Imaginaerum Opinions

I think that after listening to it for a couple of months now, I like "The Last Ride of the Day" the best! Had a couple of weeks of not listening to it at all (trying to build up some extra anticipation for the Helsinki show) and when I listened to it yesterday, it just blew me away! Maybe it'll be the third single?

I've been awfully quiet in general these days but I thought that I'd hop on to give my opinion on the album.

I actually like Imaginaerum, for the most part, but I do have a few problems with it.

The Orchestra
While extremely talented and well done, I was distressed to find that the band seemed to be almost completely overshadowed. It was difficult to hear the band beneath it.

That Poem
Or whatever it was. It was interesting, but I wished that it was on it's own track.

Emppu
Or rather, the lack of Emppu. The guitar work, while well done, seemed to be mediocre compared to what I'm used to. I felt that the album did not showcase Emppu's talents at all.

All in all, I feel that the album did not properly showcase the band in general, not just Emppu.

I will admit that I actually thought Anette sounded good in this album.

I would recommend this album to others because of Anette finally showing her skills and because of the orchestra but I would rather recommend an older album when it comes to the music itself.

That is all I can think of to say at this moment.

Hey Zombie, good to see you here! :wave:

Yes, I got your question about Emppu in the fan-submitted questions, but obviously as he wasn't the one who showed up at the interview, I didn't get to ask him. :( Nor was I able to attend the in-store signing, so I couldn't have asked him "off the record" then either. :(

That Poem
Or whatever it was. It was interesting, but I wished that it was on it's own track.

Programs like MP3 Trim can do wonders!

I've also been thinking about why Emppu's input on the record is missing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Emppu always contributed musically on all the other previous albums?

Emppu understands his place in Nightwish. When Tuomas asks him to give a solo, Emppu will be up to the task.

I wanna think I read somewhere in an interview while the writing process for Imaginaerum was going on, that Emppu was still so very drained from the DPP era that he just didn't feel like contributing anything like that... but I have NO IDEA where I read this from. Maybe I can find it.

I just figured that Tuomas was so "in the zone" with his creative vision that maybe he'd feel too many cooks would spoil the broth, or something. :lol:

Zombie asked a question about Emppu's lack of contribution on the new album, so it was addressed to him; but maybe we could've asked Tuomas that too? Nah, he might have taken it the wrong way, and he was so cool already! ;)

I read that interview (or watched?) too. If my memory serves, Tuomas started composing new songs based on his notebook ideas when he returned from his trek through Australia's deserts with a bunch of guys on 4WD vehicle. The Great Koala Gangbang, remember? (start reading at the bottom of the page)

Emppu has said that he didn't even want to touch his guitar for... what? ...was it five or six months, as he needed something else to nullify his head from the tour strains. (pun intended :p ) and when he finally did, Tuomas had most of the material done so far that there were only a few short spots left for Emppu to fill with solos. I don't think he cares much of plauying solos at all. I remeber him telling in the past that he's comfortable with what he do on stage, so he'll have moer time to flirt with the fangirls screaming in the front row... (sounds like Emppu to me LOL :D )

Not only that, but Nightwish has never really been known as a "guitar solo"-type band. So to not have every song swimming in solos doesn't seem strange to me. I'd be more disappointed if this was the case with, say, Dream Theater or Stratovarius, but not so much Nightwish.

Well, my boyfriend seems to think that Nightwish "packs too much into one place" anyway, so maybe to the common ear, having an Emppu solo would just be even more overload! :rolleyes:

(If he was anyone else, I would have traded him in for a comment like that, but...well, I've already broken him in, and I'm too old to train a new one. :lol: )

I read that interview (or watched?) too. If my memory serves, Tuomas started composing new songs based on his notebook ideas when he returned from his trek through Australia's deserts with a bunch of guys on 4WD vehicle. The Great Koala Gangbang, remember? (start reading at the bottom of the page)

Emppu has said that he didn't even want to touch his guitar for... what? ...was it five or six months, as he needed something else to nullify his head from the tour strains. (pun intended :p ) and when he finally did, Tuomas had most of the material done so far that there were only a few short spots left for Emppu to fill with solos. I don't think he cares much of plauying solos at all. I remeber him telling in the past that he's comfortable with what he do on stage, so he'll have moer time to flirt with the fangirls screaming in the front row... (sounds like Emppu to me LOL :D )

YES this is where I read it! Thanks Enigma!!!

LOL @ C - You can't teach an old dog new tricks! :loco: