IN FLAMES Clayman Re-recorded 2020

Yeah, I remember Jabi. My last interactions with Archy were when he was a mod at Jesterhead. Then Jester Ass came along. Many, many moons ago. Eh, whatever, I'll hang around here for a while and talk shit about In Flames' new material -- sounds like a good time.

I remember you too. Think you used to post on the Sentenced forum as well?

As for Archy, he had been threatened with legal action by Nuclear Blast because of some troublemakers who kept on posting illegal download links on Everdying. I remember Come Clarity leaked very early, and by the time I bought it the album had already been discussed to death. And yeah, I too was pissed off when he decided to close the forum down, but I can sort of understand his decision - he didn't want to run the risk of getting his ass sued. He probably could've found a workaround (perhaps having all link-containing posts approved by mods before making them publicly visible or something), but I believe when he was offered the job of moderating JesterHead he just couldn't be bothered with Everdying any longer.

BTW, Come Clarity leaked in full on Thanksgiving the year before (it came out in February 2006, IIRC); I had Crawl Through Knives that summer (which I never ever shared with anyone, but my friends had a listen).

Not a case these days.

...who disturbs my slumber?

@Starforsaken , I was just the messenger ;)

Yeah I remember hearing CC really early as well, although during that time period I seem to remember a lot of bands having stuff leaked stupidly early. I don't think IF were the only victims. Nowadays we are "lucky" to get a leak 3 days early, let alone 3 months. Unfortunately the leak is more like a dreaded moment than something we're looking forward to :D

Reactions: The Grayfox
I have a hookup with a local record store around the corner (believe it or not, they still exist!), so I get my stuff a few days early (Wednesday, if it's released on Friday), but when Metallica and my main man Ed S. were releasing their latest records, those were shipped strictly for Friday delivery; I'm sure bigger artists will be doing the same. And lately we were lucky to get a leak a week early, even Russian hackers were lacking.

That being said, I think I gave a total of three listens on Spotify to last two In Flames records since they were released, so...

Spot checked their performance from yesterday's stream - don't care for new songs, but what's up with Anders' voice? He's... growling properly 20 years later? Not bad.

Also, the setlist from the other night looked much better, they even played Swim (I actually forgot all about it all these years later).

P.S. Samlag still 30?

We have theories. Some people thinks that he growls because is cool and he has realized that. I say that he growls because he cannot scream (or sing) and growling is less damaging to his voice.

Of course, I am right and everyone else is wrong

Good question, I much prefer the death growls though I've always thought they're way better than his screams. I wouldn't be surprised if he started doing them more the last past years live because it's way easier on the voice. At least for me personally screaming is much more taxing than growling.

Reactions: eochaid
Yeah I'd agree that he's doing it because it's easier on his throat. Death growls like he's doing come from the diaphram, whereas screams are pretty much all windpipe. It's been a long time since I had to do any of that stuff, but I can remember screams killing my vocal chords, but growls when done correctly barely had any effect.

I am guessing Anders took so long to change his style because the screaming was what he was known for. He probably felt it was unique to him, whereas death growls are a lot more generic. Eventually he was probably left with no choice. When you look at all of the vocalist who did that style of vocal very few of them stuck with it for very long. I'm not sure anybody kept doing that kind of screaming vocal for as long as he did - not from the old school MDM scene anyway. I guess you could look at Alexi Laiho or Tomas Lindberg but the latter doesn't sound the same as he did in the 90s nowadays, and I have no idea how Laiho keeps going with his vocals. He must have a throat of steel.

Honestly, yes. Screaming, the way Anders did, had to be a total pain for his voice. Though my guess is that he kept on screaming because it suited the music more than the growls. And also the thing about his screams being unique.

In fairness to Anders he had a great screaming voice, it was a perfect mix between being heavy and being able to express emotion. There aren't many vocalists I can think of who can achieve that. As far as I can tell it started faltering badly around the ASOP sessions. He sounded okay on SOAPF, did a lot less harsh vocals on Siren Charms and Battles, and for ITM he's obviously changed his style a bit. Although on the record he's still kind of got the scream going on in many of the songs, but live he drops it down to a deep growl which honestly suits those songs absolutely fine.

I remember you too. Think you used to post on the Sentenced forum as well?

Yes sir! God I miss that band so much.

BTW, Come Clarity leaked in full on Thanksgiving the year before (it came out in February 2006, IIRC); I had Crawl Through Knives that summer (which I never ever shared with anyone, but my friends had a listen).

I remember that. It leaked like 2 and a half or 3 months early -- I'm sure the boys were not happy about that one. How did you get Crawl Through Knives so early? Were you sexting with Jesper or something?

Spot checked their performance from yesterday's stream - don't care for new songs, but what's up with Anders' voice? He's... growling properly 20 years later? Not bad.

There's a video of Moonshield/The Jester's Dance on YouTube, I think it's from Hellfest 2017 (?) and Anders sounds pretty damn good on it. When I first heard it, it was kind of a mindfuck because I was anticipating it sounding really bad and then... it wasn't. I dunno, maybe growling is easier for him at this point. Either way, I'm a fan.

edit: yeeeeaaahhhh

Reactions: plintus
In fairness to Anders he had a great screaming voice, it was a perfect mix between being heavy and being able to express emotion. There aren't many vocalists I can think of who can achieve that. As far as I can tell it started faltering badly around the ASOP sessions. He sounded okay on SOAPF, did a lot less harsh vocals on Siren Charms and Battles, and for ITM he's obviously changed his style a bit. Although on the record he's still kind of got the scream going on in many of the songs, but live he drops it down to a deep growl which honestly suits those songs absolutely fine.
The ending of System, even his attempt to scream on Stay With Me gives me chills. Is, as you said, very emotional.

I spent about half an hour ago today listening to a bunch of different Clayman videos on youtube - various live ones and both old and new rerecording again. I can say that I actually ended up enjoying a few vocal additions in the chorus in terms of writing - that little bend on the very last "clay" for an instance. I dislike the vocal production and i'm on the fence regarding his voice, but that's another thing. Clayman had that unique Anders delivery where his voice simply oozes with intensity and pressure, for me it's probably favorite Anders record just for the passion it projects, even if actual singing isn't that great as there are a lot of faded-out syllables that aren't clear.

Bjorn's solo and that syncopated chugging 101 half-assed riff is still utter garbage... can't believe how plastic the guitars sound, I still can't accept it. And I know it's a stupidly minor thing, but that bass note that sort of "hangs" in that tiny pause before the chorus hits really, really annoys the shit out of me. It was probably supposed to be a 1/16th note that somehow wasn't cut and edited. Listening on headphones and it draws my attention every time I hear it.
I fully acknowledge Clayman's (album) flaws - while the guitar tone is legendary, overall production is quite imperfect. Overall it sounds quite scooped, a lot of details that should be aren't there. But the rerecording almost sounds like an exactly opposite extreme side of the spectrum - all midrange and no balls. I really don't get what the fuck are the guys in the band thinking with this plastic production they've been sticking with for the few past albums. No American bands use it, even the shitty mall metal bands today still use high gain distortions and sound quite heavier than this. I get it that average person isn't really nitpicky about guitar sound and stuff like that, but we aren't talking about negligible nuances here.

When a guitar-driven band starts to almost feel ashamed of having guitars.

Also, those live videos I mentioned... saw a somewhat recent one with Chris Broderick. And Bjorn of course takes care of the solo and butchers it completely, a solo that is pretty damn simple to play anyway. The band now has one of the most talented guitar players (he was a touring member of Nevermore before his Megadeth stint), they should be using it as an excuse to reach for those tracks that had killer guest solos (December Flower, Suburban Me etc) and actually do the songs justice for once. Even back in the TJR days in the 90s they would just skip the December Flower solo live.

Last edited:
Reactions: galvanized
Also, those live videos I mentioned... saw a somewhat recent one with Chris Broderick. And Bjorn of course takes care of the solo and butchers it completely, a solo that is pretty damn simple to play anyway. The band now has one of the most talented guitar players (he was a touring member of Nevermore before his Megadeth stint), they should be using it as an excuse to reach for those tracks that had killer guest solos (December Flower, Suburban Me etc) and actually do the songs justice for once. Even back in the TJR days in the 90s they would just skip the December Flower solo live.

At this point, I thought that people came to understand that this is a band of two. The rest are necessary to go on stage. Nothing else.

Good point. Chris Broderick is honestly probably too good to be in In Flames, sort of like Jeff Loomis in Arch Enemy. BUT, he could make those songs sound really good live, at least guitar-wise. Unfortunately the fact remains that Anders and Bjorn don't seem to like playing those songs for whatever reason. At this point, the reason of "fans not knowing the material" is more relevant than ever, so I can actually buy that now. Saying that back in 2002, 2003 was a pretty lame excuse. Now, the majority of their fanbase at live shows probably doesn't actually know what Lunar Strain and The Jester Race sound like. Still, I keep an eye on their setlists and am pleasantly surprised sometimes. Bringing back songs like The Hive and Graveland occasionally are welcome. I never thought it would be a surprise to see Behind Space in a setlist, but... here we are. So even that is nice to see.

Reactions: drawntoblack
How did you get Crawl Through Knives so early? Were you sexting with Jesper or something?

Here I was thinking I was Plintus' one and only :( feels bad man.

There's a video of Moonshield/The Jester's Dance on YouTube, I think it's from Hellfest 2017 (?) and Anders sounds pretty damn good on it. When I first heard it, it was kind of a mindfuck because I was anticipating it sounding really bad and then... it wasn't. I dunno, maybe growling is easier for him at this point. Either way, I'm a fan.

Funnily enough Anders more recent deeper growls are more authentic to the original TJR/Whoracle songs than his screams, which really only came into play from Colony onwards. On TJR/Whoracle his voice is a lot deeper.

The ending of System, even his attempt to scream on Stay With Me gives me chills. Is, as you said, very emotional.

He's got a lot of great moments like that, which is why as much as we all rag on him here I'd never call him a bad vocalist. Bad singer, yes, but not a bad vocalist or frontman.

Bjorn's solo and that syncopated chugging 101 half-assed riff is still utter garbage...

Those are the two parts that stuck out to me as well. The solo is just bad, and the way it enters the song is so amateurish. Not the first time they've fucked this up though as they did the same thing on Through My Eyes on Battles. Listen to how the solo is inserted into that song and then how they do it on the Clayman rerecording - same fucking issues, including excessive and unnecessary use of the wah pedal. I get that this is basically Bjorn's trademark at this point but it sounds like shit.

At this point, I thought that people came to understand that this is a band of two. The rest are necessary to go on stage. Nothing else.

Yep, I remember a quote from Bjorn saying something like "our stuff is so simple to play that anyone can come in and do the job". Although if that is true one has to question how he manages to screw up so many of the solos live. I'm not sure Niklas has ever really had any major input into the band despite having a very good pedigree, and I think it'll be the same with Broderick. At least like Niklas he looks the part on stage, I guess. I have no idea if Niklas is out permanently or what at this point. There is some confusion and Anders/Bjorn don't seem willing to clarify at the moment.

I think it's the long, silky blonde hair and neck tats. What're you gonna do? You just can't compete with that, man.

Thanks for the support bro :D

Also I just noticed this on YouTube...

upload_2020-6-13_23-57-47.png

Combined with Slave's post which also showed "Boarders" rather than "Borders" I am confused, since when did the song title change? Does this mean it was wrong on STYE or it's wrong now? Or maybe to fit in with their new American personas IF are retrospectively calling it (Skate)Boarders and Shading. I am only partially joking.

Reactions: The Grayfox
I'm not really looking forward to the OFTW rerecording at all. I'm sure Anders will try to "sing" in the verses, his voice doped up with horrific amount of autotune, whilst the synths will be off the scale. I prefer how OFTW sounds without synths, frankly.

This cover shows that the guitars carry the melody perfectly, they don't need to supplemented with synths. I can guarantee they will be all over the rerecording though, and probably totally drown out the guitars.

Man, I used to love OFTW. It's been totally overplayed into the ground now, though. Clayman was a magical album.

I was on the Everdying forums for a bit, too. Don't remember my screen name though.

Or maybe to fit in with their new American personas IF are retrospectively calling it (Skate)Boarders and Shading. I am only partially joking.

Ahh, Skateboarders and Shading. A real classic.

I was on the Everdying forums for a bit, too. Don't remember my screen name though.

Think, man. Think!

This is the only help I can offer:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050108172833/http://www.everdying.com/phpbb/memberlist.php - only the first page works unfortunately.

and

https://web.archive.org/web/2004112....php?f=5&sid=75063b0d36cc4e22f034ac66350c7104 - again, only the first page works.

I bet Archy has a backup of all that old stuff. Where are you Archy, you old son of a gun.