I'm looking for a Tube Mic!!!

MatiaS

Musician
Dec 1, 2007
Santiago, Chile
Hi, my name is Matías and i'm from Chile.... I'm new here...

Well, I have a little question for the wise men in the forum...

Maybe in a few months I'm gonna travel to EE.UU, specifically to Miami, and I'm looking for a Studio Tube Mic.... between US$600-700. My first option was the Rode K2, but i read a lot of good and bad things about this mic, so it's not a clear reference to me.
Then i wrote to my friend "David Prater" and he recommended me the Oktava MKL-2500 tube microphone, but Oktava don't have a official dealer in Miami...

So, what can i do??.... what do you recommend me?... any particular mic?

Thanks to everyone!

Cheers!

Yeah, if you really wanted the warmth, it seems like you'd be better off getting a tube mic pre

M audio Sputnik for sure http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Sputnik-main.html

The thing is, how do you know you want a tube mic? -That's a phenomenon I never quite understood. Same with tube pre's in the budget zones, theyre usually starved plate and don't add a lot of character. Anyway, not a personal assault or anything but what I'm trying to say is... you gotta know what you're searching for before finding it. That's what differs many of us recording enthusiasts from many succesful engineers, the ears to hear whats needed.

Sorry for the rant, needed to vent

Well, I'm looking for a tube mic because i want that kind of warmth and harmonic saturation in the signal that the tubes produce... but I want a bright freq. end too.

I want the mic for vocals, and acoustic guitars.... I work doing music and recording bands, so I need a mic relatively versatil.

I trust in solid state rode mics... like the NT2000 and the NT2A, so that's the reason why i looked for the Rode K2, but the reviews are not so good.

So if you could recommend me some tube o solid state mics I'l be very glad....... but I really prefers a tube mic.

Thanks to all

Cheers!

rode ntk and k2 are great mics for the money if you simply must have a VALVE in your mic

i'm telling you man...check those links i posted above

then tell me those telefunkens aren't a total ripoff!

i'm telling you man...check those links i posted above

then tell me those telefunkens aren't a total ripoff!

Very interesting..... some companies earn money just for the name in the products...

Well guys.... any of you have a tube mic?.... any one could record a vocals tracks with out any process?.... just to compare more mics...

Thanks!