Inaugural "Guitar Questions For Chris" Thread

JazzIII

Apr 16, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario
Since we have a damn fine guitarist in our company, let's get it on!

Chris, what does your practice routine consist of as it pertains to the electric guitar?

Kel

Hey Jazz III,
Right now I am running a practice schedule that mirrors the DVD that I will be releasing. I'm doing this because I need to play everything spot on when I record it at the end of Sept, and It progresses nicely from warm ups to Insanity!
Here is the outline for it, this won't tell you exactly what I'm playing but you'll get an idea:

DVD Outline
Introduction:
Hello my name is Chris Broderick (cut to live footage) Welcome to my Guitar Instructional Video.
The intent of this Video is to have both technical and theoretical ideas paralleling each other while becoming more advanced. Unfortunately the scope of this video will only cover tonal or key based soloing, I was originally going to cover altered scales, but the scope of this DVD would get to big.
General topics Covered:
1. Warm ups
2. Keys, Modes
3. Scale fragments
4. Intervals
5. Seventh arpeggios
Tuning:
Tuning in Eb illustrating just the 6th string.
Warm Ups:
Left hand tapping exercise,
Benefits are left hand independence and agility, left hand finger extension and contraction, with a slight emphasis on supination, and pronation.
Tips, allow this and all exercises to do their job. They are not merely something to conquer. Good technique has nothing to do with what you play, but how you play it.

Chromatic picking exercise,
Benefits, allows for practice of both picking the between the insides and outsides of strings, progressive intervallic picking, finger extension/contraction, and small shifts.
Tips, take the time to bring out each note, look for finger independence, use the Metronome.
Keys, Scales, and Modes: (Still an extension of warm ups)
Explanation of Keys, and Modes,
Illustration of modes, three note per string.

Tremolo picking exercise in Fmj,
Alternate with slur exercise.
Benefits, memorization of Mode patterns, speed picking (evenness both dynamically and rhythmically), evenness of complete slurred 3 note per sting scale patterns (fragments are found on other videos)
Tips: Pick with the hand moving parallel across the bridge, while not bouncing around the string, use of the metronome is essential, speeds of 200bpm or more are achievable.
Scale Fragments and the use of polyrhythms with the metronome:
Explanation of how to use the metronome in this way (triplets, 16ths, and sextuplets)
Explanation of scale fragmentation.
Descending sextuplet in Dmj
Benefits: increased speed and rhythm accuracy
Tips: work with different amounts of beat divisions (ex. Repetitions of 16ths to
sextuplets) metronome bpm ~ 140

9/8 example in Dmj
Benefits: ability to play syncopations against the beat
Tips: mix this up with other patterns (sextuplets, and 16ths)

Scale/Arpeggio idea in Gmi
Explanation of how this relates to scale fragments
Benefits: introduction into string skipping, expansion of Key based soloing, advanced extension/contraction and rotation technique
Tips: clearity of each note, keep in mind picking direction of second and third string is always down then up.

Pentatonic sixtuplet in Ami:
Benefits: continued rhythmic and picking coordination, memorization of extended
3 note per string Pentatonics.
Tips: realize that when shifting focus should be on the 4th finger and not the first.

Pentatonic legato example in Ami:
Benefits: fluid slurring of pentatonic scales using the right hand to tap notes within the scale.
Tips: practice slowly maintaining clarity of every note, this example does not have a unified rhythm and therefore should be practiced in sections (as with all examples) or the individual rhythm should be felt when playing through the complete idea, upon completion this example probably will be used in a much larger beat structure where this idea leads to the end by the appropriate time.

Intervals and the Harmony of Scale degrees
Amj String skipping sequence of 3rds:
Explanation of how this relates to the modes, and ideas behind it’s creation.
Benefits: broadening the idea of how to conceptualize scales in new ways, alternate string skipping picking, the idea of considering these as arpeggios (explanation).
Tips: slow focused practice with the subdivision of the beat at triplets (I did this because this idea would be a lot easier to do with a subdivision of 2 or 4 and it makes the idea much more interesting).

Triplet descending Cmi pedal example:
This is the only example of the use of altered tonality (the use of Nepolitan 2nd at the cadence)
Benefits: Alternate pick while string skipping, learning the root Mj/ mi sweep patterns (not covered), Left Hand finger coordination. Tips: Slow practice ensuring pick alternation, and accuracy.

Melodic Arpeggio in Gmi:
Explanation: how it relates to the Key or modes, Illustration of melody and asrpeggio, show the deviation from the key with the Nepolitan 2nd.
Benefits: alternate picking with an advanced string skipping pattern.
Tips: start with an up pick to produce efficient alternation of the pick, an idea would be to practice it both ways.

Quintuplet E harmonic mi string skipping example:
Explanation of harmonic mi and it’s purpose, Illustrate how this idea was constructed.
Benefits: speed articulation of both picked and slurred notes, advanced string skipping.
Tips: Practice this (and all examples for that matter) in small sections, the upper voice will always start with an up, and the lower with a down ( whether slurring or not).

Seventh Arpeggios:
Explanation: everyone always illustrates the common Mj/mi arpeggios, I though I would show some interesting ways that I use Seventh arpeggios. Explantation of what a seventh is.

Amj7 and C#mi7 examples:
Explanation: based off of the seventh of the arpeggio.
Benefits: New harmonic material to play with, staggered sweep picking.
Tips: When sweep picking allow the pick to rest against the next string until it is to be played. The possibility of other inversions.

Sequenced Amj7 and C#mi7:
Explanation of creation.
Benefits: ability to turn around an arpeggio on the inner strings, running through different inversions

Conclusion:
Remember that all illustrations are not just riffs but meant as a learning tool for you to expand upon and manipulate so that you construct your own ideas.

Remember, this is an outline for me when I go to record it, so it may sound a little odd, but that's because it was never intended to be seen by anyone else.

Also I am going to start working on Some Kruetzer Violin studies that I have owned for ever and never gotten to. I will be posting some of them on my web site so that all of us guitards can work on them.
Take it easy, Chris.

Chris_Broderick said:
Hey Jazz III,
Right now I am running a practice schedule that mirrors the DVD that I will be releasing. I'm doing this because I need to play everything spot on when I record it at the end of Sept, and It progresses nicely from warm ups to Insanity!
Here is the outline for it, this won't tell you exactly what I'm playing but you'll get an idea:

DVD Outline
Introduction:
Hello my name is Chris Broderick (cut to live footage) Welcome to my Guitar Instructional Video.
The intent of this Video is to have both technical and theoretical ideas paralleling each other while becoming more advanced. Unfortunately the scope of this video will only cover tonal or key based soloing, I was originally going to cover altered scales, but the scope of this DVD would get to big.
General topics Covered:
1. Warm ups
2. Keys, Modes
3. Scale fragments
4. Intervals
5. Seventh arpeggios
Tuning:
Tuning in Eb illustrating just the 6th string.
Warm Ups:
Left hand tapping exercise,
Benefits are left hand independence and agility, left hand finger extension and contraction, with a slight emphasis on supination, and pronation.
Tips, allow this and all exercises to do their job. They are not merely something to conquer. Good technique has nothing to do with what you play, but how you play it.

Chromatic picking exercise,
Benefits, allows for practice of both picking the between the insides and outsides of strings, progressive intervallic picking, finger extension/contraction, and small shifts.
Tips, take the time to bring out each note, look for finger independence, use the Metronome.
Keys, Scales, and Modes: (Still an extension of warm ups)
Explanation of Keys, and Modes,
Illustration of modes, three note per string.

Tremolo picking exercise in Fmj,
Alternate with slur exercise.
Benefits, memorization of Mode patterns, speed picking (evenness both dynamically and rhythmically), evenness of complete slurred 3 note per sting scale patterns (fragments are found on other videos)
Tips: Pick with the hand moving parallel across the bridge, while not bouncing around the string, use of the metronome is essential, speeds of 200bpm or more are achievable.
Scale Fragments and the use of polyrhythms with the metronome:
Explanation of how to use the metronome in this way (triplets, 16ths, and sextuplets)
Explanation of scale fragmentation.
Descending sextuplet in Dmj
Benefits: increased speed and rhythm accuracy
Tips: work with different amounts of beat divisions (ex. Repetitions of 16ths to
sextuplets) metronome bpm ~ 140

9/8 example in Dmj
Benefits: ability to play syncopations against the beat
Tips: mix this up with other patterns (sextuplets, and 16ths)

Scale/Arpeggio idea in Gmi
Explanation of how this relates to scale fragments
Benefits: introduction into string skipping, expansion of Key based soloing, advanced extension/contraction and rotation technique
Tips: clearity of each note, keep in mind picking direction of second and third string is always down then up.

Pentatonic sixtuplet in Ami:
Benefits: continued rhythmic and picking coordination, memorization of extended
3 note per string Pentatonics.
Tips: realize that when shifting focus should be on the 4th finger and not the first.

Pentatonic legato example in Ami:
Benefits: fluid slurring of pentatonic scales using the right hand to tap notes within the scale.
Tips: practice slowly maintaining clarity of every note, this example does not have a unified rhythm and therefore should be practiced in sections (as with all examples) or the individual rhythm should be felt when playing through the complete idea, upon completion this example probably will be used in a much larger beat structure where this idea leads to the end by the appropriate time.

Intervals and the Harmony of Scale degrees
Amj String skipping sequence of 3rds:
Explanation of how this relates to the modes, and ideas behind it’s creation.
Benefits: broadening the idea of how to conceptualize scales in new ways, alternate string skipping picking, the idea of considering these as arpeggios (explanation).
Tips: slow focused practice with the subdivision of the beat at triplets (I did this because this idea would be a lot easier to do with a subdivision of 2 or 4 and it makes the idea much more interesting).

Triplet descending Cmi pedal example:
This is the only example of the use of altered tonality (the use of Nepolitan 2nd at the cadence)
Benefits: Alternate pick while string skipping, learning the root Mj/ mi sweep patterns (not covered), Left Hand finger coordination. Tips: Slow practice ensuring pick alternation, and accuracy.

Melodic Arpeggio in Gmi:
Explanation: how it relates to the Key or modes, Illustration of melody and asrpeggio, show the deviation from the key with the Nepolitan 2nd.
Benefits: alternate picking with an advanced string skipping pattern.
Tips: start with an up pick to produce efficient alternation of the pick, an idea would be to practice it both ways.

Quintuplet E harmonic mi string skipping example:
Explanation of harmonic mi and it’s purpose, Illustrate how this idea was constructed.
Benefits: speed articulation of both picked and slurred notes, advanced string skipping.
Tips: Practice this (and all examples for that matter) in small sections, the upper voice will always start with an up, and the lower with a down ( whether slurring or not).

Seventh Arpeggios:
Explanation: everyone always illustrates the common Mj/mi arpeggios, I though I would show some interesting ways that I use Seventh arpeggios. Explantation of what a seventh is.

Amj7 and C#mi7 examples:
Explanation: based off of the seventh of the arpeggio.
Benefits: New harmonic material to play with, staggered sweep picking.
Tips: When sweep picking allow the pick to rest against the next string until it is to be played. The possibility of other inversions.

Sequenced Amj7 and C#mi7:
Explanation of creation.
Benefits: ability to turn around an arpeggio on the inner strings, running through different inversions

Conclusion:
Remember that all illustrations are not just riffs but meant as a learning tool for you to expand upon and manipulate so that you construct your own ideas.

Remember, this is an outline for me when I go to record it, so it may sound a little odd, but that's because it was never intended to be seen by anyone else.

Also I am going to start working on Some Kruetzer Violin studies that I have owned for ever and never gotten to. I will be posting some of them on my web site so that all of us guitards can work on them.
Take it easy, Chris.
After this , I can't wait for the DVD !

a little question : what's your Gear ? ( pickups , amp etc. )
Edit: Whoops looekd over the gear section on your site :oops:

Wow... I guess that answers my question! That's going to be one hell of a DVD, for sure. I hope you didn't burn away practice time typing all that! I'm sure we all appreciate the thorough answer though.

Also, what are you using for a pick? I'm just wondering because I can never see anything between your fingers in any picture (or when I saw you in Toronto last year).

Thanks again,

Kel

this sounds sweeeet! I always thought you are one hell of an underrated player (even if I don't like most of Jag Panzer stuff :D :p ) . It looks that finally we will have an instructional dvd with some well thought examples and also not in the abused key of Am or Em !

Cowabunger said:
this sounds sweeeet! I always thought you are one hell of an underrated player (even if I don't like most of Jag Panzer stuff :D :p ) . It looks that finally we will have an instructional dvd with some well thought examples and also not in the abused key of Am or Em !

This is Chris's forum, not Jag's so don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings.
You'd be surprised how many people are a fan of Chris's playing, but are not into Jag Panzer....just talk to MetalSteph :D

chrisTheNinjaPirate said:
After this , I can't wait for the DVD !

a little question : what's your Gear ? ( pickups , amp etc. )
Edit: Whoops looekd over the gear section on your site :oops:
Thanks chrisTheNinjaPirate,
you can find out about all of my gear at chrisbroderick.net
check it out and let me know what ya think.
Chris.

JazzIII said:
Wow... I guess that answers my question! That's going to be one hell of a DVD, for sure. I hope you didn't burn away practice time typing all that! I'm sure we all appreciate the thorough answer though.

Also, what are you using for a pick? I'm just wondering because I can never see anything between your fingers in any picture (or when I saw you in Toronto last year).

Thanks again,

Kel
Hey JazzIII,
I used to use JazzIII's but didn't like the material they were made out of, I switched to pickboy carbon nylons but I only have a few left. thats cool though because I was just tuned on to a new pick that is shaped like a jazzIII but much denser, and has has grip paper where you hold it. I don't know who makes them but they say "cool" on them.
hope that helps, Chris.

Chris_Broderick said:
Thanks chrisTheNinjaPirate,
you can find out about all of my gear at chrisbroderick.net
check it out and let me know what ya think.
Chris.
I've checked it out, but I never heard of those amp's :erk:

I have a Dean Evo x and a Behringer ac 112 amp :D but I'm thinking of getting my pickups changed for EMG 81 & 85 's, so what do you think ?

Chris_Broderick said:
Hey JazzIII,
I used to use JazzIII's but didn't like the material they were made out of, I switched to pickboy carbon nylons but I only have a few left. thats cool though because I was just tuned on to a new pick that is shaped like a jazzIII but much denser, and has has grip paper where you hold it. I don't know who makes them but they say "cool" on them.
hope that helps, Chris.

Thanks for the reply,

I really like the jazzIII's because (so far)the black ones have been the best for tone, grip and versatility (in other words, they sound good with a clean tone, on acoustic, etc). However, I'm always looking for something new. Let me know if you find out the brand you've been using; I'd like to check them out for myself.

Kel

chrisTheNinjaPirate said:
I've checked it out, but I never heard of those amp's :erk:

I have a Dean Evo x and a Behringer ac 112 amp :D but I'm thinking of getting my pickups changed for EMG 81 & 85 's, so what do you think ?
Well I used to use EMG's and thought the tone was good but very steril. I don't really know how to describe it but it robbed the life from the tone. What you should do is play on them nest to a good non-active pick up for a while (2 hours or so) and then make your choice.
Hope this helps, Chris.

Hey chris,
I got a question regarding not getting an repititive motion strain from playing guitar...
as of late, i've been praciticng with a metronome and i've been doing it a lot. How long should i practice w/ that for before i should stop? I usually just play till my hand starts feel sore and go do something else for a while and come back to it later...is that safe?
Reason for asking is on another board, one of the guys that posts there started getting repetitive motion injury in his left hand and i all of a sudden got concerned, so i figured you might know about that stuff (To prevent it i mean)
And do you have any tips on the rondo alla turca on the lesson page?

also--when the DVD comes out is there any way to get one signed?
<Fanboy lol

BlessedInContempt said:
Hey chris,
I got a question regarding not getting an repititive motion strain from playing guitar...
as of late, i've been praciticng with a metronome and i've been doing it a lot. How long should i practice w/ that for before i should stop? I usually just play till my hand starts feel sore and go do something else for a while and come back to it later...is that safe?
Reason for asking is on another board, one of the guys that posts there started getting repetitive motion injury in his left hand and i all of a sudden got concerned, so i figured you might know about that stuff (To prevent it i mean)

<Fanboy lol

I can't answer for Chris but, one thing I definitely would recommend is to do a series of stretches AWAY from the guitar before embarking on an intense practice session. If you've seen John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline", you'll know what I'm talking about. Doing those stretches then picking up the guitar makes it seem like I've already been playing for a half hour or so. Accuracy is better too. That should alleviate the soreness. Prevention is the key.

Kel

BlessedInContempt said:
Hey chris,

<Fanboy lol

Hey BlessedInContempt,
I definitly recommend what JazzIII recommends. That increases elasticity, and circulation. Also I recommend that you use larger muscle groups to produce any movement, larger muscle groups tire less easily and handle the strain better. One more thing maintain wrist alignment whenever possoble, this lets the tendons move freely.
Hope this helps.
Chris.

Really enjoyed your clips on your website and the Jag Panzer site.
I wanted to to ask you for some advice on classical playing. I've been through both of Christopher Parkening's books and still work with some Frederick Noad song books, but I'm wondering what other things you'd recomend to keep building on my technique....any advice, books for study.....videos. Types of exercises. 120 studies? Segovia scales worthwhile for technique?

Thanks!

BlessedInContempt said:
Thanks dude..
What spefically do you mean by moving larger muscle groups?
like can give oyu give an example?

Hey BlessedInContempt,
an example would be to use your upper arm to shift instead of your lower arm or even your wrist. It takes study to use these techniques but there are some great literature on this in different classical guitar books (look up some of Ricardo Iznaola's publications), they are quite in depth.

Shredfiend said:
Really enjoyed your clips on your website and the Jag Panzer site.
I wanted to to ask you for some advice on classical playing. I've been through both of Christopher Parkening's books and still work with some Frederick Noad song books, but I'm wondering what other things you'd recomend to keep building on my technique....any advice, books for study.....videos. Types of exercises. 120 studies? Segovia scales worthwhile for technique?

Thanks!
Hey Shredfiend,
What you are doing is in the right path. I would also recommend Ricardo Iznaola's Kitharologus(very boring but extremely effective), Carcassi, Sor, and Aguado Studies. The best thing you can do though is to get lessons by a reputable Classical guitar instructor.
Thanks Chris.

The_Children_of_Decadence said:
@Chris: I'm interested 'bout your opinion about guitarist like
Alexi Wildchild (Children of Bodom), Tore Ostby (Ark, Conception),
Thomas Youngblood (Kamelot), John Petruchi (Dream Theater), Yngwie
and what music do ya listen nowdayz?

thx.
Hey The_Children_of_Decadence,
I like Alexi a lot he is a great player, but I would like to here him play on a different tone. Tori I have no experience with. Thomas is very good but again limited experience. Of course Petrucci is one of my biggest Influences and the same goes for Yngwie, but Yngwie hasn't changed or progressed his style since the mid eighties.
Thanks Chris.