"Ignorant America: Just How Stupid Are We?"

80,000 for a half-year's work? razor, that's bullshit man. I don't think you're getting correct information. What school district are you talking about? If your family is filled with doctors and lawyers, then I take it you're pretty well-off. Probably a wealthy school district? Seems to make sense that they're paid more. You should look into education around the country and investigate more than just one school district, you're in for a surprise.

einherjar - no Im not well off, and my fathers career was long before things got as they are today, but we still had a good life growing up. I have many cousins and of course my sisters doing good, married to a genetics professor at UT. Long career teachers in the burbs are pulling that kind of money. 60,000 in rural areas in not uncommon for teachers with many years. If they make more than 26,000 they are over paid for what they do around these parts. No mercy. Find out what your local schools annual budget is then divide by the number of students, then keep a straight face.

einherjar - no Im not well off, and my fathers career was long before things got as they are today, but we still had a good life growing up. I have many cousins and of course my sisters doing good, married to a genetics professor at UT. Long career teachers in the burbs are pulling that kind of money. 60,000 in rural areas in not uncommon for teachers with many years. If they make more than 26,000 they are over paid for what they do around these parts. No mercy. Find out what your local schools annual budget is then divide by the number of students, then keep a straight face.

You're talking about a minority of teachers, razor. Furthermore, in your last post you said 80,000. Now you're changing that number to 60,000. But regardless, the majority of teachers do not make that much money. Sure, some might. I'm not contesting that. But you make it sound as though teachers everywhere are overpaid. However, you're not taking into account the stress of different working environments, i.e. urban settings versus rural. You're arguing from a very biased standpoint. You claim how you know about schools, teachers, and the educational system; but it sounds like all you know about is your local area.

$60'000 for a master's and experience? I would not touch that position with a 11 meter poll, which I reserve for things which I do not touch with my 'good' 10 meter poll. $125'000, benefits, and a bit of *ahem* tax efficiency and I may think about it.

Well, razor is arguing that they don't deserve even that much. He's saying that for the amount of work they do, they're overpaid.

But he's only focusing on one area/social environment of the country.

You're talking about a minority of teachers, razor. Furthermore, in your last post you said 80,000. Now you're changing that number to 60,000. But regardless, the majority of teachers do not make that much money. Sure, some might. I'm not contesting that. But you make it sound as though teachers everywhere are overpaid. However, you're not taking into account the stress of different working environments, i.e. urban settings versus rural. You're arguing from a very biased standpoint. You claim how you know about schools, teachers, and the educational system; but it sounds like all you know about is your local area.

No I said 80 in the burbs and not uncommon for 60 in rural, where most residents run dual incomes to achieve 50 combined as many a burb family runs duals to achieve 80. That is my whole point.

Take for example people like our little Cypher, he believes blue collar workers should be happy with the crumbs we are thrown and deserve ridicule for little grammar idiosyncracies... which are NO DOUBT proof of our lack of value. So if that be the case, its just as well to say that teachers and all others are overpaid, its a simple comparision. Myself personally I have yet to meet a college grad that impressed me any more than those that have worked the field and know their shit. In fact many a college grad has fucked many things up just by not having any experience, common sense, or thought independent of qouteing from a textbook combined with the cocky I have a college degree attitude.. so just watch me go... lol. But alas this is how this section of our society has pushed things to be, and also supported their worth by commanding money they dont truely earn by comparision of effort. We have a large percentage of the population whos income has not kept up with the rest, I believe its something around 40% of our workforce, I just saw the figure but didnt take notes. We are told shut up and be happy, so I feel it is appropriate to say others are over paid. When "others" are willing to look at the problem rationally and take accountability I could let it go, until then, I'll call it for what it is. Teachers work 60% of a year, no mercy shall I have on them and their money grabbing ways, least not for their liberal pressings of our children and their failure to get the job done to boot.

As for stress in teaching school, like no other job has "stress", welcome to the real world. It doesnt exist in rural America, I dont imagine the burbs are too bad either. Urban... oh well, urban America stresses all Americans... yet for decades we have done nothing about it, so we'll hippity hop along pretending we are clueless to the root of the problem, maybe in a few hundred more years it will go away... yarite. Urban America is growing by the boat/bus/jet load and English isnt even the primary language... not that any of that is contributing to the problem.... Naw

The average American citizen has nothing to lose in the war in Iraq - at least, nothing of any obvious importance. Sure, in a few years it will become painfully obvious, but right now, the average American family with 2.4 kids is too busy paying bills, racking up credit card debt on HDTVs and home theater systems, and buying new cars to ferry their kids to soccer games and dildo practice to really give a shit.

THe average American citizen will turn on the television, flip through channels trying to find 'Grey's Anatomy' or 'Lost,' and only briefly watch the news. If it's not celebrity gossip, they just shrug and ask, 'How does that affect me?' and move on to their force-fed 'entertainment.'
this sounds like it should be the very 1st post of a whole new thread

capitalism is fine with various laws to lock away those that exploit, but alas the population is so large the only way to keep an economy going is by means of smoke and mirrors... however there is never any lack of money... at the top which makes it no better than any other economic system ever put in place

propose another variant of xxx-ism

I have nothing to propose to you and I don't have to prove you anything.If you want to be mind-fucked by all of those rich bastards who gain(!)100,000,000,000$ every year and who has diamonds attached to their big lard asses,you're welcome to do so.

If you want me to ''propose you another variant of xxx-ism'':you can learn about Communism;happy now? :)

Communism is worse than capitalism by far (in my personal opinion). Both systems become boggled down and fucked over because of manipulative, exploitative people who take advantage of the system.

You think none of us have heard of communism? Truthfully, your blatant and baseless accusation against capitalism seems to suggest that you're relatively young and don't know all the facts. Maybe you should learn more about it.

Communism is worse than capitalism by far (in my personal opinion). Both systems become boggled down and fucked over because of manipulative, exploitative people who take advantage of the system.

You think none of us have heard of communism? Truthfully, your blatant and baseless accusation against capitalism seems to suggest that you're relatively young and don't know all the facts. Maybe you should learn more about it.

Why do you think that I'm young?I mean where did you actually have the idea? Look man,you think you know it all because you're probably 25 or something and you think you've seen it all,learned it all.

But knowledge doesn't only come with age and does it make you feel good to knock other people out with your ''oh so marvelous''knowledge?You're such an egoist man,get over it

And by the way thank you for knocking me out.I salute you my master.You created philosophy,I beg you for your forgiveness :worship:

Why should the news system post important world economic/social issues instead of celeb stories? The latter makes more views and money so thats what the companies choose.

The real reason is simply human nature. When there is no urgent reason to want to watch political shows, they dont want to watch. But there is ALWAYS an urge to consume simple entertainment, from ancient Rome's 500 000 spectator arenas to today's bullshit media.
The reason why the TV celeb news is most prevalent in the US is because its ahead of the other countries in its development, the others are lagging behind a little bit (they have smaller audiences & less competition & less new ideas and innovation as a result)