Imindain - "And the Living Shall Envy the Dead" HDDOOM!

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
Some reviews for you fine RC folk.

"And The Living Shall Envy The Dead" - Reviews
Category: Music

After a really encouraging second demo released last year, the time had come for Imindain to work on a first album. And it's done now with And the Living shall Envy the Dead which, if it follows what we could have heard on Monolithium, should allow the band to impose themselves among the bands of the moment in the Doom scene.

And as a matter of fact, the direct relationship with the previous demo is plain to hear as soon as the first track for the three tracks found on Monolithium are part of the tracklist of this album. Thus, the music played still sounds as a dark unhealthy type of Doom Death and yet rather melodic without sounding in the same way as too many bands these days. The band plays very slowly and this could be taken as Funeral Doom (Buried Room) if one couldn't find some soft effective accelerations (Nausea, This Empty Flesh), this hybrid mix between Funeral Doom and Doom Metal reminding of well known bans like Evoken, Mourning Beloveth or more recently, Loss.

Let's be clear about something: Imindain's stuff is not of a high originality but they are able to develop a sound personal enough to be recognized among the others, playing on their influences and creating something really worth listening to. About their influences, they are still plain to hear as it was the case on Monolithium with the Big Three bands ahead, with the My Dying Bride-typed guitar parts or the voice which recalls early Paradise Lost or Anathema (Black Water, The Curse of Knowing and Becoming).

The album may appears as monolithic because of the few sung parts and a kind of homogeneity of the tracks, and thus may repulse the listener who could have a feeling of linearity about it. However Imindain prove able developing heavy yet captivating ambiances, notably thanks to mad screams which remind of a descent into Hell (the ending of This Empty Flesh) and recall Bethlehem (the ending of Nausea), Funeralium or Wormphlegm. Thus, the work on ambiances recalls Thergothon thanks to various voices singing crazy lyrics in an atmosphere of despair (The Curse of Knowing and Becoming, Men shall Become Vessels).

To conclude, Imindain succeeded in creating their own sound and composing an awesome first album that all Doom Death fans will surely enjoy. And the Living shall Envy the Dead is a sufficient clue for us to affirm that we are facing a big-band-to-be which will be a part of the evolution of the Doom Metal scene. They have to be placed near bands like Ataraxie, Loss, Indesinence or beneath the Frozen Soil which represent the future of Doom Death.

--------------------

IMINDAIN "and the living shall envy the dead"
(advance trax for Cd)

Not having heard IMINDAIN before i was instantly krushed by the heaviness that was coming out of my speakers as the 1st track(10 mins long) started to play.... Words cannot describe the dark mood and feeling set out as you are drawn into the abyss as seconds go by and each long track plays... (6 trax averaging 9 mins ea)Various metal influences are heard throughout blackish screams, deep gutural grunts, chantlike singing, acoustic parts....Overall this a very interesting release by these new and upcoming band from the U.K....recommended to fans of extreme death doom like THERGOTHON, EVOKEN, etc...
Prepare to be doomed!!!

Wilhelm
Dark Recollections Zine

--------------------

I have a pile of CDs and tapes to review, and when I get a new item to review, it goes to the bottom of that pile, this way people don't get left behind and forgotten about.

I try to stick to my system as much as possible, I think it is the most fair and if I see the pile getting big, I know it is time to pull the finger out and get listening!!

The reason I mention my system in this review is to make a small apology to every band that isn't Imindain that is waiting on a review, as soon as I was offered the chance to review this release, I couldn't really concentrate on reviewing much else.

Bumping this release to the top of the "must review" pile wasn't the only thing I have done that I don't normally do, due to the lack of promo copies of this album, I was sent the wma files of this album, and normally when a band does this, they go straight to the bottom of the pile and stay there until I have no actual releases to do, again my reasoning behind this was I just had to pen my thoughts on this album as soon as I could.

So, I have already done a successful job of building up this release in my head, but does it meet expectations?

Let me tell you, it does and then some.

I have always been a fan of Imindain based on samples and rips I have heard online, and I knew roughly what to expect with regards to sound and quality based on the samples of the new album hosted on their myspace page, but those samples give the listener only a small glimpse as to how good the album is.

From the outset Imindain offer any band a lesson on how to play Death-Doom correctly, all the classic characteristics are there, slow crushing riffs, pounding death-march drums and a vocal range that goes from hauntingly clean to a pure decrepit guttural.

The second track on the album - "Nausea" has became one of my favourite tracks, not just on the album, but out of any music I listen to, the screaming vocals at the end are just (in my opinion) perfect.

The more I think to write about this release, the more I realise that I sound like a record label rhyming off some random spiel complete with a few buzz words, but this is perhaps the first time I have been totally and completely impressed by a new release.

One negative thing might by that coming in at around 50 minutes and with only 6 tracks on offer, the album is perhaps a little short.

This English 5 piece are going to go far, and this is the release that will do it for them, every self-respecting doomster should own this album.

This may be the first time I have given something 10/10, but I just can't find a single flaw in this release – totally fantastic doom metal.

10/10

Toby

www.borninblood.co.uk

Piss Poor Translation of French Review

The scene Doom English behaves very vouchers group, as the cultissimes Black Sabbath, the very well-known Esoteric or again Pantheïst. But also Imindain that presents us here his first opus, after 5 existance years. When one evokes Imindain, one also thinks about the scene Doom French, with, for example, their ataraxie pals.

« And the Living Shall Envy the Dead » Arrive after two démos and many line-up changes, five years after the creation of the group by Dan, the guitarist. In contrast to this that one can expect from a group of Doom, this first put opus as much on the brutality that on despair and the mortal agony of the melodies and vocal. The six long titles that the compose few consisting of songs and bet on the heavy atmospheres created by the guitars and the low one.
I have not the preceding imindain productions, but this debut album seems to follow the way take by the second démo, "Monolithium", seen that the three titles that are located on this one are present here (this that represents nonetheless the half of the titles).
The six titles resemble themselves without copying itself, and the quintette arrives anyway to vary the compos. There is not of "title that kills" or of title that "breaks all" in the middle of the album, all the compos are worth themselves, although "Ths Empty Flesh" me plaise particularly. I said previously that the melodies and brutality overlapped themselves, is not for that that they disappear. The, the singer, we push despair cries absolutely fabulous (the magnificent end of "This Empty Flesh", "Black Water"). Other not at all excellent at the level of the vocal ones, the clear song, that, in contrast to a lot of clear voices in the Metal, there is sung and spoken no. I would quote only the magnificent passage of "Nausea" or clear song and growl agree perfectly or again the song at first of the last title. The second source of these tortured and sickly melodies that have it rediscovers only in the Doom is the guitar solo, that pierces us. Or again when the guitar and or the low one play notes by notes, before to finish us by a big riff.

The biggest defect than I find to this first album is the sound of the battery, that, all while varying and while being not too linear, the battery does really too can to rhythm. Maybe is this the rhythm and the fact that she repeats at length them same thing that does that, I know not. At last it is only a detail. But on the other hand, the quality of the sound is excellent, nothing has to repeat! As the said Dan in the interview, esoteric Greg really did an excellent boulout u level of the mixage!

I find that the cover is all simply magnificent one, really cheer.

"And the Living Shall Envy the Dead" is not an easy disc to surround and to assimilate, but I counsel it to all the fans of Doom. It not révolutionera the world of the Doom, but it is really excellent, I puts for him therefore a 8,5/10 and would be present for the next one!

RIA Enterprises -

Buy this album or leave the hall. 10/10

Deathgasm has it for 10 bucks. As for the album itself, while very good, the best songs are the ones from the second demo. I hope they use more clean vocals in the future to mix it up a bit. They're suppose to be doing a split with ataraxie dedicated to bethlehem, looking forward to that(whenever it gets released).

Spikes told me about these guys a while back and I never checked them out. I just put on Nausea through myspace, and it sounded a lot like Thergothen with mixed in My Dying Bride riffs. I wasn't impressed at all.