I'm having trouble switching from fingerpicking to normal picking in Deliverance

~Derek~

Sep 9, 2006
Tennessee
I'm having trouble making the fast transition from fingerpicking in the Opeth song Deliverance to the regularly picked chords, my pick can't get from my hand to a normal position in time, and i'm having trouble deciding how to go about holding the pick while I fingerpick. What are your suggestions? It's the first acoustic part near the 4-5 minute part of the song I'm having trouble with.

There's definitely a better way to do it but on a simple part like that I just clutch the pick in my folded up little index finger and hit both the E on the 6th string and the A on the 4th string with my thumb, using my middle finger and ring finger to hit the part with two notes. Not the most efficient way if the finger picking part ever gets challenging, but as long as you can pull that off, it puts the pick in a really easy spot.

I rest my pick on my guitar all the time, it just takes an extra second to pick up that way though.

I've seen Opeth live twice and Mike always puts the pick in his mouth during the fingerpicking parts.

That's kind of dangerous, though. Hybrid picking or holding the pick between your first and second fingers (as I do) would be better. The latter makes fingerpicking a bit more difficult, but with practice you should be fine.

just play it with the pick my friend. so much easier that way, and yea i'm pretty sure thats how its played live, especially because peter plays that part and he never really finger picked when he didn't have to.

Well I learned the whole song and the first acoustic part is easy with pick or fingers (with that specific part I would think it would make most sense to pick it live but to finger pick it on a recording), but the second acoustic part is pretty tough without finger picking. Guess its not really any harder than alternate picking Ghost of Perdition's part, which Peter definitely did.