IN FLAMES Clayman Re-recorded 2020

Well, now we're onto Leeches so I have no idea if the setlist I posted is inaccurate, out of order or whether they're cutting a shitload of songs for this stream.

Yep, a bit disappointing when these guys were blatantly talking about a full set. The dude presenting this stream literally called it a "full set" which is an outright fucking lie as it wasn't even half the set. If it was all recorded though, then I guess they may officially release both BB19 sets at some point.

I really hope they release full versions of that set and the night after, was a shame they cut it short. Set sounded good though! Would love a live dvd of it

Quality was pretty decent from what I could hear. But I was watching on my phone, so I could be way off. Hopefully they'll release that second night at some point.

I was watching it on my TV and it was pretty good. Obviously YouTube quality is what it is. If it's ever released officially I expect the quality would be much better.

Also this is the first time you've posted on here in, like, 11 years bro :D good to see some proper old school posters still around.

Dude, I didn't even think this account was still going to be active. Has anybody resurrected Everdying yet? Is Archy still around? What about Plintus? I'm really out of the loop here man.

Dude, I didn't even think this account was still going to be active. Has anybody resurrected Everdying yet? Is Archy still around? What about Plintus? I'm really out of the loop here man.

Nah man, Everdying never came back sadly. Quite a few people migrated over to here around 2011 when SOAPF came out, but numbers have been steadily dropping since then. A ton of people dropped off after Siren Charms and Battles, and it's pretty much just us hardcore weirdos hanging out here nowadays :D honestly I think most people just use social media now - facebook, twitter, etc. There is an In Flames reddit forum but it's pretty dead so people don't seem to be going there. I think there's a French forum called mysweetforum, but I don't think it's any more active than this place and mostly in French, so...

Archy used to post on here but he hasn't done for a long time. I have no idea what he's up to these days. I'm still pissed off at him for closing Everdying :D I've got Plintus on facebook and he's still his usual crazy self - again I don't think he posts on these forums anymore though. The only other really old school Everdying era poster that is still here is @Jabi. I would guess a lot of those guys just don't follow the band anymore. Everdying was shut down in, what, 2006? I think it was when Come Clarity was still new. IF have obviously changed a lot since then.

Yeah, I remember Jabi. My last interactions with Archy were when he was a mod at Jesterhead. Then Jester Ass came along. Many, many moons ago. Eh, whatever, I'll hang around here for a while and talk shit about In Flames' new material -- sounds like a good time.

Yeah, I remember Jabi. My last interactions with Archy were when he was a mod at Jesterhead. Then Jester Ass came along. Many, many moons ago. Eh, whatever, I'll hang around here for a while and talk shit about In Flames' new material -- sounds like a good time.

I never joined the JesterHead forums, but from what I understand they pretty much died off after 5 or 6 years. I don't think criticism of the band was well received there, and echo chambers don't tend to thrive too well. I was on the ground floor for the infamous JesterAss :D that didn't last too long either, but it wasn't really a serious attempt to set up a new forum, it was just Plintus blowing off some steam.

There's only about 8-10 people who post regularly here so it's not exactly the liveliest forum on the internet :D those of us who are still around have done a pretty good job of keeping this place alive for the last 5 years or so though. It's always nice to see an old school vet around these parts, so you should definitely stick around :cool:

Criticism was not well received at the JesterHead forums whatsoever. I actually got into it with Anders because I said that Jesper leaving the band was going to be a nail in the coffin (I said it in a nicer manner) -- just my opinion, but I believed then and still do that this was Jesper's baby. It has turned into the Anders and Bjorn show and that kind of sucks. Kind of really sucks. Anyway, I was polite about it, but Anders basically said I was wrong and was a dick about it and of course who isn't going to agree with the vocalist of the band on a forum dedicated to that band? From that point on, I felt like every time I voiced my opinion about anything In Flames related in a place where 99% of the users were drinking the Kool Aid, I was warned or kicked out of the discussion regardless if I was civil about it. Nobody wanted to hear anything that wasn't just kissing the band's ass to the most extreme levels. If you were strictly a fan of the older material and very meh about the new stuff, it was clear you weren't welcome. There were a few of us among the couple of thousands of fans and we were all treated pretty poorly for it. I remember one guy was banned from the forums. It was just kind of an ugly situation.

If you like the direction of the band now, cool. I respect that. But it was never respected that us few thought The Jester Race or Whoracle were their peak years. It was basically a circle jerk for people who thought In Flames could do no wrong.

Reactions: eochaid
Criticism was not well received at the JesterHead forums whatsoever. I actually got into it with Anders because I said that Jesper leaving the band was going to be a nail in the coffin (I said it in a nicer manner) -- just my opinion, but I believed then and still do that this was Jesper's baby. It has turned into the Anders and Bjorn show and that kind of sucks. Kind of really sucks. Anyway, I was polite about it, but Anders basically said I was wrong and was a dick about it and of course who isn't going to agree with the vocalist of the band on a forum dedicated to that band? From that point on, I felt like every time I voiced my opinion about anything In Flames related in a place where 99% of the users were drinking the Kool Aid, I was warned or kicked out of the discussion regardless if I was civil about it. Nobody wanted to hear anything that wasn't just kissing the band's ass to the most extreme levels. If you were strictly a fan of the older material and very meh about the new stuff, it was clear you weren't welcome. There were a few of us among the couple of thousands of fans and we were all treated pretty poorly for it. I remember one guy was banned from the forums. It was just kind of an ugly situation.

If you like the direction of the band now, cool. I respect that. But it was never respected that us few thought The Jester Race or Whoracle were their peak years. It was basically a circle jerk for people who thought In Flames could do no wrong.

I didn't realise Anders posted on JH :D now I kind of wish I had signed up, although truth be told I probably would have ended up banned/shunned as well. I had a pretty poor opinion of ASOP.

I think it's fair to suggest that In Flames as we knew it when Jesper was in the band did essentially cease to exist once he left. From SOAPF onwards the band's sound took a fairly significant turn away from the classic metal/dual guitar harmonies formula and leaned closer to a metal/rock hybrid. I really liked SOAPF but it definitely had a different kind of sound compared to past IF - and it goes without saying Siren Charms and Battles were a massive step away from the kind of sound you associated with IF when Jesper was around.

ITM is the closest they have gotten to going back to the more traditional sound, but it's still very much Howard Benson's In Flames. I doubt they will ever release anything that sounds close to their more classic sound, even including the likes of STYE and ASOP in that group. Bjorn's style of riffing and structuring songs in general has changed a fair bit since he stopped sharing that responsibility with Jesper. That's why I find it strange that there are still fans asking them for another Jester Race/Whoracle/Colony/Clayman. In my view Jesper was a critical part of that formula and without him the tools just aren't there in the band to ever recreate that sound. At best you'd get a pale imitation, kind of like the Clayman rerecording (and even with that they didn't actually have to come up with any new riffs, all they did was rerecord the song in the modern style and it sounds noticeably worse).

Archy used to post on here but he hasn't done for a long time. I have no idea what he's up to these days. I'm still pissed off at him for closing Everdying :D I've got Plintus on facebook and he's still his usual crazy self - again I don't think he posts on these forums anymore though. The only other really old school Everdying era poster that is still here is @Jabi. I would guess a lot of those guys just don't follow the band anymore. Everdying was shut down in, what, 2006? I think it was when Come Clarity was still new. IF have obviously changed a lot since then.

This got me reminiscing so I hopped into the Wayback Machine and checked to see if there were archived posts. Couldn't see many actual threads, but a lot of familiar names. Somberlain, PukeVoice, Javi, Erik Erna, Tobe_,... then I got a little sad when I saw RabaFlab_Rab. It made me remember a lot about those days and how much time I spent on those forums. We need to track all of these people down and get them here god dammit.

I didn't realise Anders posted on JH :D now I kind of wish I had signed up, although truth be told I probably would have ended up banned/shunned as well. I had a pretty poor opinion of ASOP.

I think it's fair to suggest that In Flames as we knew it when Jesper was in the band did essentially cease to exist once he left. From SOAPF onwards the band's sound took a fairly significant turn away from the classic metal/dual guitar harmonies formula and leaned closer to a metal/rock hybrid. I really liked SOAPF but it definitely had a different kind of sound compared to past IF - and it goes without saying Siren Charms and Battles were a massive step away from the kind of sound you associated with IF when Jesper was around.

ITM is the closest they have gotten to going back to the more traditional sound, but it's still very much Howard Benson's In Flames. I doubt they will ever release anything that sounds close to their more classic sound, even including the likes of STYE and ASOP in that group. Bjorn's style of riffing and structuring songs in general has changed a fair bit since he stopped sharing that responsibility with Jesper. That's why I find it strange that there are still fans asking them for another Jester Race/Whoracle/Colony/Clayman. In my view Jesper was a critical part of that formula and without him the tools just aren't there in the band to ever recreate that sound. At best you'd get a pale imitation, kind of like the Clayman rerecording (and even with that they didn't actually have to come up with any new riffs, all they did was rerecord the song in the modern style and it sounds noticeably worse).

Anders posted on there, but it was rare. I think he would lurk and chime in when he really wanted to. I must've pissed him off pretty good. The only thing I actually remember about the post in detail was that I ended my post with "...that's just my two cents." And in his reply, after he schooled me on how the band was "all of theirs", he ended with "how's that for your two cents?" Makes me chuckle now.

Agree 100% about Jesper and his influence. I used to spend a lot of time as an angsty young man bitching about wanting them to go back in time and recreate the classics. I know it just isn't possible. Especially now, when every time I see a picture of the band, it seems to be a different line-up of people. Even if Anders and Bjorn are running the ship, it's just hard for me to stay really into them, when it's so far away from what they used to be. Granted, I actually did enjoy ITM for the most part. But Battles and Siren Charms were big misses for me and I just started losing interest. When I heard about the Clayman re-recordings and remasters, it kind of ignited a spark... until I heard the title track. I'm totally for re-recording old stuff, but come on. You've got 20 years of new technology to make it sound massive and somehow you just destroy it with terrible sounding (programmed?) drums and weird sounding guitars... it just feels very sterile. I am, however, interested to hear how much they touched up the original recordings.

I used to say that it would be cool if they re-recorded their old material to kind of introduce it to newer fans and then at least maybe they would play that stuff more live. But if this is how they handle a re-recording... Jesus, please don't touch those classic records.

Reactions: galvanized
This got me reminiscing so I hopped into the Wayback Machine and checked to see if there were archived posts. Couldn't see many actual threads, but a lot of familiar names. Somberlain, PukeVoice, Javi, Erik Erna, Tobe_,... then I got a little sad when I saw RabaFlab_Rab. It made me remember a lot about those days and how much time I spent on those forums. We need to track all of these people down and get them here god dammit.

I'll try to get Plintus to come back and make a post, but I can't guarantee that :D it would be awesome to get some of those older posters back here, but honestly I wouldn't know how to contact the vast majority of them. I'm pretty sure Erik Erna posted here for a while. I remember Rab well, it was pretty sad when he passed away.

Anders posted on there, but it was rare. I think he would lurk and chime in when he really wanted to. I must've pissed him off pretty good. The only thing I actually remember about the post in detail was that I ended my post with "...that's just my two cents." And in his reply, after he schooled me on how the band was "all of theirs", he ended with "how's that for your two cents?" Makes me chuckle now.

:rofl: I can only imagine how he'd react to some of the shit we've posted about him on here - especially on the Siren Charms and Battles album threads. That got pretty brutal. Maybe he's grown up a little since then, but considering his hipster persona I'm not convinced.

Agree 100% about Jesper and his influence. I used to spend a lot of time as an angsty young man bitching about wanting them to go back in time and recreate the classics. I know it just isn't possible. Especially now, when every time I see a picture of the band, it seems to be a different line-up of people. Even if Anders and Bjorn are running the ship, it's just hard for me to stay really into them, when it's so far away from what they used to be. Granted, I actually did enjoy ITM for the most part. But Battles and Siren Charms were big misses for me and I just started losing interest. When I heard about the Clayman re-recordings and remasters, it kind of ignited a spark... until I heard the title track. I'm totally for re-recording old stuff, but come on. You've got 20 years of new technology to make it sound massive and somehow you just destroy it with terrible sounding (programmed?) drums and weird sounding guitars... it just feels very sterile. I am, however, interested to hear how much they touched up the original recordings.

I used to say that it would be cool if they re-recorded their old material to kind of introduce it to newer fans and then at least maybe they would play that stuff more live. But if this is how they handle a re-recording... Jesus, please don't touch those classic records.

I could understand people asking for them to go back to their older sound when Jesper was still in the band - even in 2008 when ASOP came out Clayman was only 7 years old, so it wasn't THAT much of a stretch to think they could return to better times, particularly as the band members were all the same. Nowadays I don't get it when people ask for that. Anders & Bjorn are the only original members left and Clayman was recorded two fucking decades ago. Rerecording it is one thing, but they aren't ever going back to being a MDM band. That ship sailed a very long time ago - at this point you either accept and try to enjoy their new sound, or move the fuck on.

Out of curiosity did you hear the remastered version of the rerecording that some guy on the IF reddit did? It obviously can't fix all of the problems with the rerecording but it does a damn good job of making it sound halfway decent. It's actually the version I downloaded, as it was so much better than the official track that was put out.

It's here if you haven't heard it.

I had not heard this remaster. I guess I'll have to keep my eye on that subreddit. Whoever signed off on releasing the re-recorded version should be fired. I'm afraid to hear what they did to the other three.

But... this is way more listenable for me. Feels like it has more power, and feels more full.

It's a huge improvement for me. He even fixes the awful insertion of the solo in the original. Literally the only negative I can list is that the drums and especially the cymbals are sometimes too high in the mix. He did say that this was a result of the guitars being brought to the front of the mix, though, so it's not done on purpose.

I'm not really looking forward to the OFTW rerecording at all. I'm sure Anders will try to "sing" in the verses, his voice doped up with horrific amount of autotune, whilst the synths will be off the scale. I prefer how OFTW sounds without synths, frankly.

This cover shows that the guitars carry the melody perfectly, they don't need to supplemented with synths. I can guarantee they will be all over the rerecording though, and probably totally drown out the guitars.