IN FLAMES Clayman Re-recorded 2020

Hace you tried Amazon or the nuclear blast shop?

My most, I guess IF rarities must be the vinyl copies of come clarity and deliver us singles.

Speaking of Battles... are we all in agreement that those are programmed drums, despite Anders and Bjorn saying they aren't? I'm convinced the drums on the re-recording of Clayman are programmed as well. As a drummer, they stick out like a sore thumb for me. They're way too cold and sterile feeling.

Speaking of Battles... are we all in agreement that those are programmed drums, despite Anders and Bjorn saying they aren't? I'm convinced the drums on the re-recording of Clayman are programmed as well. As a drummer, they stick out like a sore thumb for me. They're way too cold and sterile feeling.

I think they are a combination of overly compressed real drums and some samples. I, The Mask as a whole I'm not sure but ironically House definitely has real drums, you can tell by the dynamics of them, even if it's still not a great drum sound. House was finished separately to the rest of the album, with Tanner.

My thought has always been programmed or not, the drums sound like shit. With that said it's not uncommon for IF to have bad drum production - STYE had issues with the snare in particular, drums didn't sound great on ASOP or SC either. ITM they're okay, I guess. The last album I thought the drums really stood out in any way was SOAPF. Since then they are much like bass in IF songs, relegated way into the background to support the vocals and guitars.

Reactions: TheJestersDoor

Here's one for Slave - Behind Space with Stanne on vocals, Jesper on drums and Glenn Ljungstrom on guitars from 2004 :cool:

Reactions: Man Made Bod
Did some reading through the previous page. My brother and I actually got into IF with Reroute and STYE (the latter had just come out that same month), so in retrospect we were perfectly primed to like both the earlier stuff and their later stuff. Our first three songs were, in order, Cloud Connected, OFTW, and My Sweet Shadow. I’d kill to hear MSS live again.

We thought that everything up to and including Clayman was its own “era”, Reroute and STYE were “our” albums, and CC and beyond were another era. We didn’t hate any of it — each album represented a different facet of an awesome and versatile band. Although we admittedly treated Lunar Strain as the proof-of-concept it was. But R2R and STYE were the IF we knew first and best, and to this day we still talk fondly about those albums specifically when the band gets brought up.

He had moved on in the years between ASOP and SOAPF, but I kept listening. I didn’t experience my first disappointment with an IF album until Battles and, to a lesser extent, ItM.

Yeah, those were really cool. I can remember a long time ago on the IF website there was a video of Jesper & Bjorn playing "In Flames" from Lunar Strain, which was awesome. I have never seen it on YT though so it's probably gone forever :(

I was curious to remember my initial reaction to SOAPF, so I went hunting in the album thread and I'm kind of surprised. Most people were a lot more enthusiastic than me about it :D I didn't dislike it but I wasn't blown away by it either. I had Ropes and WTDSD in my "indifferent" list which is weird, as I love both of those songs nowadays. Ropes especially has some amazing guitar work from Bjorn.

Good to see I still hated All For Me at the time. I listened to it again just now and still feel the same way. For the most part that song just sucks. There is some really nice melodic work in the intro and around 3/4 in, but most of the track is comprised of gross Bottled-style riffing and Anders vocals on that song are just terrible. Bad singing which doesn't even flow in rhythm with the instruments. I will never understand why people liked/like that one so much.

Last edited:
Good to see I still hated All For Me at the time. I listened to it again just now and still feel the same way. For the most part that song just sucks. There is some really nice melodic work in the intro and around 3/4 in, but most of the track is comprised of gross Bottled-style riffing and Anders vocals on that song are just terrible. Bad singing which doesn't even flow in rhythm with the instruments. I will never understand why people liked/like that one so much.

Talking about hating, there's one song that I could never get into; Paralyzed. I can't call it hate but I just dont like the song. Until today when I heard its live version. I was listening tracks from Sounds from the heart of Gothenburg when I was playing game and this one just started playing. I wanna skip it but I was playing and didn't wanna bother :D Listening to it, I really enjoy its live version. Loved the keyboards at verses, actually surprised by Anders's singing cause I think it was pretty good. Now I'm hooked to the song. :D

Talking about hating, there's one song that I could never get into; Paralyzed. I can't call it hate but I just dont like the song. Until today when I heard its live version. I was listening tracks from Sounds from the heart of Gothenburg when I was playing game and this one just started playing. I wanna skip it but I was playing and didn't wanna bother :D Listening to it, I really enjoy its live version. Loved the keyboards at verses, actually surprised by Anders's singing cause I think it was pretty good. Now I'm hooked to the song. :D

Yeah, most of the SC songs sound better in a live environment. I never disliked the album version, but it didn't really hold my interest either. The verse riffs are really boring and Anders' vocals don't fit in properly with the instruments which is a common problem across SC. The chorus is cool, and Anders' scream at the very end of the song is awesome, but that's about it. Live version has more power and it's not so obvious that the vocals/instruments are so irritatingly misaligned.

I can remember a long time ago on the IF website there was a video of Jesper & Bjorn playing "In Flames" from Lunar Strain, which was awesome. I have never seen it on YT though so it's probably gone forever :(

Fear not! I found it on Youtube a while back, of course it would be hard to find since the title is misleading:

Just love it when IF does covers (yes thats includes No Good EP too).

IF does a pretty good job covering Depeche Mode songs; Everything Counts worked well for Whoracle and It's No Good is the only cover on that EP that I liked. Anders cleans work best when he does his gothic crooning/uses his lower register. That Nine Inch Nails cover, though :puke:

Reactions: DE4life
Fear not! I found it on Youtube a while back, of course it would be hard to find since the title is misleading:

Bro, thank you! I've been looking for that for years - I was starting to think I dreamt it :D

IF does a pretty good job covering Depeche Mode songs; Everything Counts worked well for Whoracle and It's No Good is the only cover on that EP that I liked. Anders cleans work best when he does his gothic crooning/uses his lower register. That Nine Inch Nails cover, though :puke:

Best covers are the ones with no singing :D Everything Counts, Strong & Smart and World of Promises are all awesome. So good that you wouldn't even necessarily know they were covers unless you knew the original songs or read the booklet. They fit those three songs into "the IF sound" absolutely perfectly. S&S and World of Promises are at the same quality level as all the other stuff on Clayman which is amazing, really.

I have to say I didn't like the "Land of Confusion" cover at all, though, and I hate that recent covers EP and pretend it doesn't exist.

Paralyzed is actually my favorite song of Siren Charms, along with Dead eyes! Great riffs and I just love the groove of it especially in the verses. The chorus ain't nothing special but overall a really good song, 8/10 for me

In fact, I genuinely remember World of Promises being my favourite IF track for a while when I was a lot younger (pre-Reroute).

Straight into the melodic guitar onslaught from the opening, no synth bullshit like we'd get nowadays. First verses are a little weird vocally, but I find it interesting how Anders' vocals in this cover are quite different to how he sounds on the rest of Clayman - a lot of deeper style growls which aren't common on that album. Makes me wonder if this was recorded some time before the normal Clayman songs. Chorus is super catchy, then the second full verse goes in hard with the drumming, riffs and vocals, love it :cool: more of the deeper growls from Anders and cool sounding effect on the "and they won't surrender". The bridge section is full of melody and Anders with more of the yelling vocal that wouldn't really be heard again until he did it much worse on ASOP. Amazing sounding solo, before heading back to the chorus and dat "promises" growl at 03:28 as the song is starting to fade out.

Great cover, but mainly because In Flames made it their own. They weren't trying to copy or sound like Treat - they took that song and made it sound like In Flames. It's definitely my favourite out of all the songs they've covered, not even close.

Strong and Smart!! I forgot how good that cover was. I think the same band they covered also covered Episode 666 in response.

The last EP sounds like IF covering Depech Mode covering other bands. The AIC cover is painful to listen at and there are better versions to Wicked Games.

Why they even bothered to release covers that don't sound like the originals but also don't sound like IF covering the originals goes beyond my imagination. I can just guess that they were drunken as fuck and thought it was a good idea for whatever reason.