Ihsahn - The Adversary

FUBAR said:
So whats the Garm track like?

He's using his typical mellow vocals at the beginning. And with the mid-tempo music in the background it gives a bit of a peccatum-feel to it. It's one of the best tracks on this album imo.

I disagree with two things mentionned here (that's what forums are for, no?):

1 // The album being predictable: Some parts are predictable to are certain extent. But not more than any album of any other band -> on the contrary!

2 // Peccatum being rubbish. It's a matter of taste, but I really like the last Peccatum albums (Lost in Reverie and Moribund People). The first Peccatum albums weren't my cup of tea either though. Moreover, someone who reviewed Adversary as well (find it here, Dutch) likes Peccatums work more, eventhough he was very positibve about the Adversary. So there you have it I guess, de gustibus non est disputandum.

Picky picky picky. Its good music. He'll have a hard time topping anything Emperor did, but its a good listen with the usual unique twists.

And yeah, I liked what Peccatum was doing too. I don't doubt strictly-metal heads will dislike, but he's doing some really interesting stuff. Not always perfect but always thought-out and fresh.

Ihsahn should be more like Ihcahn...t SING!, lol why doesnt he just sing like normal people, he sounds like a sheep giving birth, but thats ok hes doin his own thing, and thats his path, cool for you fanz.

Captain James T. Fudgepacker said:
Ihsahn should be more like Ihcahn...t SING!, lol why doesnt he just sing like normal people, he sounds like a sheep giving birth, but thats ok hes doin his own thing, and thats his path, cool for you fanz.

i find his screams to be the best in black metal. my favorite

Unfortunately, the comparison most people draw is "it's not as good as emperor"... Of course it isn't! ..Emperor are absolutely stunning in every respect, and the combination of Ihsahn and Sammoth allowed for brutality and majestic melody. This album is definitely good, and people should try to avoid comparing it to Emperor, because he wasn't setting out to just rehash his past.

I am generally very fond of Emperor, but their material is uneven- the best being their first and last albums in terms of art.

The Adversary is superior to IX Equilibrium in many respects. It definately holds up to comparison, although I think its pointless.

Ihsahns vocals in every way are more expressive. His screams starting from Prometheus are much more honest and musical- they rise, fall, and end to punctuate progressions and dynamics in a much more balanced and complicated fashion. I totally disagree that they have deteriorated.

His "clean" vocals are certainly better in every respect.

Ihsahn is frustrating because he has so much ability but never quite seems to have the restraint or focus to produce lasting art- its all a flash in the pan (but very stunning).

I quite enjoy The Adversary. Putting the cd in, and just hearing Ihsahn on the opening words of the first track...i just love way he delivers the vox. There is some badass fucking riffing on the album too. However, I definetly think IX is the superior album. Better songs in general, better production, more lasting music, but I've also heard the latter more than the former.

On a related note, someone buy the extra Emperor ticket I have, it's a show you won't wanna miss! ;-) but seriously, can't wait to see them in July, jesus.

deliverance said:
There is some badass fucking riffing on the album too.

I totally agree with you there - Invocation has some fantastic tremolo picking on it for example (around 1.12 into the song). I think hearing this album played live would be incredible and blow the recorded version to dust.

Justin S. said:
I am generally very fond of Emperor, but their material is uneven- the best being their first and last albums in terms of art.

The Adversary is superior to IX Equilibrium in many respects. It definately holds up to comparison, although I think its pointless.

Ihsahns vocals in every way are more expressive. His screams starting from Prometheus are much more honest and musical- they rise, fall, and end to punctuate progressions and dynamics in a much more balanced and complicated fashion. I totally disagree that they have deteriorated.

His "clean" vocals are certainly better in every respect.

Ihsahn is frustrating because he has so much ability but never quite seems to have the restraint or focus to produce lasting art- its all a flash in the pan (but very stunning).

I don't find I can really compare his solo album to Emperor - the approach is different. The Adversary isnt exclusively a BM album either, but more so a "metal" album.

It's taken me time to warm up to this album, to be honest, I was kind of reeling with the demise of Peccatum, and I was really enjoying his work with Ihriel on that project. Peccatum was really good, a very creative & artistic entity in my opinion.

His screams seemed to have changed since Anthems... is it possible though, that it's simply a difference in production which seems to make this so? - Anthems and Nightside both show vocals behind the guitars in the mix (which in my opinion, is one of the great characteristics of Emperor recordings anyway).

This time with The Adversary, it's infront (also with Peccatum). I dont know if anyone agrees, but I find the reason for this could be that his shrieks are thin, they dont have a lot of "breadth" as such. I guess you could say that Ihsahn has a somewhat delicate sounding voice, more graceful than powerful.

So with this in mind, music like Emperor doesnt go well with showing delicacy from a vocal perspective, but perhaps his solo work and Peccatum do (more adverse time changes perhaps provides more opportunity?)

The man is VERY talented, there's no doubt about that. He's quite a visionary. I dont feel that an "art" approach was taken with The Adversary, but with Emperor (in some ways) it was, and most definitely with Peccatum.

Any thoughts?

at the moment the thing i'm digging the most out this album are his solos. one talented mother fucker that guy is, pure genious.