Imaginaerum - The Movie

i thought that germany may have a chance as germany has always been a good country for nightwish?! but it seems as if i also have to wait for the dvd release

I still don't have my pre order..! Grr. I haven't even received an email saying it's shipped (did everyone get one?). I need to look into this I suppose. I've been avoiding many internet places so as to not be spoiled, so I will probably not re enter this thread until I see it.

Just watched it last night. It was a decent movie. I went into it with the expectations that it would be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I remember seeing Pink Floyd The Wall when I was younger and how awful that was, I still think it's one of the worst movies of all time, but I was expecting something like that.

I was pleasantly surprised. Definitely a strange movie but neat with sentimental value. Very dark, literally. Was it great? No. As a Nightwish, I enjoyed it though. It's definitely a must see, must own for any Nightwish fan.

Anyone else think that the daughter looked kind of like Tarja?

I just got an e-mail saying my order has been shipped. I am pretty ticked off atm. After patiently waiting for the last few years, I thought the wait would be of on the 24th or today at the very least, given I didn't receive the album until the day after it's release.
I pre-ordered the day that it became available, so why is it only being shipped now?

That really sucks! Huge reason why I have never ordered from Nightwish-Shop; seems like whenever I reconsider the idea, I hear horror stories like this and am confirmed of my decision to steer clear of it.

OK, so I admit that I caved in and watched the online stream that is going around, but that's only because my copy is on the way from Finland as we speak (thanks, Michèle!), so I know I will be holding a real copy in my hands. And watching it on a little laptop is not the same as in surround sound, so I can't wait for that.

Well Cara finally got all of her stuff (that tour book is amazing and I feel like you should get it C - lots of pics from the Gibson show!!), so we watched the movie together a few nights ago. It was way heavier than I was expecting. I will post a proper review of it later because I really came here to talk about a dream I just had that's totally off topic.
This movie succeeds at the whole dream thing so well, my own dreams have been affected (so has Cara's). Last night I dreamt I was at a NW show with C and my brother Von. I don't know where Cara was. C, your hair was pink. Not bright pink, but like that pastel pink that's so in right now. Also you were dressed as a super hero (I do not remember which for some reason), and Tuomas was dressed as spiderman. So you couldn't see his face for most of the time. For some reason there were lots of people dressed as super heroes. I don't remember what was happening with the rest of the band, just the audience. What happened was, they called all the people dressed as super heroes to come to the stage, so Von and I came with you (because why not? ha! and I think Von was helping you). Tuomas saw you and like kissed you on the cheek and sat on your lap. Then he was stroking your hair, and I said "isn't it beautiful?" and he said to me "Yes, just like yours". IT WAS THE WEIRDEST DREAM EVER. Something else happened with lots of people in costumes on stage and Tuomas being really weird in a spiderman costume, and then I woke up. I can't remember much other than the hair thing.
Just thought I'd share. I seriously do blame Imaginaerum though.

Last week, I sourced an advance copy of Imaginaerum. Here's my review:

Imaginaerum_zps95075f33.jpg

Imaginaerum
Caramel Films/Solar Films/Scene Nation, 2012
Directed by Stobe Harju
Written by Stobe Harju and Tuomas Holopainen
Based on the album Imaginaerum by Nightwish
Running Time: 85 minutes
Not Rated (suggested R). Contains graphic violence and strong language.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMhwh0-xcLo]Imaginaerum Trailer[/ame]

Cast
Quinn Lord (Student in The Possession) as Thomas Whitman, age 10
Francis-Xavier McCarthy as Thomas Whitman, age 75
Marianne Farley as Gem Whitman, age 35
Joanna Noyes as Ann, age 73
Elias Toufexis as Mr. White (voice)
Keyanna Fielding as Gem Whitman, age 7
Victoria Ann Jung as Ann, age 8
Ilkka Villi as Theodore Whitman and Mr. White
Roy Lea as Dr. Jansson
Stephane Demere as the Twisted Toy Soldier
Troy Donockley (uilleann piper and Nightwish collaborator) as the Magician
Hélène Robitaille as Arabesque

Nightwish
Tuomas Holopainen (keyboardist) as Thomas Whitman, ages 34 and 47
Anette Olzon (lead vocalist, 2005-2012) as Ann, age 32
Marko Hietala (bassist) as Marcus
Emppu Vuorinen (guitarist) as Emil
Jukka Nevalainen (drummer) as Jack

"Miracles come in small packages. It takes so little to turn a child into the most fortunate being in the world."

Synopsis
Thomas Whitman is a 75-year-old man who has lapsed into a coma as a result of dementia. As he is clinging to his life while his estranged daughter Gem plans to pull the plug on him, his mind is in a fantasy world where he relives his childhood memories and tries to come to terms with his past while facing his inner demon in the form of a snowman called "Mr. White".

Lowdown
It's not very often that a music artist ventures to make a movie out of their own works; and those that do have varying levels of success. The Beatles' Yellow Submarine was a critical success while the KISS TV film KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park is widely regarded as one of the worst movies ever made.

And then we have the symphonic metal band Nightwish, Finland's most successful music act today. As majority of their albums are "concept albums" with songs sharing a common theme, it would be hard not to imagine a few movies or stage plays made out of them. For their 2011 album Imaginaerum, that's exactly what they set their sights on. The songs from the album are vividly created on the big screen, from the bluesy "Slow, Love, Slow" to the climactic "Last Ride of the Day" roller coaster ride scene. The story borrows plenty of elements from Tim Burton films and other movies about dreams and imagination, and it plays very well - making a lot more sense than Sucker Punch.

Produced at a modest budget of US$3.7 million, the Imaginaerum film has the acting quality of a typical made-for-TV special, but the special effects and cinematography are surprisingly amazing. Much like Iron Sky (another movie from Finland), a lot of the CG effects in this film look like they were done on a larger budget than you think. Many of the costumes and props look cheap and cheesy, but they're supposed to be, as a dream world has infinite degrees of surrealism.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQTu4dNNDPE]Imaginaerum Score Sample[/ame]

The soundtrack consists of a breathtaking orchestral score by Petri Alanko, based on the album's songs. As for the band themselves, their performances in the film are minimal, as keyboardist/leader Tuomas Holopainen acts out several non-speaking roles of Thomas Whitman in his 30s and 40s while the other members are simply band members in the background.

Overall, Imaginaerum is a fun ride, whether or not you're into Nightwish and their music. The acting may not be the best, but the visual effects are worth the rental.

Rating: B+

Links
Official Imaginaerum Homepage
Nightwish Official Homepage

References
The Internet Movie Database

Hey, Jeremy! :wave: Long time no see!!!

I love that quote too, about "the most fortunate person in the world". Why this is not quoted over at IMDb, I have no idea.

That's a great review; you managed to sum up in a few sentences what I has taken me PAGES to get across. ;) Is this review of yours posted on a blog or anywhere else, so I can link it on our sites? I'd love to have as many Imaginaerum reviews out there as possible for everyone to read. I am currently working on a review for Sonic Cathedral, so stay tuned!

Desi: I'd love to buy some more Nightwish-related stuff, but I am so broke! :( Not only that, but I just can't bring myself to buy stuff online. I am so old-school that way. Maybe I'll get a chance to see the tour book someday? Hopefully there are no shots of me from the Key Club; I had no time to do my hair that day and had to tuck it under that wrap, which made me look like a haggard old woman! :lol:

LOL, did you have any alcohol or "prescription medication" before having that dream? ;) If I had pink hair, maybe I was dressed as Jem? I mean, I did make a Jem reference at our interview, and I think me and Cara confused the sh*t out of everyone in the car when we started singing about how "truly outrageous" we are. :lol: I would not mind having pink hair like Jem. Or being dressed as She-Ra. I could totally dig that.
sHa_thumbsup3.gif
Either way, I am happy to hear we were all together again, even if it was in your dreams. :D

At any rate, I bet all the women in the real world and in the dream world would try to kill me if they saw Tuomas sitting on my lap! ;)

You know? I think that movie has some subliminal sh*t going on, because I had a couple of weird dreams too after watching that movie. Can't remember them now, go figure.
sFun_doh2.gif

It's kind of unreasonably priced on the NW shop (the conversion works out to like $35!). Since i'm a casual fan this isn't really a 'must buy' anyways, so i'll probably be ok with just watching it via stream...

It's not being sold anywhere else?

Hey, Jeremy! :wave: Long time no see!!!

I love that quote too, about "the most fortunate person in the world". Why this is not quoted over at IMDb, I have no idea.

That's a great review; you managed to sum up in a few sentences what I has taken me PAGES to get across. ;) Is this review of yours posted on a blog or anywhere else, so I can link it on our sites? I'd love to have as many Imaginaerum reviews out there as possible for everyone to read. I am currently working on a review for Sonic Cathedral, so stay tuned!

Hi C.! Good to see you again after such a long time.

I don't have my own movie review blog, although I should. I've only posted this review here and on The Iron Maidens forums, as well as a small anime forum. Otherwise, feel free to post this review on your blog.

BTW, I was hoping to show this movie to my nieces and nephews, but one scene in the middle of the film is just too graphic. :(

Just bought the Blu and the Tour Book.

...damn the wait for another US tour is killing me.

Still regret not going to the Puerto Rico show when I had the chance.

I still watch my Anaheim videos quite often. :lol:

Jeremy: We don't have a blog, but I'll be happy to post your review on our Facebook/Tumblr/Google+ pages. Thanks!!! :)

Yeah, I thought about watching this with some friends/family members, but that one part that I'm sure you are referring to is probably something that might give younger children nightmares. I know I gasped out loud when I first saw it, and I'm not one who is scared easily or can't bear to watch horror films! :lol: (I don't much care for horror films, but that's probably because I used to watch the sh*t out of them when I was a kid and just got burnt out after a while.) Still, I think it's a good enough movie to where you could watch this with non-Nightwish fans. It doesn't rely so heavily on the musical aspects that only fans would "get" or understand what is going on.

David: I know what you mean; doesn't look like a new album is even in our midst for another two years at least (Tuomas said news about a singer would not be confirmed until 2014, and it will probably take at least another year after that to make the album). :(

Well, I'm still hoping to be able to make it to the Kamelot show in September; quite a few OSAers are planning to be at the gig in Anaheim so at least we don't have to wait for another Nightwish tour before we can all hang out again! ;)

OrcSlayr: I have been waiting for the distribution company at Roadrunner to get back in touch with me about whether or not Imaginaerum will be released domestically. Even though the DVDs being sold at Nightwish-Shop are "region-free", they are in PAL format, which means some people may still have problems viewing the movie on their DVD players. Unfortunately, ever since RR got bought out by a bigger record label, certain departments are handled by different companies, so I haven't been able to get a phone call or e-mail back from anyone about it. But you're not the only one who has asked me about this, so I have been keeping at it! Persistence pays off, so I'm sure I will get an answer back eventually, so long as I keep on trying!

Most folks seem doubtful that Imaginaerum will see an NTSC release here, but considering how good RR has been about releasing all of Nightwish's past material ever since getting signed to the label, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same here. It might take some time (I know it took about 2 years before End of an Era was released to NTSC!), but I think they will get around to it eventually.

Jeremy: We don't have a blog, but I'll be happy to post your review on our Facebook/Tumblr/Google+ pages. Thanks!!! :)

Yeah, I thought about watching this with some friends/family members, but that one part that I'm sure you are referring to is probably something that might give younger children nightmares. I know I gasped out loud when I first saw it, and I'm not one who is scared easily or can't bear to watch horror films! :lol: (I don't much care for horror films, but that's probably because I used to watch the sh*t out of them when I was a kid and just got burnt out after a while.) Still, I think it's a good enough movie to where you could watch this with non-Nightwish fans. It doesn't rely so heavily on the musical aspects that only fans would "get" or understand what is going on.

David: I know what you mean; doesn't look like a new album is even in our midst for another two years at least (Tuomas said news about a singer would not be confirmed until 2014, and it will probably take at least another year after that to make the album). :(

Well, I'm still hoping to be able to make it to the Kamelot show in September; quite a few OSAers are planning to be at the gig in Anaheim so at least we don't have to wait for another Nightwish tour before we can all hang out again! ;)

OrcSlayr: I have been waiting for the distribution company at Roadrunner to get back in touch with me about whether or not Imaginaerum will be released domestically. Even though the DVDs being sold at Nightwish-Shop are "region-free", they are in PAL format, which means some people may still have problems viewing the movie on their DVD players. Unfortunately, ever since RR got bought out by a bigger record label, certain departments are handled by different companies, so I haven't been able to get a phone call or e-mail back from anyone about it. But you're not the only one who has asked me about this, so I have been keeping at it! Persistence pays off, so I'm sure I will get an answer back eventually, so long as I keep on trying!

Most folks seem doubtful that Imaginaerum will see an NTSC release here, but considering how good RR has been about releasing all of Nightwish's past material ever since getting signed to the label, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same here. It might take some time (I know it took about 2 years before End of an Era was released to NTSC!), but I think they will get around to it eventually.

You can always pop them in your notebook or PC dvd drive. The software will allow you to watch PAL/NTSC formats.

There are some players at the big dept stores that convert PAL to NTSC (with some speed-up). I think I still have a Phillips that does it the conversion.

Here's one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coby-DVD525-5.1-Channel-DVD-Player-with-Progressive-Scan/21188845

Since Blus are neither PAL/NTSC that would be the way to go. The Blu is coded for Regions ABC.

David: Yeah, I have a PAL-compatible DVD player too, so I don't have to worry about this problem. Even still, it would be good promotion here for Nightwish in the States for this movie to be released on DVD domestically. Sometimes just seeing it on a store shelf can do wonders for sales. I found the music of Nightwish while browsing the store shelves one day, so I know it's possible for people to still find good music this way. Sure, having it on the band's site guarantees a certain amount of sales, but I think having it available here might gain them a few more DVD sales that they may not have gotten; whether from new fans who don't necessarily check the site religiously to see what's going on, or fans out there who may not like shopping online or do not wish to pay the exorbitant price of shipping/conversion that is being charged at the Shop. :(

I just watched this last night on youtube, and if it wasn't for the fact I was a Mega Nightwish fan, I would have shut it down after 20 minutes.

This movie is soooo horrible! lol

Yeah, it looks pretty. The FX are outstanding, I loved the imagery...but you can't just throw visuals together and put things in slow mo and think they will be good. The movie felt like Tumous had some crazy dreams and wanted to show the world his mind...but it really didn't mean anything to me. It just was not compelling.

I would call myself a really big movie buff. I watch a ton of movies - indies, etc...and this was just a mess. At least it looked really good.