IN FLAMES Clayman Re-recorded 2020

I loved Anders's vocals on that new track. Kinda like ASOP vocals but with better production. That scream at 2:13 was pretty awesome.

Is that really Anders screaming during all verses? If it is he sounds fucking awesome. At first I thought it sounded like someone that sounded very similar to Anders, it's like he's slightly lower pitched and obviously with a different production. Probably the most melodeath sounding track Anders has been on in a long fucking time.

I totally agree with you. Pre-chorus that starts at 0:26 are just on another level. Melodies is just fitting with that aggressive vocals and doing awesome job. Chorus is meh, I kinda wish that Anders was on the song alone I'm sure he could've done better job with chorus. After the chorus a riff starts at 0:51 and remind me At The Gates, specially 0:56 part is purely At The Gates stuff. Awesome song with the meh chorus.

I really have nothing against metalcore, which is what this is. That said, I'm really digging this track. Some pretty bouncy instrumentation and clear MDM influences here and there. I like the chorus, too, but that's probably because I went to Taste of Chaos once.

Anders sounds ASOP-era here (think "Self vs Self"), so I'm mixed on that. But it's great to hear him in a context as aggressive as this.

Tanner and Johan Reinholdz (new Dark Tranquillity guitarist, though he's in a league of his own) have been killing my Instagram timeline with their covers and exercises. IF should try to hold onto him as long as possible. He's been a unexpected and very pleasant surprise so far.

So an In Flames group I'm in on Facebook held an album poll and the results are baffling...
_20200704_094008.JPG _20200704_094030.JPG _20200704_094048.JPG

Actually upsets me. For me list would be;

Colony
Clayman
Sounds of a Playground Fading
Reroute To Remain
The Jester Race
Come Clarity
Siren Charms
Whoracle
I, The Mask
A Sense of Purpose
Soundtrack to your Escape
Lunar Strain
Battles

For context Don't hate Whoracle, it has some great tracks that I love, but I barely find myself listening to it and can't say I know it as well as the other old albums.

Well, you have to consider what is left of their fanbase after their most recent releases. A lot of people who generally like the TJR-Clayman albums wouldn't necessarily enjoy anything after Reroute. They have been steadily losing genuine metal fans for years now. What you've got left are people who aren't really that into metal, more of a trendy crowd that goes with whatever is popular or new - along with hangers-on from the STYE/CC period which is when they were at their most popular globally.

Then you've got us weirdos here who are just in a box all by ourselves :D

Also I'd agree that Anduhs vocals on Tanner's song sound similar to SOAPF at times, especially A New Dawn where he has that deeper style growl going on. I don't think he'd necessarily sing the chorus better than the other guy (imagine the autotune) but it would be better if somebody like Speed from Soilwork was singing it.

Reactions: TheJestersDoor
I can’t stand Pantera and all that early 90s southern metal stuff. Sounds bad to me.

Southern metal isn't my cup of tea either but there are a handful of Pantera songs I like. Cowboys From Hell, Cemetary Gates, Fucking Hostile and Walk are good stuff. I can't listen to entire Pantera albums as I get bored, but they do have some really solid tracks.

As you said, a few solid tracks. The problem with bands like those is that, once you listen to more than a few tracks is fucking boring.

I have never understood all the hype about pantera and I don't understand all the hype about lamb of god.

As you said, a few solid tracks. The problem with bands like those is that, once you listen to more than a few tracks is fucking boring.

Yeah, it gets a bit much after a while. The songs aren't really diverse enough to keep my attention the entire way through. I was checking the other day and I don't think, for example, I have a single pure death metal album in my collection. Same problem, I always get bored after a few songs because they all sound kind of the same (and vocals usually sound like a toilet flushing, which is not my thing).

I have Vulgar Display of Power and I have only listened to it twice. Such a waste of money.

I also don't like pure death metal. Is highly uninteresting. The only few death metal albums are old Entombed and I don't listen to them that much.

Cowboys From Hell is the only full Pantera album I have - and I think the only reason for that is because it still has some elements from their former 80s thrash style which diversifies things a little. Vulgar Display of Power is pretty much full on Southern metal and it's not for me. I think it would be fun to hear live back in the day, but nothing I'd want to listen to on my own.

Hmmm, I actually think I do own one death metal album - Soulside Journey by Darkthrone. I actually really like that album. I think it's he only DM record they made, as everything after that was Black Metal. I'm not really sure why I like Soulside Journey, it's just one of those albums that clicks with me.

I really have no idea why I like this :D it doesn't sound like literally anything else I listen to. Some of the lyrics make me laugh. "I am allergic to my own tongue", "I spit in the mouth of the priest", "so what if I'm fucking insane, I'll fucking kill you anyway" :rofl: crazy fucks.

My favourite DM album is To Ride, Shoot Straight And Speak The Truth and I don't even think that is a death metal.album.

My favourite DM album is To Ride, Shoot Straight And Speak The Truth and I don't even think that is a death metal.album.

I'm not even sure how to categorise this :D it's like DM combined with groove metal. Apparently its official definition is 'Death n roll' ... which, yeah, I guess. If I'm listening to DM or Black Metal I need some groove or melody in there. I'm not a huge fan of Satyricon, but some of their songs have a groove type feel which I enjoy. For example, Skyggedans.

I Am The Black Wizards by Emperor is another one of these old school BM tracks I really like, even though production sounds like it was recorded in a toilet.

But again, with these bands it tends to be handful of tracks I like rather than entire albums.

I used to like black metal a decade ago or so. But now I don't.

This is my favourite Entombed song. The ambience is perfect.

I went through a black metal phase when I was younger, but I don't really listen to any nowadays. Entombed's vocals don't really do anything for me, but they have some good riffs in there.

They do. My problem with black metal is that everything sounds over the top. Oversaturated. I would appreciate bands that could maintain the themes but skip the standards of the genre regarding how they produce the music.

With older BM it's difficult for me to get past the terrible production. I know it's produced that way on purpose for 'atmosphere' or whatever but it's tough to listen to. Late-90s and early-2000s BM was more sympohic and melodic, like Dimmu Borgir, or became more groove-orientated like Satyricon and arguably wasn't even BM anymore. I don't listen to modern day bands in this genre so I can't say how it has evolved from that point.

Last edited:
I guess... I prefer something like Emperor. They don't have that saturation of melodies and instruments of bands like DM. More effective and authentic.