IN FLAMES Clayman Re-recorded 2020

In fact, I genuinely remember World of Promises being my favourite IF track for a while when I was a lot younger (pre-Reroute).

Straight into the melodic guitar onslaught from the opening, no synth bullshit like we'd get nowadays. First verses are a little weird vocally, but I find it interesting how Anders' vocals in this cover are quite different to how he sounds on the rest of Clayman - a lot of deeper style growls which aren't common on that album. Makes me wonder if this was recorded some time before the normal Clayman songs. Chorus is super catchy, then the second full verse goes in hard with the drumming, riffs and vocals, love it :cool: more of the deeper growls from Anders and cool sounding effect on the "and they won't surrender". The bridge section is full of melody and Anders with more of the yelling vocal that wouldn't really be heard again until he did it much worse on ASOP. Amazing sounding solo, before heading back to the chorus and dat "promises" growl at 03:28 as the song is starting to fade out.

Great cover, but mainly because In Flames made it their own. They weren't trying to copy or sound like Treat - they took that song and made it sound like In Flames. It's definitely my favourite out of all the songs they've covered, not even close.

I love this cover as well, and it's definitely my favorite one as well. The part you mentioned as well is my favorite to. I wonder though, in the last chorus especially there's these light backing vocals, it doesn't sound like Anders really, or not Anders by himself at least. I wonder what it is.
Also, if I'm not mistaken it's from Clayman sessions? At least when I looked it up, which I find kinda weird cause the production doesn't sound that Clayman-esque, and the vocals sounds like a mix of Colony and Clayman, especially the last growl sounds nothing like anything on Clayman.
Also when I was looking it up, I found that there's supposed to be a music video of both Colony & Ordinary Story? I know about the Ordinary Story one, but never think I've ever seen a music video for Colony. Maybe it never aired, or it just aired a bit on TV 1999 and no one ever saved it.

I love this cover as well, and it's definitely my favorite one as well. The part you mentioned as well is my favorite to. I wonder though, in the last chorus especially there's these light backing vocals, it doesn't sound like Anders really, or not Anders by himself at least. I wonder what it is.
Also, if I'm not mistaken it's from Clayman sessions? At least when I looked it up, which I find kinda weird cause the production doesn't sound that Clayman-esque, and the vocals sounds like a mix of Colony and Clayman, especially the last growl sounds nothing like anything on Clayman.
Also when I was looking it up, I found that there's supposed to be a music video of both Colony & Ordinary Story? I know about the Ordinary Story one, but never think I've ever seen a music video for Colony. Maybe it never aired, or it just aired a bit on TV 1999 and no one ever saved it.

Yeah I don't think the backing vocals in the last chorus section are Anders, but I don't think they are credited in the Clayman booklet so we will probably never know who it is. It would be an interesting question to ask Anders but if his recent answers about Clayman are anything to go by he wouldn't remember.

It would make sense for it to be from the Clayman sessions, it's just weird because his vocals sound different to the rest of the album. I don't think he does that deeper style of growl on any other songs on the normal album, or Strong & Smart, but I'd have to re-listen to the album to check for sure. As far as I remember he uses the higher-pitched scream for the entire album, whereas the World of Promises cover is a mix of scream, growl, half-yelling and S&A/OFTW/Suburban Me style mumbling at the beginning. I agree that the production is a bit different as well. It sounds like it was recorded between Colony & Clayman, but I don't know if they would have had time to do so.

I've seen the Ordinary Story video, but I've never seen a video for Colony. Considering all the weird and rare IF stuff that's been uploaded to YouTube over the years I would have expected a Colony video to have surfaced if it did exist.

Shout out to UM IF forums favourite scene band, the Black Veil Brides :cool: now where have I heard that intro before? :D (for the record this came out before SOAPF... I think Bjorn might have heard this song before recording one track in particular).

So I got the Death is Just the Beginning IV album from 1996 with the Episode 666 demo on it. Sadly no lyrics in the booklet, just pictures & descriptions of all the bands. For In Flames it says...

"Hailing from Gothenberg, one of Sweden's top death metal acts, IN FLAMES fuse intense metal with their melodic folk roots. What you have is "Episode 666", an inspiring track that leads the way in the new wave of Swedish metal. IN FLAMES will ignite your soul as they engrave their mark on the extreme music scene.

Current album: The Jester Race"

Reactions: eochaid
XHA7RBQ.jpg

y0U3Xms.jpg

qwZTmae.jpg

cliyzJd.jpg

xkxIhEN.jpg

Nothing like getting a new CD :cool:

Wow, seeing Gorefest there surprised me. An awesome band, havent listening them for years now I just wanna spin it :D

There are a fair few bands on there I recognise, some I don't - but I'm looking forward to spinning both discs and seeing if I find anything I like. Mid-90s was a great time for this kind of metal, so I'm sure I'll find something interesting. It's still funny to me that I can search Amazon for some random, fairly obscure extreme metal compilation CD from the mid-90s and it's instantly there and ready to be sent :D truly a great time to be alive, COVID and Western society in general aside.

I find this concept of saying happy birthday to an album pretty strange. It's also weird to hear people congratulating IF when only 2 remaining members are still in the band. Like everything to do with this rerelease it feels like a cheap and hollow marketing stunt.

I have no idea who that band is, by the sounds of it American Metalcore which isn't really my thing. Not the kind of vocals I'm used to hearing from Anders, but better than most of the recent output.

Night Fiends, the project started by In Flames drummer Tanner Wayne and pro skater Elliot Sloan

Oh :rofl: well they sound more metal than modern IF anyway.

Hmmm, mostly just standard metalcore but some good riffs here and there. Solo is very nice.

Shit, this one is actually pretty good. Very old school MDM vibe. Solo again pretty awesome.

This one isn't bad at all either.

Tanner, my man :cool: let this dude write the next IF album. Random American bro drummer has more clue on MDM than Anders & Bjorn these days which is sad but I've gained a lot more respect for him after hearing this stuff.

Yo me all of those bands sound the same. They have great technique and play fast but there's nothing that catches my attention.

Almost like 90% of American bands.

Reactions: drawntoblack
Yeah, I'm not sure I've ever seen anything impress you :D

Night Fiends isn't anything original but it's way closer to the European metal sound than most American bands get close to. It's legitimately the best hope any of us have of Andurz actually doing some MDM vocals on a proper MDM track ever again - because it certainly won't be coming from IF. With that said the Instagram clip sounded quite metalcore-ish which I'm less interested in.

That's because you missed my first reaction to Clayman :D.

And yes, I also prefer American bands with European influences. I tried listening to bands like Lamb of God, with a more pure American sound, but I find them fucking boring.

That's because you missed my first reaction to Clayman :D.

And yes, I also prefer American bands with European influences. I tried listening to bands like Lamb of God, with a more pure American sound, but I find them fucking boring.

One day I'll find something that impresses you... one day :D

There aren't many American metal bands I like (outside of traditional heavy & power metal). All the 'extreme' bands sound similar and boring, very little melody, just focused on being 'br0000tal' which is fine but not my thing. Heaviness is fine but I need it to be balanced out with some good ol' melodies or I get bored quickly.

Lamb of God, never been into them. They had a couple of OK songs but overall typical American extreme metal, not interesting.