Ihsahn-The Adversary

~Derek~

Sep 9, 2006
Tennessee
What do all of you think of Ihsahn-The Adversary? I gave up on this CD a year and a half ago, none of it matched up with the single "Invocation" and it was too much filler(keep in mind filler referring to musical parts I dislike, it may be good prog but I'm not a prog fan) so I put it away despite it having a couple good songs, a couple ok ones, and a couple ones I didn't care for.
A year and a half later, before I put this up for bid on Ebay, I decided to give it a chance, and relisten to the whole CD. And that I have done, and of course nothing on the CD matches Invocation, if it did this would be one of my favorite CD's. The best songs are Invocation, And He Shall Walk in Empty Places, and Citizen, with Will You Love Me Now? falling behind those, and way too many parts I could care less for such as the songs Homecoming and tHe Pain is Still Mine and generally the CD's lacking in fulfilling my listening want. With songs like Called By The Fire and Astera Ton Proinon having it's slight moments, this still is disappointing to me, but it has its moments, not very good but it has good songs, but 4 good songs out of 9 songs doesn't really do it for me, I'm not sure if I'll sell this on Ebay or not, I may keep it for the occasional listens of Invocation and Citizen and to learn those songs on guitar, either way, a 5-6/10 seems about right to me for this CD.

Yeah, pretty mediocre. Flashes of brilliance were scattered throughout but, yeah, it disappointed me. Sort of sounded like a less extreme and much worse Prometheus (which i enjoyed).

I thought it was pretty good. I didn't think emperor was any thing other than a bunch of guys trying to hard to make chaotic arrangements sound cool. The adversary had solid riffs and some great lead work not to mention Ihsahn did a good job producing it. Just don't think of it as an emperor album and I think you'll be ok.

Weren't we just talking about this album Wizard? Yeah, I'm glad you gave it another shot. Now you should listen to " I " 2-3 times in a row until you like it.:p

^Yeah, me and you did like 2 weeks ago, I wasnt impressed by I but if you send me the I album via AIM I'll give it a shot.

^Yeah, me and you did like 2 weeks ago, I wasnt impressed by I but if you send me the I album via AIM I'll give it a shot.

Ihsahn is a super talented metal musician, he writes lots of stuff through notes like a composer instead of jamming like Opeth. Ihsahn has his own cool trademark metal style, and I really enjoyed the debut The adversary, probably because I didnt expect a Emperor album and I can appreciate some prog elements. The next album will be heavier according to Ihsahn, Asgeir will drum again.

I liked the album alot, yes Invocation was the strongest track but there are other excellent tracks as well, my 2nd favorite is Will you love me now

I enjoy it a lot. It's like later Emperor, but more rockin'.

coincidentally, his name is Greg as well.

dude, I hate to bug you about this, but are you ever going to rejoin SI? you fuckin ripped on the guitar, I'd go just to see you shred.

/end fanboy rant

I downloaded this album a while back, I just never got around to listening to it... I will probably give it a spin one of these days soon, now that I've been reminded.

I didn't even know Jreg was in a well known band, let alone a band at all

I'm not and have never been in a well-known band. But four years ago I spent some time playing in one that happened to do a few tours with some relatively bigger names. One of them was DRI, and ohiogrinder is referring to when he saw me on that tour.

^Speaking of which, I've had people tell me "I'm glad Trym isn't drumming on Ihsahn's record", why would Trym get some sort of response like that?