I'll Jump In... Superior 2.0 Test (Epic Melodic Crap)

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
I finally got this thing sounding close to what I hear in my head, and I gotta say... I like it more than DFHS! LOVE the snare and toms, kick is replaced 75%, and the cymbals took a load of tweaking (2 splashes, right hand crash, and right hand ride are from DFHS), but I got rid of the washiness and drowned out sound I didn't like from a lot of the clips posted before.

Old version (oooold mix, DFHS):

http://jefftd.googlepages.com/TLG5150NoBass.mp3

New version (S2.0):

http://jefftd.googlepages.com/TLGS2_0.mp3

Neither has bass and neither are really that great but I think 2.0 is a huge improvement over DFHS!

Love the song. Do you plan on putting vocals over it?

The drums sound good, too. How did you get the OH so crispy and clean? The Toms are great, btw.

Sounds good dude. I dig that kick a lot, but the snare sounds too small to me. What did you use for the guitars? I dig those too.

-Joe

I'm still torn - I love the acoustic drums from S2.0, but I'm not sold on the overheads by any means. I'm going to do another mix today with the cymbals from DFHS and the acoustic pieces from S2.0, and see if that's more to my liking.

Love the song. Do you plan on putting vocals over it?

The drums sound good, too. How did you get the OH so crispy and clean? The Toms are great, btw.

I can really only do growls, and I think this song deserves something more. I've thought about it, but I can't think of any patterns. If anyone wants to give it a shot, be my guest!

I just used eq on the OH mic and the close/mid/far AMB mics, light comp and some more eq on the mono AMB mic, and heavy pumping comp on the bullet mic. OH and close AMB mics are up highest, with the close AMB slightly quieter than the OH mic. Mid/Far mics are mixed pretty damn low, and the mono AMB is just to bring balance to the center channel. With the heavy, pumping comp on the bullet, I bring it up until I can 'feel' it more than hear it, and then make sure it isn't too obvious on smaller speakers.

What did you use for the guitars? I dig those too.

81->OD808->5150->Mesa oversized->57->Saffire PRO 26i/o. I like how they turned out well enough, and will know for sure after I lay down basstracks, but I'll probably end up reamping. I like the clarity I've got going on, though, lowered the gain a bit more than normal, and just doubletracked.

Sounds really good.
I love your kick drum. What samples did you replace it with?
I think the volume of the whole kit could come up a bit.
I defenantly prefer the s2.0 version, it sounds really good. The snare in the s2.0 version is alot better, its got alot of smack.
I've never heard your technique on the bullet mic, I'm going to have to go and experiment now:)