In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

Well, to put it in simple words - the guitar sound on the last couple of albums lacks definition, and the overall mix is quite muddy. Their production nowadays is much more... pop-like, and therefore a lot more accessible for people who arent into the whole death metal thing. This is especially noticeable on ASOP.

But that actually started on Clayman, when they started to use drop tunings. Really low tones (A#, even lower on r2r and later)) with that traditional IF's insanely scooped tone... Certainly not the easiest job in terms of getting definition and clarity in the mix :) Its just that Fredman knew how to get it right :)

They started dropped A on Colony.
Colony's and Clayman's production are very very similar, not exact though. The guitar tones are very similar but still are a different tone.

After Whoracle, they used a more modern sounding production, before Colony, it had an old school metal production sound to it.

When they left Fredman, everything went muddy and wrong. Come Clarity seemed to try to mimmick the Colony/Clayman tone but it's still a little grainy sounding.

They started dropped A on Colony.
Colony's and Clayman's production are very very similar, not exact though. The guitar tones are very similar but still are a different tone.

After Whoracle, they used a more modern sounding production, before Colony, it had an old school metal production sound to it.

When they left Fredman, everything went muddy and wrong. Come Clarity seemed to try to mimmick the Colony/Clayman tone but it's still a little grainy sounding.

I think that would be more of a mastering issue than a studio issue wouldn't it? They've used so many different recording locations, but still end up with the same sound. I almost wonder if its what they're going for, simple because they've had different people mastering and different studios as I've said.

I loved the production on R2R though, I won't lie...

Well I think the most ideal is for the rhythms to be a LITTLE scooped and the leads to be a bit mid-boosted.
They seemed to somewhat accomplish that on Reroute to Remain. They did that on The Jester's Race very well, so it's a little be reminiscent of The Jester's Race, but over all the sound sounds a bit sloppy and kind low low quality compared to previous albums.

Personally I don't really have trouble hearing out the guitars or anything, but it just sounds a poorer compared to Clayman's and Colony's production. It sounds dirty.

STYE's production is a little bit more clear but the guitar sounds I remember being a bit annoying, but I've gotten used to it more recent years. I finally came around to including STYE to the enjoyment list, as before I couldn't really stand it until I opened up to it.

For me, Colony and Clayman easily have In Flames best production values. They're pretty much perfect. I do agree with the comment a few posts above though in regards to Anders' voice beginning to go on Clayman. Colony is the last album where his screams genuinely sound like they have power. he sounds worryingly strained on Clayman (though the vocals do still fit the album) and from then onwards he's never really had the same power in his voice.

I actually thought he sounded a bit more powerful on Come Clarity, actually, but I don't know whether that was a bit of mastering trickery as live he doesn't pull the screams off anywhere near as powerfully as on the album.

I won't list my top albums. I would have to go through them all again and it would take a week or two to decide but I can say that R2R is right up there with Whoracle and Jester Race. Probably the top three.

Colony has some awesome tracks right at the beginning of the album but I don't like the last half. Never have. It is in the bottom three with the two newest albums. Also the production on Colony... blah... Clayman over shadows it. Clayman sounds HUGE while Colony's production leaves the songs cowering away in the corner overpowered by Clayman. I have always felt that way about those two albums.

Even though Whoracle is my favorite album there is one thing about it that has always bugged me about it, and that is the fucking sound on the snare drum..it's FUCKING TERRIBLE!

I'm going to listen to this album non-stop, that's for sure.

I wonder how different things will be without Jasper?

I'm going to listen to this album non-stop, that's for sure.

I wonder how different things will be without Jasper?
We all do :) I reckon it won't sound that different. An annoying thought for me is that I'll never get to know what this CD would have sounded like with Jesper on board =/

I don't think Jesper's personal style had much if any influence on the last few albums, so him being missing for this one won't make that much of a difference. He was most influential around the TJR/Whoracle era, and seemed to slowly fade away from creative duties after that.

I don't think Jesper's personal style had much if any influence on the last few albums, so him being missing for this one won't make that much of a difference. He was most influential around the TJR/Whoracle era, and seemed to slowly fade away from creative duties after that.

I disagree. On Making of ASOP dvd you can clearly see on numerous times Jesper showing Bjorn how to play certain stuff. I know everybody in the band is much more active nowadays when it comes to composing, but I still think vast majority of it came from Jesper alone.

And since IF dont really talk that much about themselves online, we dont know what their relationship with Jesper is like at the moment. As far as we might know, he might even have helped them write some stuff.

Even though In Flames are one of my fav bands of all time, I am much more interested in Jesper's new band, whatever and whenever that might be, than in new IF record. But its still one of my most anticipated releases of this year, nonetheless :)

I disagree. On Making of ASOP dvd you can clearly see on numerous times Jesper showing Bjorn how to play certain stuff. I know everybody in the band is much more active nowadays when it comes to composing, but I still think vast majority of it came from Jesper alone.

And since IF dont really talk that much about themselves online, we dont know what their relationship with Jesper is like at the moment. As far as we might know, he might even have helped them write some stuff.

Even though In Flames are one of my fav bands of all time, I am much more interested in Jesper's new band, whatever and whenever that might be, than in new IF record. But its still one of my most anticipated releases of this year, nonetheless :)

To clear a few things up: No, Jesper has not written anything for the new In Flames album. The new band you are thinking about, which I guess is the collaboration with Roland Johansson, is put on ice, they only did some demos but then Roland got to busy with becoming a dad and a job. However, I'm not allowed to say what, but Jesper is writing riffs now as we speak, in the future you'll see for what.

Also, Jesper actually did not write so much for ASOP as it may seem.

Well you sure seem to be well informed :) Pretty good news.
I know that his project with ex-Sonic Syndicate singer was put on hold, I meant whatever it is he will do next. We could use a new Dimension Zero album too, just saying :)

I remember when i saw IF last December, and Jesper wasn't able to make the tour... Niclas Engelin filled in for him and did a great job with the songs (also being a former IF guitarist too). Does anyone know if they are getting in a new guitarist in the future? I thought perhaps Niclas would join the band (saves him and Anders bothering with another Passenger record), but his responsibility with Engel would have put a stop to that. So Sounds of Playground Fading is all Bjorn on lead and rythm?

I remember when i saw IF last December, and Jesper wasn't able to make the tour... Niclas Engelin filled in for him and did a great job with the songs (also being a former IF guitarist too). Does anyone know if they are getting in a new guitarist in the future? I thought perhaps Niclas would join the band (saves him and Anders bothering with another Passenger record), but his responsibility with Engel would have put a stop to that. So Sounds of Playground Fading is all Bjorn on lead and rythm?
Niclas was asked to join the band, but he did not want to as he got Engel that he's worked very hard on the couple of years. In the studio Björn did all the guitar writing and recording yes. Live, they'll use a session guitar player I think (or hope?).

OMFG.

On topic : can't wait, I really love old stuff and the new stuff.
Albums like STYE and RRtR are my favourite BUT ASOP is damn good to me. So I'm pretty sure I'll love that new album.

I haven't read the whole thread but is there a single planned ?
Nothing known about the album AT ALL except the title of it. I'm 100% sure there will be a single though, always is.