Im going to be getting a new guitar soon...suggestions?

Bottom line:

Schecter C-1 Classic

I got one, a Transparent blue... it's really spectacular. Great sound all around, easy to play, good shape... high quality.. $699... great price. :)

I'd stay away from anything Korean, Indonesion and Chinese.

Japanese Ibanez's are great, I like the 80's Jap RG's and they are fairly cheap these days too.

To be fair, I haven't A/B tested a Studio vs a Standard but what is the difference in the hardware/pickups? Until very recently the Standards were shipping with the Gibson 498/500 pups that came in my Studio. I believe that tuners and bridge are standard Gibson fare too - this isn't like ESP vs LTD is it? Or am I completely deluded about this?

I reckon it's a decent guitar for the money - cost £690 brand new ($1200 ish, so maybe a bit over-budget). Surely you people in the US pay less for your Gibsons than us over-taxed Europeans though. :)

Just posted this in a different thread, but I just imported a used 1993 PRS Ce24 from the States for $1100. This guitar totally spanks the Les Paul Studio in every way - it is the finest guitar I have ever played. Do you intend to buy a new guitar or would you consider a used one?

the studio/standard difference isnt the same as ESP/LTD. A better comparison would be epiphone/gibson and esp/ltd.

however, the studios arent made with nearly as much care...are made by machines and far less standards and pre-requisites to their quality than standards or customs, etc. as well as the wood, hardware, pickups, etc etc as i said.

I dare say for half the price you get about half the manufacturing costs. Now that I have my Ce24 I really have no need for this guitar at all.

Might look into one of those Ibanez 7-strings soon, as I will be in the market for a 7-string before Christmas. My best idea yet was to get one built by Ran Guitars in Poland - about 1400 euros for a double cutaway alder 7-string with maple top, Floyd Rose and EMG 81-7s.

http://www.ranguitars.com/index.htm

People say very nice things about these, but they have a five month wait.

Heckelgruber said:
People say very nice things about these, but they have a five month wait.

:lol: Oh man...God help you when you want to order a Custom guitar to YOUR specs from another manufacturer. Most of them have waiting lists of over a year! Jackson, ESP, BC Rich...you name it. If you want to choose exactly how your guitar is built, you have to be patient. :saint:

SanctuaryNZ said:
:lol: Oh man...God help you when you want to order a Custom guitar to YOUR specs from another manufacturer. Most of them have waiting lists of over a year! Jackson, ESP, BC Rich...you name it. If you want to choose exactly how your guitar is built, you have to be patient. :saint:

:lol: So five months is pretty good then. I can't say I've looked at waiting times for any of the US custom shop stuff - I just don't think I could afford it. Maybe one day I guess.

I've read people raving about the Ran guitars, but without actaully playing one of the standard models you just don't know how dumb the writer of a review is, although it helps if they don't say "PEAC EOUT". :) I'm pretty sure an ESP Custom would be beautiful as I have a KH2 - which is a nice guitar despite the Metallica fanboyishness.

You can get a Fender Stratocaster for like 1300$-1500$ , if you can make some more money.

Thats my advice. And I don't understand why you don't like Les Pauls.

NineFeetUnderground said:
whatever you do...dont buy a schitter. its just not a good guitar.
in general I agree. the C1 Classic etc are all frills and no substance, with the exception of the hellraiser- EMG's and a neck through body with quality hardware at $650 new? that's not a bad deal imo.

as for strats... if it was made after 1980 :puke:

f10fd5cb.jpg