In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

There's to much exaggeration in the post as well, 15 vocal tracks, who the fuck are you trying to fool? And Whoracle having a perfect drum sound that sounds real?

Thats the only thing I exaggerated, and it was on purpose, with intention to be obvious. Wasnt it? I never said that the drums were perfect, I said that they sounded realistic. Which is true, especially when compared to the plastic, overcompressed drum sound which was to follow on the later albums.

And if you listen to Food For The Gods, the drums is playing the wrong fucking rhythm in at 0:07 into the song.

Nope, the rhytm is perfectly fine. Drums start with the kick instead with the snare, which is the more usual method. This way every second note is being accented instead of every first one. I see how this might cause the illusion of drums being off-beat, but I assure you that they are not. Everything is in sync.

He never said that ''if we take away the production it would be TJR all over again'', he said that some riffs and melodies without any of the fancy production could be thrown into a song in Lunar Strain for example and you wouldn't hear the difference. And that IS true.

No, its not. I dont see a single riff/melody from SOAPF fitting on the Lunar Strain.

I'm not trying to argue either, believe me :)

No, its not. I dont see a single riff/melody from SOAPF fitting on the Lunar Strain.

I'm not trying to argue either, believe me :)
Of course you don't! That was Anders point, with the same conditions (aka would some of the riffs and melodies have the Lunar Strain production) they would fit RIGHT onto the album and you wouldn't notice anything.

If you can't see/don't understand this then...

I am taking production element into consideration, if thats what you think I wasnt doing. I understand what you mean, I understand what Anders means, its just that I dont see it happening at all. Riffs are differently styled (all of them), melodies as well. None of them could fit on Clayman, let alone on Lunar Strain, which was pretty much an experimentational album on its own, considering how different TJR was to it.

After all, not a single current IF member was in the band back in the Lunar Strain days. So its only logical that it wouldnt fit. Lets face it, Anders is talking a bit out of his ass on this one :)

I could see the modern riffs fitting into Clayman and even Colony at points. Lunar Strain is a stretch because it was still an album without a style. More of a learning process leading into what we came to know as the In Flames sounds.

Wow, people appear only for a good dose of argument. :D

I really don't get this: If you express your opinion (that you don't like new as much as old) I'm gonna leave! Seriously, WTF?

How can somebody say that riffs and melodies from 2001-1011 can fit into older albums is beyond me. (although I agree with E.Erna that a few of them might fit in Clayman, or even Colony). In 95% of cases new stuff wouldn't fit into old stuff. Anybody who ever played In Flames song knows that. Just go to fucking youtube, take a look on Moonshiled cover and take a look on Quiet place cover, then come back here and say: it would fit right in.

And I still can't understand that argument about playing the songs live. So they did sound good live 'till 2000, but all of the sudden it's not good. So they record stuff that has two chugging guitar tracks (although everything is played 4-6 times in studio), drums, bass, 3-5 layers of vocals and tons of samples. How is that different to playing rhythm guitar, melody lines and harmony lines over it sometimes? And again, everybody who played In Flames songs live knows that you can pull them off almost perfectly.

As my esteemed neighbor Ante pointed out few pages ago, that solo on Annihilator's - Haunted is great. You can hear "old In Flames" there, also in some DZ tracks there are moments that could fit into TJR or WHoracle... Mysteriously, RTR-ASOP doesn't contain moments like that.

Bjorn is good songwriter, but he lacks substance. SOAPF is good album, but take out samples done by O.O., fantastic drumwork, 10 tons of vocal melodies... and you wouldn't have much left. Some good melodies, some good solos and 2 riffs. Plus, I think it really sucks to say in interview: Bjorn is way better... My God, Bjorn is probably way better singer than Anders, but nobody mentions it. :)

Wow, people appear only for a good dose of argument. :D

I really don't get this: If you express your opinion (that you don't like new as much as old) I'm gonna leave! Seriously, WTF?

How can somebody say that riffs and melodies from 2001-1011 can fit into older albums is beyond me. (although I agree with E.Erna that a few of them might fit in Clayman, or even Colony). In 95% of cases new stuff wouldn't fit into old stuff. Anybody who ever played In Flames song knows that. Just go to fucking youtube, take a look on Moonshiled cover and take a look on Quiet place cover, then come back here and say: it would fit right in.

And I still can't understand that argument about playing the songs live. So they did sound good live 'till 2000, but all of the sudden it's not good. So they record stuff that has two chugging guitar tracks (although everything is played 4-6 times in studio), drums, bass, 3-5 layers of vocals and tons of samples. How is that different to playing rhythm guitar, melody lines and harmony lines over it sometimes? And again, everybody who played In Flames songs live knows that you can pull them off almost perfectly.

As my esteemed neighbor Ante pointed out few pages ago, that solo on Annihilator's - Haunted is great. You can hear "old In Flames" there, also in some DZ tracks there are moments that could fit into TJR or WHoracle... Mysteriously, RTR-ASOP doesn't contain moments like that.

Bjorn is good songwriter, but he lacks substance. SOAPF is good album, but take out samples done by O.O., fantastic drumwork, 10 tons of vocal melodies... and you wouldn't have much left. Some good melodies, some good solos and 2 riffs. Plus, I think it really sucks to say in interview: Bjorn is way better... My God, Bjorn is probably way better singer than Anders, but nobody mentions it. :)

Spot on, as usual.

The 'old songs are so hard to play live because we have to rearrange them' excuse is another one that's quite funny. They seemed to manage it OK at the time, yet now it's suddenly difficult to do :D the older songs may not sound identical in a live setting, but they still sound pretty fucking good and way better than anything post-2002.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: they need to stop making up bullshit, transparent excuses and just admit they don't want to play or create music like they used to. That's all they have to say, sure many people will say 'what a bunch of assholes' but then they'll go off and find somebody else to listen to. Instead In Flames keep hinting the old melodies are still there in the riffs, that they have to work so hard to play the old songs live, etc.

Enough excuses.

Spot on, as usual.

Ah, what can I say... :) Tnx bro!

I just want to point out: FFS! Opeth can play their songs live! Imagine Mikael saying: "Well, you know, playing so much acoustic stuff, and 16 minute songs, with all those harmonies, odd time signatures, different type of vocals... it was just too hard. We wanted more 'live' sound, so we started writing 3 minute songs with 2 riffs and catchy choruses...it is so much better. Fans actually move, unlike in the old days. Hey we're even on guitar hero now!" :D

I've said it before and I'll say it again: they need to stop making up bullshit, transparent excuses and just admit they don't want to play or create music like they used to.

I just saw an interview with Peter yesterday where he says "we don't want to create and play music like we used to" or something like that. Actually, I heard them telling that so many times. It's obvious to me that they did SOAPF because they didn't want to do another Colony...They would have done another Colony then. :Smug:

This forum starts to get really boring :erk: I want my ice cream back...

I just saw an interview with Peter yesterday where he says "we don't want to create and play music like we used to" or something like that. Actually, I heard them telling that so many times. It's obvious to me that they did SOAPF because they didn't want to do another Colony...They would have done another Colony then. :Smug:

This forum starts to get really boring :erk: I want my ice cream back...

We do realise and accept the fact that they've stopped writing material sounding like their old stuff.

Some of us just think it'd be nice to hear Whoracle-inspired riffs but we do know it won't happen. And again, I'd like to point out that none of us expect them to write material like that.

OK, then why do you people shit on their new material ? :err:

most people here aren't "shitting on" all of the new material... most of the abuse is aimed at the songs off STYE and ASOP. The reason for this is that both albums suck a big dong. Hope that helps :D

ehh... you can't use the tokyo showdown as an example of that, the production of that album as a whole is terrible. the band were very disappointed in it.

listen to the Sweden 99 show and tell me the older songs sound empty live... that show fucking slays :D

OK, then why do you people shit on their new material ? :err:

You're being ignorant now.
If you had read my earlier posts I clearly state that I like their new material and that I do listen to it BUT I just think that their older stuff is better.

In summary, I like both era of In Flames and I did make it very clear that I did.

Also, I don't believe that anyone one this forum 'shits' on their new stuff.

I find it hilarious that some people here talk about old stuff not being good enough live... We have a (former) melodeath band that gained fame by doing trademark guitar harmonies...but it's not good enough, so let's just remove the harmonies and layers and put keyboards and vocal harmonies, which is I guess OK because it goes from backing tracks live.

And then you go to show and hear 2 guitars chugging some modern riff, Anders torturing the neighbor's cat, and keys and vocal layers doing the job. Wow, amazing. That is SO MUCH BETTER than playing guitar harmonies.

Pretty much what he said^.

Its like being forcefed with crap, and to top it, having other people convincing you how you are actually eating icecream, and how lovely it is.
Whoever thinks that IF's newer stuff is just as good as their old needs to get a brain check. I really cant argue any more.

I borrowed video from Krofius... :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdNULZtrS2w&feature=related[/ame]

Yeah, I see what are guys trying to say. Anders doesn't sing, there are no keys (WTF!?), I can't remember the chorus, and what's with all that melodies....BORING! Plus it's so empty and uninteresting...not really for live shows. Now TCP...that's a proper live song! Yeah N'Flamez rulez!

PS

What's wrong with that blond dude. He looks like he's on some pop contest, all happy and energetic. He is supposed to be miserable. This video is so not metal!

I borrowed video from Krofius... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdNULZtrS2w&feature=related

Yeah, I see what are guys trying to say. Anders doesn't sing, there are no keys (WTF!?), I can't remember the chorus, and what's with all that melodies....BORING! Plus it's so empty and uninteresting...not really for live shows. Now TCP...that's a proper live song! Yeah N'Flamez rulez!

PS

What's wrong with that blond dude. He looks like he's on some pop contest, all happy and energetic. He is supposed to be miserable. This video is so not metal!

The few bootlegs from 1999 are all fantastic. the shows from the US in 2000 are very good as well. For the record, when I watched In Flames live a few times in 2006 they played a great selection of old and new stuff together.

Even if they only played one off TJR, one off Whoracle and one off Colony nowadays that would do me. It's angering when In Flames completely ignore those albums, omit them entirely from their setlist, and then claim they 'like' their older work. If you like it so much, show some fucking respect towards it and play it live!

When they played The Jester Race medley in 2008 it sounded seriously awesome. The beginning of TJR(song) sounds epic in a live environment.

I wish In Flames fans were more like the Kamelot fans that were at their show I went to in 2008 (never thought I'd say that :D). Kamelot totally ignored their Fourth Legacy album during the set, didn't play a single song off it, and people were constantly chanting "FOURTH LEGACY" at them. The singer looked pissed off :D but it was good. Fans showing the band they should not cast aside their earlier work, because without that work and the support people gave it they wouldn't be where they are today.

Fourth legacy... not a bad album at all. Although I really don't like power metal. :)

And I hate medleys... It just show band doesn't respect material enough, so they are using medley to run over that stuff in 4 minutes and later say: but yeah, we played old stuff.