In your Opinion, what Genre of Music would be the toughest to Record and Mix?

_Brutalism_

May 14, 2008
So, through experience or through research, which do you find (or think would be, if you're just guessing), to the toughest genre of music to record and mix?

Personally, with limited experience compared to most of you and mostly low end equipment and little space I have come to some conclusions, although they might be premature because of the lack of experience and knowledge.

I found that Rap, RnB and Hip Hop have been the easiest to record and mix. The producer gives you the beat and it was all about capturing good vocals and make them stick out in the mix with a driving beat which would hopefully make use of a car's suspension system. I must admit that it was pretty damn fun recording a hip-hop artist I knew. It was on a Soundcraft 1624 using a AKG C414 and Lexicon effects. It could have been either the good equipment or luck but I must say it wasn't too difficult finding a semi-professional sound to say the least.

I tried recording and mixing an Indie/Rock band on a Behringer mixer (the only thing I got for now :erk:), and I found it pretty easy to get a good guitar tone because they had fairly good equipment and were good players but the drum sound was the problem, mainly because of a mediocre drummer and a crappy snare, but I have to say that I didn't know where to go when it came to finding a good drum sound as I don't listen to this music but also since he was playing on my metal kit (apart from the snare where he insisted on using his own untuned piece of shit).

Less of what I found; from listening to music I think getting an Indie/soft rock sound would be challenging but...

In my opinion, Metal definitely has to be the toughest to record and very tricky to mix because of the requirements (especially today's), of the sound. Chunky, in-your-face distorted guitars and pummeling, accurate drums and a bass that must blend solidly in the mix, harsh vocals (for the most part) and then maybe synth. To capture sounds would take years of experience, experimentation, knowledge and a pair of good ears and to mix them all, giving them each a nice place to sit in the frequency spectrum, in my opinion is going to be one major challenge for me.

But being a fan of classical music, I definitely think that it would be the toughest to mix. Recording an orchestra would definitely be difficult but then to mix so many instruments and sounds, making sure the timbre of each one is distinct, finding them a place in the stereo mix with such a wide dynamic range from barely audible to extremely loud. I cannot even imagine just yet what a challenge that must be.

What about you guys? Through experience or speculation, what have you summed up when it comes to recording and mxing various styles of music?

hmmmmm I would think jazz could possible be hard just bc the tones have to be perfect, but other than jazz, I would say something techy like Dillinger.

Oh yes how could I forget jazz?! That surely must be difficult but because usually the drums are tuned high and the kicks don't need much processing, drums wouldn't be as difficult as metal IMO. Guitars would be difficult I presume but I have no idea, then the wind instruments would be quite hard to blend in the mix due to panning. I mixed a jazz/rock band and although it was more on the soft rock side, mixing the sax into the mix and making sure it was bright enough was probably the trickiest bit.

Im going with metal.. and certainly the cross-metal genres, synths are hard, chorus with LOTs of vocals, stuff like that.

I never tried jazz, but i somehow always think and feel that you can get away with rough mixes when it comes to jazz, blues, rock and roll...

i´ve done from metal to latin fusion bands with horns and percusions and all that, and i have to say metal is the most difficult for me... maybe that's why i like it best.

There are a gazillion ways to do jazz, which could make it seem harder, but metal is much more dense and dealing with the 'everything louder than everything else' sound has its disadvantages.

Jeff

I'd say Orchestral without a doubt, cuz of the necessity to preserve and capture the original sonic environment (a live ensemble with certain spacing in the stereo field), rather than creating a new one (close mic'ing everything and panning it as you see fit), while still maintaining a balance of all the instruments between room- and spot-mic'ing

metal and samba. I already recorded samba, and its a PITA to do. A dozen tambourines recorded to differents pitches doing basically the same thing and all those percussive crap to fit on the stereo image.

Besides, i hate mixing quiet guitars.

not necessarily genres, but dense mixes are hard to mix, and extremely sparse mixes are hard to mix. I find jazz to be one of the easiest genre's to mix; if you record the performances right, and the players are good, all you really need to do is balance everything. Recently i've been having alot of trouble mixing country/bluegrass/americana.

Anything where somebody is trying something different or unique, where you have no frame of reference.
Also the most rewarding.

Well if metals very hard, and orchestral is very hard... then I'd say orchestral metal (something like Nighwish's latest album) would be a terror to mix. I think the long track on that album had something like 250 tracks?

Symphonic black metal. Anything involving a symphony really, especially when you have non-orchestral instruments mixed with the orchestra.

Maybe, but I think it'd be a lot easier to mix an orchestra with all this "Wham! Kablooie! Chugga chugga gggrrrrooooowwwwlll" malarchy going on over it, cuz as a result really the most important thing is to just limit the holy hell out of the orchestra so it matches the dynamic range (or lack thereof) of the band. Not saying this is easy, and getting the original recorded sound is hard, I just think you could get away with a LOT more when you have a grinding metal band as the predominate sound.

And whoever posted the horror story about samba, that's really funny, and not surprising! Bitchin' experience though, I'd think

I forgot to mention : The band that i recorded a couple samba songs, also had a latin song, a few rock, a funk-that-would-turn-to-rock-then-turn-to-jazz-then-turn-to-funk-again-and-finish-with-a-rockie-riff song, a bossa song and a couple other. It wasnt that hard to MIX, but it was a PITA to master. The rock stuff would go as loud as the other songs due to all those snare peaks, and the tones were too different to make the songs work one after another. Bands that record so many different styles on a single CD should be shot to death until they learn to at least find a way to link their songs to make the CD sound like an unity.

Funny experience, tho', and reminded me how much I do like rock music!

I am going to put a vote in for classical type stuff. A lot of the classical repertoire is very intimate music. Being able to create the perfect setting for the music can be challenging. If the music is not intimate, it is just f'n crazy like John Cage's prepared piano pieces or something. Then you have to worry about accurately reproducing the sound of the piano to give the listener the actual feeling of being in the same room as the piano. Recording large ensembles and pieces like symphonies can be a bitch too...especially if it is in a live situation because you have to worry about balance within the ensemble. Spot mics would help that but that also adds a little more difficulty when it comes to mixing.

Overall though, I think all genres have their moments where it is a pain in the ass.

An orchestra.
Just imagine having to mix hundreds of instruments, with about 10 microphones. ;X