Importance of Reviews

Pitchfork Media gave Rilo Kiley rather mediocre scores and Saves the Days STay What You Are got only 1/10 so what the hell do they know!

Reading many reviews is tedious and irritating.

"The band is like ____ + ____ only more straighforward and a different production and song writing, so basically it's like a more metal version of _______ but with more acoustic guitars that are good LLZOZLZZOZL"

Spectacular Views said:
Pitchfork Media gave Rilo Kiley rather mediocre scores and Saves the Days STay What You Are got only 1/10 so what the hell do they know!
considering that site reviews a lot of similar music...probably a lot.

I listen to music first then read reviews to see who's an idiot.

Caelum Adustum said:
Reading many reviews is tedious and irritating.

"The band is like ____ + ____ only more straighforward and a different production and song writing, so basically it's like a more metal version of _______ but with more acoustic guitars that are good LLZOZLZZOZL"

this seems to be a criticism of shit reviews rather than of reviews

I usually scan over alot of reviews for a particular album i'm thinking of getting. If the majority of the reviews say the album absolutly sucks, then I wont buy it.

audiophileguy said:
considering that site reviews a lot of similar music...probably a lot.

lol pitchfork is an awful awful site dude

they review good music but the reviews are TERRIBLE

It's a forum. I could call all of you shitlicking analbitches and noone will care. Not really much of a beating.

My turn

My cock > Your life

Yeah that did feel good. But that's what the hate thread is for.

Reviews=religion for me. I buy pretty much based on reviews. Unless, of course, it's something that is coming out and I've been anticipating it. With the exception of 1 or 2 albums, all the reviews have been dead on.

COBHC420X said:
It's a forum. I could call all of you shitlicking analbitches and noone will care. Not really much of a beating.

Well it's obvious that you don't care since you still got that gayass distorted black and white alexi laiho and some other random homo signature and the COBHC 240 X nick.

I'm not reading this thread, it looks about as boring as your average album review.

I review albums, but I don't read reviews. They're nearly always annoying and dull. I rely on the opinions of those I deem knowledgable on this very forum, and the occasional chance encounter.

hes lying, he relies on my reviews to get him through life.... right?

i agree otherwise. rely on recommendations by people whos opinions you can trust, whether it be reviewer or poster or whatever.

I dont even take most album reviews because it seems to quite repetitive so most of them do not really change my taste. "It's motherfuckin' BRUTAL" etc..

By the way, how do you all feel when the writer compares the album to their other albums in their catalogue? It does get overdone, but I think it makes the reader to easily imagine the style of the album.

The Timebird said:
From a writer's perspective, reviewing serves the following purposes:
1. Allows the writer to express in a structured manner precisely why he/she likes a particular album - may even help the writer to appreciate it more.
2. Allows the writer to inform a particular target audience of top quality material which warrants recognition.
3. Allows the writer to correct misconceptions about a particular album.
4. Allows the writer to offer alternative/deeper interpretations of albums which have previously been interpreted in an incomplete, unintelligent or unsatisfactorily brief manner.

Some of the ANUS album reviews I found interesting. On 4, the writer can also get into the idealogy of the music. The writer also get into how the album fits into the type of metal it subscribes to.

The Timebird said:
From a reader's perspective:
1. Looking out for new reviews by those with consistently good taste is probably the best way of finding less known high quality music.
2. Reading other people's interpretations makes one think harder about particular albums, often allowing them to formulate more coherent and grounded interpretations themselves.
3. Often reading reviews can inspire the reader to go back to albums they've got bored with, having been reminded of what its appeal is, or having been inspired to look at it in a different way.
4. Negative reviews often prevent readers from acquiring ear cancer or worse.

I expected you to say acquiring AIDS. :lol: