In Flames Soundtrack to Your Escape review!

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
YES! Preview of LotFP 65, COMING IN MAY!

IN FLAMES Soundtrack to Your Escape
12- 47:04 Nuclear Blast
Tard metal.
Clayman was the drizzling shits. I mean just the worst. The kind of album where if you liked it, dear reader, I can’t help but think you’re a retard and worry that just by you touching something I had printed that the retard waves might somehow be cosmically carried back to me. So put down this magazine now.
…if I get enough retard waves, I could start enjoying the band again, couldn’t I...
The sound and their antics onstage were such that I walked out on them the first time I ever saw them after two songs. I was fortunate to not receive a promo copy of Reroute to Remain.
… but I’ve been cursed with some Soundtrack in the mailbox.
I hate this band. I mean, really, really hate this band. Because I remember when Jesper Stromblad played his guitar. Because I remember melodies and harmonies. Because I remember when a death metal band wore MANOWAR and RUNNING WILD shirts instead of having massive amounts of tattoos and talking about all the hot bands the MTV kidz were listening to. Loincloths and pirate songs really would be a big improvement at this point.
Every time it sounds like they’re onto a riff that might give me one song to hang onto, one song to where I want to say “I used to like this band”, they fuck it up with some nu metal device.
Anders Friden can’t sing. No argument. No justification. He can’t sing. His throatscratching worked early on because the music was smooth enough, flowing enough, melodic enough that he could get away with it and it added the touch of chaos and harshness that was a great balance for the band. With the music no longer working that way, what we have is a guy that isn’t adding a damned thing, and his screaming is just another body piling on to the horror. And when he tries to sing cleanly, it’s a crime against music. Seriously. Glad to hear that five years of recording clean vocal bits hasn’t bothered him enough to want to improve.
And I’m sorry, there is no way at all to justify the idea of naming a song Dial 595-Escape. Superhero of the Computer Rage. But the band was coming up with dumb and simply impossible-to-understand titles and lyrics even when Stanne was helping them out.
I’d like to think there’s a special place in hell for this band. I’d like to think there are certain diseases reserved for the publicists who push this band as “the future of metal.” But since people seem to need some schooling: No band with a recording career ten years old is the future of anything. Ever. Deal with it. This band was ‘the future of metal’ when Lunar Strain came out, even if not nearly enough people knew about it at the time. When Jester Race came out, they were the now of metal. In 1995. Due to American label conspiracy policy of only unloading styles in the US after they’ve been completely run into the fucking ground in Europe, they didn’t even get a serious promotional push until 1999. Four years after the time was right, and two albums into their descent. I fucking hate metal.
www.inflames.com

Yeah, that's a good one for a laugh - In Flames started to decline when Friden stopped combing his hair...:p I think they desperately want to be the psychos with the bad upbringing. Just like their faves Slipknot...

BenMech said:
However, Sym X fans are undoubtedly much more offensive

Not really relevant to the thread, but what's the deal with Devin Townsend apologizing the Symphony X fans for his behaviour at some gig?

I kind of agree. Where is metal going these days? So few good bands or new ideas. I do think, however, that metal has the room to have more new ideas than any other genre of music, because it IS a genre where you can do something new. You cannot break the formula in pop, C(rap), country, blues etc. Metal can pretty much take on any face. Although most new stuff seems sub-par we can at least fall back on what is good, so DONT hate metal, just hate the unoriginal shit and the labels that push it for a buck. Either that or start writing Lamentations of the Country/Rap Retard.

Eric Armstrong
Houston

fatesmiles said:
so DONT hate metal

Argh, people are misinterpreting that all over the place. poo.

I just hate the metal marketing machine that created the circumstances in that last paragraph that the statement ended... the metal marketing machine that turns metal into a more specialized pop marketing mechanism.

On the plus side, my tastes are still UNDERGROUND AND KULT AS FUHC. FIGHT THE POWER, NO TRENDS.

er...

yeah...

Something like that. :D

Oh, and this is Jim, not Sanna. Forgot to log her out again.

TheFourthHorseman said:
Not really relevant to the thread, but what's the deal with Devin Townsend apologizing the Symphony X fans for his behaviour at some gig?

Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure conjecture, since I've neither heard the comments nor the apology (aka Jim thinks he's psychic here)...

We know how Devin is... comedically abrasive during his concerts. Insulting the crowd, making fun of his audience, at ProgPower he took the crowd as being something completely alien to him, and made fun of prog music, etc...

... now anybody with a brain takes this as a Don Rickles method of comedy, "oh he made a joke about us, ha ha ha."

Prog fans in general, and Symphony X fans in particular, aren't likely to appreciate such humor. I think it's very likely that Devin made a progressive nipple joke and the crowd was just aghast at the AUDACITY of this Canadian guttersnipe!

And of course Devy's on SymX's label now, definitely an oldguard staff at InsideOut USA, so it's likely THEY weren't in on the joke either, or if they were, didn't CARE that it was a joke if their fan base was offended, just wanted them mollified.

Or maybe Devin really did go on a rage and said things that understandably pissed people off. Who knows? I just think it's funny that nobody could think my guess is without basis in reality.

I think STTYE is a pretty darned good album actually. I woudln't put it anywhere near The Jester Race, but its about as good as the other in flames albums. And certainly better than most other melodic death metal out there.

The best tracks:

Dial 595 Escape
Superhero of the Computer Age
Borders and Shading
The Quiet Place

Touch of Red seems to be the most popular song. It has a decent chorus, decent instrumental at the end, but not sure why its more popular than the four i named (www.inflames.com).

Yea, Anders cant sing. Yea i am not a huge fan of the production. Yea the song title and lyrics suck. But i never pay attention to that anyways. Its about the music. Jesper and Bjorn are good songwriters.

Well at the Hollywood show Devin started saying stuff like "you like progressive? I'm so progressive that I suck cocks for crack money!" and stuff like that. I personally thought it was funny, but he was flipping people off and cussing at them. However, as far as I understand, they were also telling him to get off the stage, so his anger was sort of justified. Some of what he said was a bit over the top but hey...I found it funny!

squeemu said:
Well at the Hollywood show Devin started saying stuff like "you like progressive? I'm so progressive that I suck cocks for crack money!" and stuff like that. I personally thought it was funny, but he was flipping people off and cussing at them.

That's Devin's stage persona, all right, haha!

Funny how nobody at a Strapping Young Lad show gets pissed off over this (anymore)...

But what's funnier... Devin taking shots at progressive snobbery, or people being snobby progressive fans at a SYMPHONY X show? I sometimes wonder if any of these ultra Sym-X nippleheads have ever heard the Rising Force or Marching Out albums... 'progressive'... HAH... guitar noodling and a Kansas collection don't make a band progressive. :D

As a subscriber, I'd be happy if you just skipped a review of this album entirely. I know the band is trash, you know the band is trash, and any regular reader of LotFP should know it as well. The thing is, there is just no hope for In Flames. I mean, did you really think this album would be anything worth listening to? Why waste your time. It's like me with Morbid Angel. I keep waiting for them to blow me away like the first time I heard Blessed Are The Sick. Hasn't happened yet. And I know better than to go out and buy Heretic, cause I know I'll just be let down again. I'm not comparing Morbid to In Flames in ANY way, but just the fact that we have to expect the worst in these situations, and let these old bands go off and die, and search for other bands out there that deserve our attention. And they NEED attention. After all, is that not the reason why LotFP exists in the first place? I understand why this album pisses you off, and you are justified in your rant, but save the print space and tell us something we DON'T already know.

I just got the last issue. I been travelling for the last couple of months, so I'm still catching up on a tower of mail. Anyway thanks for another outstanding Hammers interview. It only made me feel more the lame-ass that I haven't bought "August Engine" yet. I'm moving to Seattle next month, and I think they are playing there in July. Can't wait for that. And the year-end awards were a little less surprising than years passed, but you still managed to raise my eyebrow with some bands I never heard of ( or forgot about) Negura Bunget?

Cromer said:
As a subscriber, I'd be happy if you just skipped a review of this album entirely. I know the band is trash, you know the band is trash, and any regular reader of LotFP should know it as well.

Good and valid point... but every issue printed has a slightly different distribution system, and every issue finds its way into the hands of those that have never seen the zine. There's a lot of young kids out there getting into real metal now. By giving some strong reviews on well-known bands and albums, it's an opportunity to connect, immediately, with a new reader. If they're the biggest In Flames fan in the world, maybe they know not to bother with the zine if their eyeballs connect to the review on a cursory flip-through. Or maybe it's a kid just getting into metal who knows who the 'cool' bands are, but doesn't really like them... if they pick up LotFP for the first time and for the first time see an absolute ass ripping of an album that they hate, but that everybody they talk to says is so cool... maybe they'll have some confidence in a positive review of something they'd never heard of... and if that goes well, that's a new reader and possibly subscriber right there.

Besides, there are LotFP subscribers that consider the negative reviews the most fun thing to read in the mag. They're certainly the easiest things to write, so why not keep those customers satisfied. :D

Don't worry though, there will be plenty of positive reviews of more 'hidden' stuff in the upcoming issue.

Cromer said:
I just got the last issue. I been travelling for the last couple of months, so I'm still catching up on a tower of mail. Anyway thanks for another outstanding Hammers interview. It only made me feel more the lame-ass that I haven't bought "August Engine" yet. I'm moving to Seattle next month, and I think they are playing there in July. Can't wait for that.

Hammers hype never hurts. :)

Cromer said:
And the year-end awards were a little less surprising than years passed, but you still managed to raise my eyebrow with some bands I never heard of ( or forgot about) Negura Bunget?

I consider 2003 a fairly disappointing year overall for metal. More marketing muscle pushing old trends to new audiences that had never heard it before, leading to a lot more samey sounding shit. The top releases of 2003 are certainly more than worthy... there just wasn't that many 'top releases' to consider.

Jim LotFP said:
I consider 2003 a fairly disappointing year overall for metal. More marketing muscle pushing old trends to new audiences that had never heard it before, leading to a lot more samey sounding shit. The top releases of 2003 are certainly more than worthy... there just wasn't that many 'top releases' to consider.
Yeah, I thought so too. I bought, maybe, 15 new CD's throughout 2003.

Jim LotFP said:
Good and valid point... but every issue printed has a slightly different distribution system, and every issue finds its way into the hands of those that have never seen the zine. There's a lot of young kids out there getting into real metal now. By giving some strong reviews on well-known bands and albums, it's an opportunity to connect, immediately, with a new reader. If they're the biggest In Flames fan in the world, maybe they know not to bother with the zine if their eyeballs connect to the review on a cursory flip-through. Or maybe it's a kid just getting into metal who knows who the 'cool' bands are, but doesn't really like them... if they pick up LotFP for the first time and for the first time see an absolute ass ripping of an album that they hate, but that everybody they talk to says is so cool... maybe they'll have some confidence in a positive review of something they'd never heard of... and if that goes well, that's a new reader and possibly subscriber right there.
Very well said!! I still would have loved to see LotFP rip apart St. Anger in this fashion. :Spin:

Jim LotFP said:
Besides, there are LotFP subscribers that consider the negative reviews the most fun thing to read in the mag. They're certainly the easiest things to write, so why not keep those customers satisfied.
That's me.

Jim LotFP said:
Don't worry though, there will be plenty of positive reviews of more 'hidden' stuff in the upcoming issue.
When is this one expected to be out? I'll be moving from Pennsylvania to Pensacola Florida in a few weeks. Perhaps I'll just pass through Atlanta and pick up my copy. Dammit. :)

jageorge72 said:
Very well said!! I still would have loved to see LotFP rip apart St. Anger in this fashion. :Spin:

Give me a break man, I was depressed enough to see the In Flames promo in the envelope. What I've had to hear of St Anger from other people is quite enough.

Just yesterday I had a really bad time at the mailbox... Nuclear Blast sent me the new Ektomorf. Never heard of them... read up a bit in the bio... it's a Hungarian 'thrashcore' band that has 'similarities to Sepultura and Soulfly' that recorded their new album in Denmark to get the right sound.

I hope to hell it surprises me. Maybe it'll have cool riff ideas like Chaos AD and hooks like the first Haunted and a vocalist of real distinction and character.
But just by reading the bio... I have a whole pile of 'thrashcore' wannabes that I have no idea what to do with because it's like the new plague of Sunlight/Morrisound death metal. yargh. I'm missing a whole generation of music because the only -core I like is poli-sci grindcore as long as the lyrics aren't too retardedly left wing (communist hippie blastbeat music does have some humor value though), and the whole 'thrash' concept largely passes me by. There's some genetic missing link between NWOBHM and the Tampa death scene that I'm just not getting in order to understand Bay Area or German thrash.

jageorge72 said:
When is this one expected to be out? I'll be moving from Pennsylvania to Pensacola Florida in a few weeks. Perhaps I'll just pass through Atlanta and pick up my copy. Dammit. :)

My next paycheck is in 2 weeks, printing deadline after that with the Co-Op is a week after that, so I'd be mailing out HOPEFULLY just a week and a half after that. Lots of goooooooooooodness has made its way in. Just like the last one had a bit enlarged font from usual to stretch it out a couple pages to 64, the new one will have a smaller font that usual (HAHAHAHAHA) to fit it all in to 32 pages.

Betcha never thought your 12 issue LotFP subscriptions would last longer than Pit 12 issue subscriptions. *sigh*

Cool. I need some new music/suggestions. The only CD's I bought so far this year...... somewhat mainstream-metal...... new Fear Factory & Soulfly. I actually like them both.

I did just order Orphaned Land - Mabool, and Mithras - Worlds Beyond The Veil. We'll see.