In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

Anders must have been in a better mood on Friday's date then!

I was looking forward to Liberation :(

Instead we got the main singles from all the newer albums, setlist (as far as I can remember...) was this:

Sounds of A Playground Fading
Deliver Us
All for Me
The Mirror's Truth
Cloud Connected
Only for the Weak
Where the Dead ships Dwell
The Quiet Place
Fear Is the Weakness
Ropes
Take This Life

Kinda like 'The Greatest Hits' setlist, or 'The Ones that get Radio Play'. They were on top form, but they hardly played any of my personal faves off SOAPF, and rest were predictable. Fear is the Weakness is mindblowing live! Standout track of the night for sure!

Having heard the slow, melancholic middle section of Trivium's track Caustic are the Ties that Bind, I can only wonder how fuckin' amazing A New Dawn would sound live.

Saw them tonight. Performance-wise they were the band of the night, easily, and Scotland loved them (but we always do). Setlist was probably the worst I've ever seen them play in the sense that it was like four of their best albums didn't exist (In the past I've always seen at least two pre-2000 tracks); and instead I got to hear The Mirror's Truth, The Quiet Place, Cloud Connected and Take This Life... again (I've heard them at EVERY IF gig I've ever been to). Even if we'd got a different mix of "hits" like Trigger, My Sweet Shadow, Come Clarity or something I'd've preferred it... I don't want to be down on the guys, cause I think they're great but the song choice felt really lazy.

SOAPF material live though, was fucking excellent. I love that album even more now, having heard it live... Fear is the Weakness is an absolute beast and the title track really gave me chills at the intro, definitely the saviour of the night.

Really, all I want is a decent headlining UK tour. Given it's been 4 years since the last one, you'd think we might be due?

Special mention goes to Ghost: with their strange mixture of (occasionally extremely happy sounding) hard rock/metal, bizarre vocals, robes, face paint, incense and pope hats they have officially taken the title of "Most Random Band I've Ever Seen." I have never seen (nor been part of) a more confused audience in all my days.

Have to agree, GraemeSinclair. The SOAPF songs are amazing live, love the album and it has real energy on stage. I still think that A New Dawn NEEDS to get major play (It would reduce whole crowds to this> :worship: :worship: :worship: ), and Liberation could easily replace everyones favourite (Satellites and Astronauts) as a slow burner.

I would have prefered to have Come Clarity, My Sweet Shadow and Trigger aswell. I mean... an In Flames show without My Sweet Shadow???? :mad: THANK GOD THERE WAS NO DELIGHT AND ANGERS!!!

... Ghost were just plain strange. I was intrigued by them at first, their crazy outfits and great creepy intro. I was expecting some heavy goth metal or black metal, something along those lines... instead we get up-beat rock music? :guh: It just didn't fit the image in my opinion. The music may be great, but the sombre performance really didn't convince me at all :erk:

From all the videos I've watched from this tour people love SOAPF, in every concert people are singing all the lyrics and stuff... amazing

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8fNoyo7TLU&feature=related[/ame]

HOLY FUCK @ THe end of Soapf the growls......................... growls you've never heard before

and for the southampton show where Anders has been a dick, in the videos the crowd sucks balls...

Everyone knows he can still do these types of growls, the frustrating thing is his choice not to use them much.

Wow, a death metal vocalist can do growls... :OMG:

Amazing isn't it :D everyone seems to think he's lost the ability to do those types of vocals and has only just rediscovered them. The fucker has always been able to do them (check out the used and abused DVD, they're all over it!) for some reason he just chooses not to use them much during album recordings. If anything the deeper growling technique should be easier for Anders than his usual half-scream half-yell, and less demanding on his throat. Considering the growls sound 10x more awesome I dunno why he switched.

Well, I kind of do, more mainstream sound etc etc. I wish he'd stayed like he was on Colony, the vocals on that album are the fucking benchmark for melodic death metal, ridiculously good. They're a perfect mix of high and low, emotionally-infused but still brutal sounding. Hell, even the cleans sound awesome on Colony.

I reckon if they were to release a well-mixed live album (i.e. not Tokyo Showdown) from the SOAPF era, it would be something amazing.

The growl has become Anders' weapon of choice in the live arena over the last year or so (he's definitely using it much more frequently than he did from '99-2010.) So even the newer material would sound much more... Whoracle-y if you get me. If they recorded a headline gig where the setlist had a decent balance of older and newer material they'd potentially have THE seminal In Flames recording.

The best show I've heard from In Flames is a gig in Sweden in 1999... I forget where, Krofius probably knows :D but the sound on the bootleg is fucking immense and the songs are performed near flawlessly with a superb setlist.

I'm officially upgrading my rating of this album to an 8 ;) by this point after ASOP's release I'd realised it was shit... still loving SOAPF, therefore it gains a point and is slightly above Come Clarity in the official (and only) In Flames album rankings :D hooray. You can all update your records accordingly.

Was lookin' at your list dude, reminded me of a band I've been meaning to get into. Sick of the same old shit, and thought some Viking metal may be just what the doctor ordered! Anyone recommend to me Amon Amarth's best works (best album and some good songs?). Cheers in advance!

Well to recommened something from Amon Amarth I find it quite hard because for the last 10 years they've been playing the same stuff, they haven't changed anything in their music only the lyrics about different subjects in the Norse Mythology, but I'd recommened Twilight of the Thunder God as an album and as a song, that's one of my favorite AA songs.