Inaugural "Guitar Questions For Chris" Thread

Chris_Broderick said:
Hey Shredfiend,
What you are doing is in the right path. I would also recommend Ricardo Iznaola's Kitharologus(very boring but extremely effective), Carcassi, Sor, and Aguado Studies. The best thing you can do though is to get lessons by a reputable Classical guitar instructor.
Thanks Chris.

Thats' cool. I'm personally not going to be able to study at a university but want to make sure I'm doing everything in my power to go as far as I can. I'm currently working through Noad's '100 Graded Pieces' to keep busy. I'll checkout Ricardo Iznaola's Kitharologus.

Also, what classical guitar(s) would you recomend in the $1500-2000 range?
Thanks!

Shredfiend said:
Thats' cool. I'm personally not going to be able to study at a university but want to make sure I'm doing everything in my power to go as far as I can. I'm currently working through Noad's '100 Graded Pieces' to keep busy. I'll checkout Ricardo Iznaola's Kitharologus.

Also, what classical guitar(s) would you recomend in the $1500-2000 range?
Thanks!
In that range you might be able to get a private builder, but beyond that maybe a Ramerez, or Alvarez Yari.
Take care Chris.

one more from me, kinda a thing from above, but no one touched on it. I'm also kinda interested in touch style 2 hand playing ( like your arrangement on Rondo Alla Turca). Is there anything you can suggest to practice that style? Or information on ways to learn your interpretation? i cant seem to keep things in sync when i play it, my left and right hand dont wanna co-operate

Chris_Broderick said:
Hey The_Children_of_Decadence,
I like Alexi a lot he is a great player, but I would like to here him play on a different tone. Tori I have no experience with. Thomas is very good but again limited experience. Of course Petrucci is one of my biggest Influences and the same goes for Yngwie, but Yngwie hasn't changed or progressed his style since the mid eighties.
Thanks Chris.
Well, Tore Ostby is kewl noeclassical influenced HM guitar player and their singer was
Roy Khan who is now Thom Youngblood's singer in Kamelot.
...And after breaking Conception Roy Khan joined to Kamelot and Tore formed
Ark with Jorn Larnde and Randy Coven.
So, here is a full song, listen!
http://www.helvetes.net/arksite/ARK_Just_a_little.mp3
...so i forgot to mention Mr. Tolkki, the songwriter, brain, guitarist, boss, whatever
of Stratovarius. He played a f* awsome in the song called Soul of a Vagabond. You know that?

Hey Chris,
Have you spent much time practicing Segovia's 'Diatonic Scales'?
I like practicing the different right hand combinations he uses but I can't get excited about the actual scales themselves. I can play 3 note per string scales, modes, double pentatonics, whole tone, half/whole....and what ever all over the guitar but I just can't seem to get excited to learn his patterns. They really don't seem like anything more than exercises because they would offer very little value for improv.

When you practice scales on your classical would you normally do Segovia's scales or would you tend to practice some more practical shapes?
Thanks!

Shredfiend said:
Hey Chris,
I like practicing the different right hand combinations he uses but I can't get excited about the actual scales themselves. I can play 3 note per string scales, modes, double pentatonics, whole tone, half/whole....and what ever all over the guitar but I just can't seem to get excited to learn his patterns. They really don't seem like anything more than exercises because they would offer very little value for improv.

When you practice scales on your classical would you normally do Segovia's scales or would you tend to practice some more practical shapes?
Thanks!
Hey Shredfiend,
I did those a long time ago, but they are more of an exercise than an improv tool. I use the scales from Ricardo Iznaola's Kitharologus, but they are pretty much the same, just more detailed and thought out. Just remember that the nature of classical, is not much improv.
Take it easy, Chris.

Hey Chris! I was wondering how your guitar recital went on September 3rd? Any chance any of it was taped-would love to see more of your classical side! Maybe on the up-coming instructional?! I noticed alot of jazz influences you mentioned in your bio-something else I hope to see more tutorials of. Any tab for "The Slap Song" from the "Kings & Conflict" DVD. Cool concept for the 7-stringers! Thanks & anxiuosly awaiting the instructional-In reading your earlier post on it's content-should be "right up my alley"!

Darin Moore said:
Hey Chris! I was wondering how your guitar recital went on September 3rd? Any chance any of it was taped-would love to see more of your classical side! Maybe on the up-coming instructional?! I noticed alot of jazz influences you mentioned in your bio-something else I hope to see more tutorials of. Any tab for "The Slap Song" from the "Kings & Conflict" DVD. Cool concept for the 7-stringers! Thanks & anxiuosly awaiting the instructional-In reading your earlier post on it's content-should be "right up my alley"!
Hey Darin,
my recital went both great and horrible, some of the most musical representations of those pieces I have ever done along with a few memory slips. Ya win some and ya lose some. I did tape it and was going to post some of it but when I went to whatch it there was no sound, I was pissed. I will probably rent the hall again just to record a few tunes to post.
Later Chris.

Hey Chris, can you possibly make a list of must-have study material for classical players. Anything from beginer to advanced. List as many that you'd think would be worth mentioning.
Thanks!

Shredfiend said:
Hey Chris,

Thanks!
Hey Shredfiend,
I definitely would use Segovia's scales to improv, however classical music is not that improvisational in nature when compared to say Jazz. So just remember they were not constructed with that in mind (probably more exercise than improv). My only comment on this would be that eventually you just see all of the notes available to you across the entire fret board and shift through them by any means you choose, but to do this it requires learning a number of different ways to play your scales, and of course note memorization. I use both 3 note and positional scales, but they are truly interchangeable.
Hope this helps, Chris.