In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

Yeah, that video is awful :D but Anders vocals around 02/03 were at their absolute worst. Thankfully he got a lot better after that.

Saying that, they play Colony at the same gig and it actually sounds OK, screams and all. Black & White was just really bad... he even forgets most of the lyrics :D

The Seoul performance in 2003 is just crazy, have you seen that? He completely destroys his voice by the end of the show. Given the vocal cord destruction that must have gone on during that "era" of In Flames, I generally cut Anders a lot of slack for his clean vocals nowadays.

Aside from the chorus, I thought the vocals were alright in that Black & White video. :S What bugged me was the lyric improvising. He just sounded like some random person who wanted to sing a song that he didn't know the words to. You could sort of hear a few words, but none of them made any sense. I call that "Jemaining it". If you watched Flight of the Conchords, you might know what I mean.

Funny stuff. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The Seoul performance in 2003 is just crazy, have you seen that? He completely destroys his voice by the end of the show. Given the vocal cord destruction that must have gone on during that "era" of In Flames, I generally cut Anders a lot of slack for his clean vocals nowadays.

That performance is genuinely painful to watch. You can see him physically holding his throat for half the songs, it's horrible. I've also got a bootleg from London in 2002 when they played with Slipknot and he can't even scream, he's just yelling everything. It's amazing that he was able to recover his voice back to such a good level without taking time off like Stanne did. When I saw them in 2005 and 2006 his growls/screams were back to being really good.

Haha, yeah. They pulled out of Bloodstock last year because they were STILL recording that motherfucker :D

Well, he does Where dead ships dwell OK, but on Deliver us he sings like a frightened girl.

I respect his wish to broaden the musical horizons and stuff, but man YOU CAN'T SING! Bjorn could wish that he is John Petrucci but he couldn't do it. Now, Anders can pull off things like that in studio, but live...rarely.

And we had this debate before. He is not a good singer. He doesn't know what voice fits him. His lyrics are translated into weird vocal melodies. And result of all that is he can not do it live. Just listen to Deliver us. He can not sing higher notes live, but he keeps doing them in studio.

And as DE4life said, it pisses me off that they want to play "live music" when it comes to guitars, but backing tracks are OK when vocals are in question. It is (was) fucking melodeath (and In Flames of all the bands)! You are not famous for quality singing, but for guitar harmonies.

That performance is genuinely painful to watch. You can see him physically holding his throat for half the songs, it's horrible. I've also got a bootleg from London in 2002 when they played with Slipknot and he can't even scream, he's just yelling everything. It's amazing that he was able to recover his voice back to such a good level without taking time off like Stanne did. When I saw them in 2005 and 2006 his growls/screams were back to being really good.

Luckily when I saw them in September 2002 with Dark Tranquillity, Sentenced and KillSUCK Engage, his vocals were pretty damn good. The sound in the building is pretty bad though, too. The Rave in Milwaukee is very well setup for concerts, but the sound isn't exactly on the level.

Luckily when I saw them in September 2002 with Dark Tranquillity, Sentenced and KillSUCK Engage, his vocals were pretty damn good. The sound in the building is pretty bad though, too. The Rave in Milwaukee is very well setup for concerts, but the sound isn't exactly on the level.

Looks like you caught them at a good time. I think i've got like, 4 or 5 boots from 2002 and he sounds awful in all of them (none of my bootlegs are performances from America though).

I think Anders screaming issues come from a lack of technique though. Far be it for me to lecture the vocalist of In Flames on vocal techniques :D but in most of his performances up until about 2004 he sounds like he's destroying his vocal chords. Even the Koln '96 performance sounds painful. I don't agree with the posts a few pages back that the Koln 96 performance is good in any way, either, it sounds torturous to me, and not in a Katatonia Dance of December Souls kind of way... in an 'ohmygod what is he doing to the cat... oh wait that's his voice' kind of way. Sorry :D

It seems like he found a technique that helped him produce his screams and growls in a better way at some point around 2004 though, which explains his resurgence to an extent on STYE and certainly on Come Clarity where his screams were back to being full of power.

ohmygod what is he doing to the cat...

:lol:

I think Angela from Arch Enemy was taking some vocal lessons so that her vocal cords would stay in one piece. Shame on you Anders... A girl is better growler than you.

Guys, just stop worrying about a leak. it'll come when it comes. Heck, we might not even get one. For all we know the only thing that'll get it here before the swedish release is a miracle...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs[/ame]

lol

:lol:

I think Angela from Arch Enemy was taking some vocal lessons so that her vocal cords would stay in one piece. Shame on you Anders... A girl is better growler than you.

Angela's screams/growls are overprocessed on the AA albums these days, but the last two times I saw them live (2008 and 2010) she sounded excellent. I left both times wondering why her vocals are so processed on the albums when she sounds so good naturally anyway?

When Anders screams it's like music to my ears, but when he sings clean, or scream sing, he just never gets it, (LIVE), and let me say, it's not that hard, but he lacks technique, he needs vocal training from MELISSA CROSS, same old lady who trains Angela from Arch E.

Well it seems they like to overprocess stuff on album. But live she's good, and doesn't seem to have a problem screaming all night long. (don't get any kinky ideas...) BTW New AE album is boring.

So, why oh why didn't Anders took some vocal lessons back in '99... I guess he's to old and his vocal cords are to fucked up now.