn your Master's degree before your contract expires, at which point you are not certified as a teacher and you have to look for a new job (in another field). In case you didn't know, earning a Master's degree generally requires at least three additional years of study, and graduate credits are much more expensive than undergrad credits.
A very large part of that paper shuffling requires a higher level of education, because it deals with math or field specific concepts that are beyond the grasp of laymen. In fact, one of my friends just graduated with an accounting degree and was hired right out of school for $70,000+ per year, plus housing and travel costs, and she was the only person hired out of dozens of applicants just from our school. The reason for this is that she's dedicated herself to understanding and mastering everything there is to know about accounting for the past four years by studying non-stop, and even taking graduate level courses during her senior year as an undergrad.

Consequently, she's raking in the big bucks because she applied herself to her field of study, she mastered it, and she out-competed everyone else in her field, all of whom also earned the same degree she did. Obviously, she's earned that income. You haven't.
I would rather assume that teachers became teachers because they wanted to expand the minds of their students. Perhaps they are cheated by their college education which surely concentrates more on technical knowlege than how to get the interest of and the point across to hormone charged and socially distracted teens. I know for a fact many high honor children become lost in highschool as teens. Teacher need to learn how to keep interest and stimulation, not become a boreing droning sound of technicality. In too many instances you are dealing with teachers that are fanatics of their field, be it math, science, history or english, so they teach as if everyone else in on the same page, everything is taught on a technical level rather than applied.

I dont think teachers are truely morons, only that they go about their job as a moron that makes assumptions that everyone is naturally... for example: a math geek as they have always been, or a book worm because they have always been. Apply the stuff to real world situations, add some excitement to class and keep everyone on their toes. Make it interesting, not painful. Teach in class rether than sending teenagers with social priorities home with massive study and homework programs to learn the stuff by themselves.
You obviously have no idea what it takes to earn an education degree. My brother is a double major in education and biology and in order to remain in the education program, you have to maintain a 2.5 GPA or higher, including all the gen. ed. courses that you have to take that aren't related to your field of study. Everyone in the education program took classes in high school that they weren't interested in, and every single one of them is taking courses at college that they don't care about, so they're certainly not strangers to that fact of life. Additionally, you have to take classes about how to teach and earn a satisfactory grade in each of those courses. It's not as simple as mastering the field of study that you care about.

Even after this, many teachers are hired into positions that they didn't apply for, because depending on your concentration (biology, history, etc.) you can be assigned to teach any number of related fields in addition to, or even instead of, the one that you're primarily certified for. For example, since I have a psychology major and a zoology minor, I could potentially end up teaching a paleontology, evolution, human anatomy, anthropology, or genetics course. Some of these fields interest me. Some don't. However, I can certainly relate to students not being interested in a course regardless of whether or not I like it, because I've already been there and done that.
I went down this road, aceing summer school with the condenced highly involved 6 week program after being driven to extreme frustration and boredom by months of droneing. The stuff is easy to learn if they can keep a body awake.
I've taken summer courses at my college for the sake of earning extra credits and I can honestly say that learning a semester's worth of information in three weeks is easier for me, while I share your pain when it comes to sitting through slow boring classes during the regular year. However, you have to remember that a class can only go as fast as the slowest students. When I took math in high school, I was the slow student, and I needed all the extra time I could get, but I also know how frustrating it is when I understand a concept right away in bio, but I still have to wait for the slow students in that class to catch up. Being a teacher requires you to have to find some sort of balance between the two, and it's not always easy.

EDIT: Or did you mean that you took summer classes after failing the original classes? If this is the case, then you're not receiving the same education that everyone else in your class did, you're getting a bare-bone-essentials, dumbed down version of the class.

Yes I was aware of the masters degree within a certain period of time.I have forgotten, dont they call that tenure ? Still they can be working after 4 years and with half a year off per year I simply dont see the challenge nor the complaints about the income, especially when you consider the benefits package.

I ran my own business for 20 years, did all my own books and taxs I dont see the big deal, unless you are talking about manipulating the loop holes. Which should be illegal and result in execution of all those involved. Theres no doubt that you friend could not have done what I did, so shes over paid or I was underpaid, either way.

Yep, I got the "dumbed down version" and pulled 90's on my summer regents. Your view of this doesnt bother me at all. It proved to me and should have others but that wouldnt suit their job security, that teens could be taught the material without the months of torture. I had other interests and skills in life that interested me and I exerted 0% effort to studies during the school year. Skills and abilities most "good" students lacked. Six week condenced summer program was very appealing to me and I honestly believe the approach to education during these problematic years in a persons life needs to be taken into serious consideration, not just continue the school business as usual. Its a highly flawed system all based on theories that have been proven decade after decade to fail the general population.

The problem is that students who demonstrate exceptional skill in the sciences aren't given the same financial consideration that their athletic counterparts are, despite having the potential to actually contribute something worth while to society.

+1. Fuck sports. Sure they contribute entertainment to some but in no way should they ever be treated as more important than science.