Importance of lyrics...

hhaah! maybe theres hope for me writing songs then, if so many people dont care about lyrics :p its so challenging for me to ever write a song. i come up wtih two lines and then lose it....and another piece of paper flies into the trash.

oh my god. im sitting here listening to jeff buckley's grace.
yeah, lyrics can be second in importance to the music and everything. but when the music, the lyrics-when all of it is amazing like this....then you have more than a song....you have a fucking masterpiece!!!!

AH! hallelujah!

Depends on the band/genre. In a death metal band where they're indecipherable without a lyric sheet, I don't really see them as important. Similarly, in a pop band where you don't expect good lyrics, I'm not fussed.

If, howver, a band sets themselves up to be very consciously political, or to express a message, then I think the words aquire a lot more importance.

i think lyrics play a huge part in all of opeth's music, but not so as much in bands like Cradle of Filth

Aaaiee! This notion urges me to retaliate! I mean no disrespect towards you, but I think it is completely false to say so about Cradle of Filth. When reading the lyrics you instantly can notice that Dani Filth is one really educated fellow. As one of their benchmarks separating them further from the rest of the so-called 'goth black metal' bands, the lyrics are prosperous and abundant with references to various characters in mythology used correctly in the context they demand. The stories portray a fascinatingly affecting penchant for classic horror such as Edgar Allan Poe's tales, for example. The texts divulge a huge knowledge of folklore, popular culture, mythology, language and stylistical execution. And while many view the lyrics as overabundant with difficult terminology and wording that means delving into a dictionary for most people, they are worth reading as individual pieces of written text. It can be questioned whether or not the lyrics have the context they demand in order to be fully appreciated - in other words, whether or not their music is good. Anyhow, whereas Dimmu Borgir's lyrics are completely worthless and nowadays complex for the sake of complexity, being bereft of any actual meaning, Cradle of Filth's lyrics are a completely different matter, and really worthy of evaluation beyond any hindering by individual conceptions of their music or image.

Lyrics to me?

First impression comes from the sound of the music. The lyrics can actually ruin music for me I've noticed. They can also highten the emotional clencher. The feelings behind the words alone can make or break it also for me. I'm pretty picky. I guess that's why I was so shocked at how pleasing Opeth sounded. It was right on the money!