In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

Trivium are fucking gay :D and Heafy is an awful vocalist. He's a liar, too. Claimed the band never liked the screams, then they suddenly go back to doing them again.

Ember to Inferno is good, Ascendancy I can tolerate. the rest of their material is total shit and it's amazing they're as popular as they are. I've seen them live as support & at a festival and both times they were cack, Heafy is worse than Anders live.

Haha can't people change their minds? Musician's can't say jack these days without people taking their word as gospel, and holding it against them when the muscian's themselves change or mature. Heafy isn't a liar- he said he disliked the scene that was developing, in other words too many bands screaming, too much boring metalcore. And now? They added the screaming back in. So what? Shogun is far from metalcore to my ears.

Yeah, Matt's singing used to suck back in '04. He's near studio perfect nowadays.

A88, with what you said, i find that people read the press and follow trends and scenes too much. People need to ignore all that bullshit and just listen to the music. It speaks for itself, and gives itself an identity. Stop comparing music to other music, and take it as it is.

I'm listening the music...and they are trying too hard to play like some older, bigger bands. They have some good songs, some good riffs, some good solos, but I still can't listen through the whole Trivium album...it's just boring.

Let's take Jester Race. Obviously it has a lot of Iron maiden influences...but, there is not a single moment that makes you say: "Wow, Iron Maiden wannabe." With Trivium and BFMV for example, almost every song has that moments. (I mean why does welsh guy sings like J.Hetfield...accent and all?) It's all been done before, and done better. So, the music is OK, but that's it. Average.

I'm listening the music...and they are trying too hard to play like some older, bigger bands. They have some good songs, some good riffs, some good solos, but I still can't listen through the whole Trivium album...it's just boring.

Let's take Jester Race. Obviously it has a lot of Iron maiden influences...but, there is not a single moment that makes you say: "Wow, Iron Maiden wannabe." With Trivium and BFMV for example, almost every song has that moments. (I mean why does welsh guy sings like J.Hetfield...accent and all?) It's all been done before, and done better. So, the music is OK, but that's it. Average.

I see what you mean, they aren't original are they? But i don't listen to Iron Maiden. Or Metallica. I simply don't like James Hetfield, as a vocalist, or Bruce. To my personal taste, Trivium do stand out as something different. On Shogun they sing with themes of Greek and Japanese mythology, and capture an epicness the likeness of classical music. They are also one of the rare bands that can pull off 6/7 minutes songs without them getting boring (to me anyway). Machine Head another example. Everyone raves/was raving about Ascendancy. If i'm honest i'm not that much of a fan of that album. In the land of metalcore, it seems a bit average, monotonous and repetitve to me.

It's all down to personal taste in the end. I consider myself a connoisseur to so-called metalcore music, not that i'm elitist at all :saint:

With BFMV, they make too many pussy ballads (not that i don't like ballads, or softer songs) and the 'metal' community just reject them as a girl's band :lol:

I respect your opinion, but I still disagree. :D

I find their 6-7 minutes long songs boring and empty. Not classical or epic, just boring. And I really like classical music, and epic stuff.

Yeah, BFMV has all that shitty emo ballads, and the singer is just...terrible. Anders is Andrea Bocelli for this guy.

BFMV are a scene band definitely. I don't think Trivium are metalcore really. Maybe in the vocals? I think they are more of an aggressive thrash metal. When I hear metalcore, I think of bands like Bleeding Through. I can only take so much of metalcore at one time, and with Trivium, I hear different, more elaborate song structures that are on the thrashy side.

You know what, who gives a fuck if it's Metalcore or Thrash or something else? Metal is Metal. Good music is good. Bad music doesn't appeal to yours or my tastes. I don't think about how many douches are in that scene or if "they're totally ripping off King Crimson in that slow part." I just take it as it is and appreciate it. :)

"If anyone is wondering why the screaming is gone it's because the four of us were never into bands that scream and we don't like any of the current bands that scream, so we asked ourselves why we're doing it. This time around I wanted to be a better singer because that's what we wanted to hear, so we dropped the screaming and did a lot of vocal training and vocal work."
—Matt Heafy

The man's a liar, plain and simple :D

He's also one of the worst "screamers" out there, so it was no loss when he stopped screaming. He sounds slightly better in the newer stuff I've heard, but you can still tell it's his fucking gay voice :D

They are also one of the rare bands that can pull off 6/7 minutes songs without them getting boring (to me anyway). Machine Head another example.

I disagree :)
I find Trivium's longer songs pretty boring. Sure, it's not the same riff repeated throughout the song but there's nothing that grabs my attention.

But I agree with Machine Head... Halo from The Blackening -probably the best song on the album- has it all. A nice bass intro, followed by a heavy riff (accompanied by very solid drums) and then this melodic riff (awesomeness of the riff can't be described by words) and then a very nice break down with a nifty solo and interlude.

That's how it's done :)
For those who haven't listened to Halo... Go on YouTube and listen to it now.

But I agree with Machine Head... Halo from The Blackening -probably the best song on the album- has it all. A nice bass intro, followed by a heavy riff (accompanied by very solid drums) and then this melodic riff (awesomeness of the riff can't be described by words) and then a very nice break down with a nifty solo and interlude.

That's how it's done :)
For those who haven't listened to Halo... Go on YouTube and listen to it now.

Funnily enough i was listening to Halo earlier and was pondering how a 9 minute song can seem like 4 minutes. Have you heard the new track, Locust?

Fuckin' epic.

BTW Matt Tuck had surgery on his vocal chords, after he had tonsilitus (pardon me if i mispelt that :p ), and his vocals have been fucked up ever since. He can barely hold a note. Although Scream, Aim, Fire was recorded not long after his vocal chords took the beating, the title track is probably the best song (or at least most metallic) BFMV have ever made.

Last edited by a moderator:
They threw in a little surprise in the Stockholm gig earlier today,
And is it just me or does Anders semi-use his old vocals in this clip? He's using lower pitched vocals than he usually does during a large part of the song actually, really great performance imo.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU0c4QWwNmM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/ame]

Funnily enough i was listening to Halo earlier and was pondering how a 9 minute song can seem like 4 minutes. Have you heard the new track, Locust?

Yeah, heard it before. Very nice track - I'm liking Machine Head's progression. Their first album was semi decent but up until Through the Ashes of Empires they just kinda sucked. The Blackening is by far one of the best metal albums out there - very original.
They sound like a proper metal band now which is awesome :)

EDIT: That Colony performance was epic.

Wow, Colony... Epic riff and atmosphere. Good for headbanging too. :D

Crowd seems to like it.

Nah, the crowd doesn't move to the older stuff... as you can see from that clip :D

I have a theory about that... You see, when you are very, very drunk, static objects tend to move because your head is all fucked up and vision is blurry... Now Anders, when on stage, must be drunk sometimes... and when he sees crowd not moving and being all sad and emo (see Dissconected, Sleepless again etc) in his eyes it all moving and stuff. On the other hand when the crowd is jumping and going crazy (see Colony), this movement negates Anders' drunkenness and he thinks they are NOT moving.

I deserve Nobel prize for this one. The "Anders' not moving crowds" theory.

Still haven't figured out that one about new riffs fitting right into TJR though... No alcohol is that strong. Bottled water maybe? :D

I have a theory about that... You see, when you are very, very drunk, static objects tend to move because your head is all fucked up and vision is blurry... Now Anders, when on stage, must be drunk sometimes... and when he sees crowd not moving and being all sad and emo (see Dissconected, Sleepless again etc) in his eyes it all moving and stuff. On the other hand when the crowd is jumping and going crazy (see Colony), this movement negates Anders' drunkenness and he thinks they are NOT moving.

I deserve Nobel prize for this one. The "Anders' not moving crowds" theory.

Still haven't figured out that one about new riffs fitting right into TJR though... No alcohol is that strong. Bottled water maybe? :D

Man.... I just thought Anders was the real-life version of an internet troll :D

I don't think he means Colony when he says the older stuff. I mean, they don't play that album as much as they do the newer stuff, but I think that when he means people don't move to the older stuff, he's talking about pre-Colony. Just my opinion. By the way, I would definitely "move" to the older stuff, no matter what the definition might be.

Anders is def growling alot more live.. or atleast going on the lower end of the spectrum...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jzvA-PVGtM&feature=related[/ame]

Though, Colony is a ''classic'' old song and it's still relatively known by everyone since I actually think they've played it EVERY year since 1999.
Btw they did play The Hive as well, no video up on the tube yet though...Looking forward to that one.