I'm going to learn bass

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
Anyone got any suggestions?
Anyone know where I can get a CHEEEEEAAAAAAP bass and amp combo?
Don;t want to spend much, but I don't want it to fall aprat after 3 minutes either. I still play keys but would like to expand and bass looks like something I could do.
Is it hard to learn? It looks easier to learn than guitar,.

So what about something like this:

https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=595

? Is that a dodgy looking setup? There is also the exact same pack but with an Ashton bass and amp instead of Legend. I know both of these brands are at the lower end of the quality rainbow, but I don't want to spend any more than the $400 that these packs are worth...... I also know that 15w amp is pretty weak, but again..... $$

The next kinda price bracket is a Fender Squier pack which is $200 more than these ones.

I wonder if the Trashman has an old bass he wants to sell?

That bass is pretty shit but for learning, it should be fine. If you can afford it, take it to a guitar repair shop and get them to set it up for you - those cheap shit basses are notoriously badly set up out of the factory and the playability improves 10-fold with a decent setup.

For $340 for a bass, amp, tuner and gig bag, that's a good deal for a beginner I think.

Yup I was gonna say what Tim said. Even if you know some guitarists who set up their own stuff, get them to adjust the neck and action and shit for you.

If you're concerned about sound, throw some decent pickups in it and you'll probably even get some decent gigging out of it.

Personally, I'd fork the extra couple hundred bucks and get the Squier package :)

Either that, or take the next step up and buy a *good* one, then when you don't play it you can't say "Oh well, it only cost me a coupla hundred" If you've got a thousand bucks worth of equipment just sitting there you'll feel guilty.

Believe me, I know. Of course, I still don't play it, but man do I feel guilty.

I got an el cheapo one from ebay last year. I haven't played it yet because it's obviously so awful that there's little point.

It cost, w/ amp but w/o strap, about $80. Plus postage.

Get a Squier or Ashton pack. They are about the same in price, the Squier bass is probably better and the Ashton amp is probably better.

The one you linked is actually the one my friend has, but I dont think he got it in a pack. There were some issues with it though, the supplied strap was utter shite, the string action of the bass was really high at its lowest setting (distance from strings to neck, it is prefferable to have it low) but otherwise pretty good.

I got a Stagg bass and crate amp from Billy Hydes. The dude said it was on the better side of starter packs

Hows it all going Spruce Goose, thinking of getting one myself for sometime.
But really have no idea. I like the idea of a package but some the Bass's look ordinary. Like a Yammaha, ESP or Ilbenz seen a few on ebay, but again would like a brand newie.

Billy hydes ok to deal with yeh????

Yeah I've bought heaps of shit from Billy Hydes over the years. 2 Guitars, 2 guitar amps, a keyboard amp and this bass pack. Cool dudes.

The bass is going good. It's alot easier to learn than the keyboard or the guitar.. I've heard though, that it;s easy to learn, hard to master. I've written a few Knobbin songs on it already :)

Cool sounds good. Yes they usually only 4 strings...

Best of luck with that.

Looks like I will be going base shooping on the Weekend in Canberra a Pro-Audio the is a fender package reasonably price, but I don't like the bass and gunna try and swap it for....MB-4 Bass Pewter Grey Metallic it looks nicer , matches my hair...