IN FLAMES Clayman Re-recorded 2020

Yeah but Siren Charms is better. Lyrics are better and no auto tune.

Throw it all away
Until we are erased
And it doesn't mean a thing

How come we walk a mile just to shatter what we love?
Eyes wide open
Reflections of an unfamiliar face saying
You know you are heading
The lost dream of what could have been
It makes no difference

Siren Charms just isn't In Flames. It contains hardly any of the band's trademark sounds and is so downbeat and slow. This wouldn't be so bad if any part of the actual music was creative or inspired, but the vast majority of the album is incredibly basic and bland. It literally sounds like Bjorn wrote most of the riffs in his sleep. Anders vocals go from being passable in some songs (With Eyes Wide Open, Through Oblivion) to being downright awful in others (most of the rest of the album).

Best tracks are the two bonus tracks that aren't even on the main album. Other than that I don't mind With Eyes Wide Open and Through Oblivion. The rest of the album is pretty much uninspired garbage. I don't know what they were thinking with this album really, but whatever they were going for ended up being a huge fail.

As far as Battles is concerned... soulless, empty, boring. Wallflower is the only track on that album worth a damn - basically TCP done better, but still nothing amazing.

Both albums suck but if I was forced at gunpoint to choose one to listen to it'd probably be Siren Charms.

Reactions: eochaid
Siren Charms EP

1 Paralyzed
2 With Eyes Wide Open
3 Dead Eyes
4 Filtered Truth

9/10

Good song writing, good lyrics, instruments sound clear in the mix. Good vocals. Good solos or guitar parts that aren’t tired derivatives of past works. But tasteful references to old school stuff they haven’t touched in a while (TJR).

Last edited:
Both SC and Battles are not good albums, but at least SC has more emotion. Battles is indifferent and soulless.

One thing is for sure: The fact that Anders and Bjorn are spending time on their own, writing music in Sweden, faraway from Howard Benson & CO can only be good.

Reactions: galvanized
Siren Charms EP

1 Paralyzed
2 With Eyes Wide Open
3 Dead Eyes
4 Filtered Truth

9/10

Good song writing, good lyrics, instruments sound clear in the mix. Good vocals. Good solos or guitar parts that aren’t tired derivatives of past works. But tasteful references to old school stuff they haven’t touched in a while (TJR).
More like 5/10 and I'm being generous.

Both SC and Battles are not good albums, but at least SC has more emotion. Battles is indifferent and soulless.

One thing is for sure: The fact that Anders and Bjorn are spending time on their own, writing music in Sweden, faraway from Howard Benson & CO can only be good.
Didn't they do the same for battles? The writting process started 3 months before they entered the studio. And, I the Mask is far better than Battles or Siren Charms. Yeah, I know that was not a difficult task, and also is not a great album and has some forgettable songs and the rest aren't outstanding, but it was produced by Benson. So, maybe, Benson is not the problem here.

Siren Charms just isn't In Flames. It contains hardly any of the band's trademark sounds and is so downbeat and slow. This wouldn't be so bad if any part of the actual music was creative or inspired, but the vast majority of the album is incredibly basic and bland. It literally sounds like Bjorn wrote most of the riffs in his sleep. Anders vocals go from being passable in some songs (With Eyes Wide Open, Through Oblivion) to being downright awful in others (most of the rest of the album).

Best tracks are the two bonus tracks that aren't even on the main album. Other than that I don't mind With Eyes Wide Open and Through Oblivion. The rest of the album is pretty much uninspired garbage. I don't know what they were thinking with this album really, but whatever they were going for ended up being a huge fail.

As far as Battles is concerned... soulless, empty, boring. Wallflower is the only track on that album worth a damn - basically TCP done better, but still nothing amazing.

Both albums suck but if I was forced at gunpoint to choose one to listen to it'd probably be Siren Charms.
I agree it doesn’t really sound like In Flames. But on the other hand whenever they try to sound like In Flames it sounds tired, contrived, derivative. If Bjorn was lazy on this at least he was lazy coming up with something new, not just playing the same IF riffs that he stole from Jester 20 years ago.

I agree on With Eyes Wide Open but disagree on Through Oblivion. The vocals on Through Oblivion one bother me. They sound like they were recorded so quietly and amped up it sounds weird to me. Like a bedroom recording while everyone else is asleep.

4 songs of SC is enough for me. But that’s about the same number of good songs on every album going back 20 years.

Didn't they do the same for battles? The writting process started 3 months before they entered the studio. And, I the Mask is far better than Battles or Siren Charms. Yeah, I know that was not a difficult task, and also is not a great album and has some forgettable songs and the rest aren't outstanding, but it was produced by Benson. So, maybe, Benson is not the problem here.
The problem for Bjorn is the dude is way too well balanced. He seems to have many outlets for his creativity besides music. He is always painting these days and he is damn good. Seems social, doesn’t show a lot of signs of isolating anxiety or anything. Just because he’s at home doesn’t mean he’ll be able to focus. And if he does focus, I don’t think he’s going to have a lot of pent up musical energy ready to explode out. Seems way too chill. But he did do SOAPF but that was precipitated by external factors (Jesper leaving). Not sure if he’s ever woken up and decided to slaughter any of the other albums with that kind of energy.

To me, the problem is that the music is, right now, a thing of two people. Bjorn makes the melodies and then they sit together and Anders decides if they're good. Is a joke but not far from reality. Also, Bjorn seems to have run out of ideas. The riffs from the albums have the same patterns or are variations from other riffs that he has yet used. He needs someone, not Anders, to balance his lack of creativity and push him in a new direction.

I don't use Instagram but hope Anders, Bjorn, all the other IF guys and my bros here are all doing OK. My mental health hasn't been great recently despite riding out the pandemic fairly well, compared with what others have had to endure. Whether it's good or bad it would be great to discuss some new In Flames stuff soon.
Thanks for asking. I would say not great, but not radically different. Homeschooling kids, trying to do a good job at work, dealing with multiple opinions in the household.

Zero friends, nobody to talk to except my kids really, and a couple work colleagues but I need to keep a distance with them. Nobody “on my side”.

Nothing new though, just gotta stay focused on what I need to do.

Reactions: drawntoblack
Thanks for asking. I would say not great, but not radically different. Homeschooling kids, trying to do a good job at work, dealing with multiple opinions in the household.

Zero friends, nobody to talk to except my kids really, and a couple work colleagues but I need to keep a distance with them. Nobody “on my side”.

Nothing new though, just gotta stay focused on what I need to do.
Bro. I feel you. I'm almost in the same situation.

I've been listening to the shit out of the new Evergrey singles. Full album coming out tomorrow I think, for those who like the band.

Thanks for the heads up, seems heavier than last time I listened to them. Added, will listen to the whole thing when it’s out tomorrow.

To me, the problem is that the music is, right now, a thing of two people. Bjorn makes the melodies and then they sit together and Anders decides if they're good. Is a joke but not far from reality. Also, Bjorn seems to have run out of ideas. The riffs from the albums have the same patterns or are variations from other riffs that he has yet used. He needs someone, not Anders, to balance his lack of creativity and push him in a new direction.

engelin-niclas-image.jpg

Not kidding, either. I enjoy Engelin's work and I'm disappointed that he hasn't contributed to the songwriting nearly as much as I'd hoped when he first joined (he did work on some Battles tracks, but so did a dozen other people, so it's hard to tell what's his and what's not).

Reactions: Ilias7 and eochaid