In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

The Puzzles Chorus falls short IMO, like somethings missing, ander's should have done something. Alot of his lyrics don't seem to fit with the music when he does the choruses. Same with All For Me, he should have screamed rather than sing the chorus. I am however starting to love the song more it has an epic Colony-esque beginning.

I still wish they could have turned The Attic and The Jester's Door into actual songs like The Chosen Pessimist or something.

They need to play Fear Is The Weakness live, they really fucking do. It is easily one of their most epic new songs.

It seems like this album is a bit more progressive than their others.

Anyone else noticed that at the 3:30 mark in All For Me, Anders sounds extremely much like Daniel Heiman (Heed, Lost Horizon)?

Ok, so when I first really got to hear this album, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed to find that A New Dawn was the best track on the album by a decent margin. "Sounds" as a whole didn't really grab me and I was left feeling like "where's the rest?" More to come seemed obvious in feeling but unrealized in the writing of this album in comparison to most of In Flames.

Then I gave it more and more listens, eventually finding more and more moments in songs that were well done or compelling. Pretty soon I realized that I really enjoyed more than half of the album's tracks and grasped onto it's Soundtrack-like properties as a grower of a record, one that took time to really connect with a little more. Now the album has so many melodies. The solos are also for the most part really good, although some of the underlying riffs or chords could've used a kick in the ass a bit. In general I wish that the album had more harmonized leads and riffs but what is here in that regard is both memorable and worth noting. Overall, the album is about an 8/10.

Favorite songs in order (for the most part)
A New Dawn
Fear Is The Weakness
The Puzzle
Darker Times
Ropes
Where Dead Ships Dwell
Sounds...
Enter Tragedy
All For Me
Liberation
Deliver Us
The Jester's Door
The Attic

Don't get me wrong, the shorter tracks are great but I wish they were expanded upon. I'm a big fan of The Chosen Pessimist and I liked what they accomplished with that track. More development with these two would've been great. Liberation is a decent song but doesn't really fit here I don't think.

Also:

The drums are probably the best they've ever been on this album, or at least comparable to his best performance. Daniel does well in adding texture to the music. Darker Times is a real barnstormer, sounding like it would be comfortable sitting on Reroute. Ropes is infectious, a really well done song. I do wish there were more screams in the verses but the end result is pseudo Passenger in a good way I suppose. The end of the Puzzle is mesmerizing... Fear Is The Weakness is damn near flawless. Love the feel of the song. The title track remains awesome and I probably underrated it a minute ago. The verse riffs are great and the chorus is one of the better ones on the album. Dig the lead parts too.

Yeah. To be honest, a lot of parts from the album could pass as Passenger material. Just like I predicted on the beginning of this thread :)
Though I wouldn't agree with the part about the drums. Sure, they sound nice and clear, but there arent any parts that made me say "wow this is awesome". His best performances are on Clayman and Come Clarity, IMHO.

Overall, I give 6/10 to the SOAPF. To be honest, a lot of the songs dont make me want to listen to them again.

I agree that Clayman had the best drums. Clarity-wise SOAPF done well and overall the drumming is pretty good.

But then on Clayman, there's Brush the Dust Away. The double-kicks which aren't abused like they are nowadays.

They need to play Fear Is The Weakness live, they really fucking do. It is easily one of their most epic new songs.

It seems like this album is a bit more progressive than their others.

Yes they do. And I agree that it seems a bit more progressive, and I think that makes the songs seem full, and complete. They really took the time to write more parts for the songs.

I don't agree at all. IN FLAMES and Passenger don't have the same feeling at all. The singer is the same, OK. But Björn Gelotte is Björn Gelotte.

Agreed. I do get like a light In Flames feeling when I listen to Passenger, but to be honest, that's probably just because it's Anders singing. The guitars and everything else, I don't really get an IF vibe.

This album is really special to me. You know, each IN FLAMES album has it's own feeling. Soundtrack To Your Escape is nothing like Come Clarity, for example. This last one is really different. It's not really a different new style to me. It's more like if they mixed all their albums in one, while adding a wider vocal range. Some parts feel really R2R (the verses of Darker Times), some others like STYE (the chorus on All For Me, the synths in Darker Times chorus), others like Colony (the opening of A New Dawn), others like TJR (the opening of All For Me), others like ASOP (the verses of Fear Is The Weakness)...Then, there is a slight touch of a new IN FLAMES style. It's different, but really cool.

Agreed. I do get like a light In Flames feeling when I listen to Passenger, but to be honest, that's probably just because it's Anders singing. The guitars and everything else, I don't really get an IF vibe.

Listen to A New Dawn. There is not a single riff that would fit to Passenger. Same for a LOT of tracks. Listen to Passenger, do the same thing. These two bands are completely different. I like IN FLAMES way more than Passenger. Both do really cool music, but IN FLAMES is fucking epic. Passenger is not.

Listen to A New Dawn. There is not a single riff that would fit to Passenger. Same for a LOT of tracks. Listen to Passenger, do the same thing. These two bands are completely different. I like IN FLAMES way more than Passenger. Both do really cool music, but IN FLAMES is fucking epic. Passenger is not.

I didn't say they were the same. I said when I listen to Passenger, I get a vibe that they are like a mellow, chill kind of IF. But that's really only because of Anders that I draw the connection. I know they are very different and that IF is fucking epic. I do really wish they would make another Passenger album though. In My Head is one of my favorite songs.

I didn't say they were the same. I said when I listen to Passenger, I get a vibe that they are like a mellow, chill kind of IF. But that's really only because of Anders that I draw the connection. I know they are very different and that IF is fucking epic. I do really wish they would make another Passenger album though. In My Head is one of my favorite songs.

You know...Björn, Anders and Niclas are now in the same team... :D :D

...Again :D