Incorporating samples into live shows, but NOT FOR BACKING...

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
I've done some searching but not come up with scenarios exactly like ours.

My band wants to incorporate samples into the live set, but ONLY for playing between songs. We do not play to backing tracks, nor do we want to. But a few of our songs have intros that are synth based, and/or we want to fill the dead time between songs with samples (while our vocalist talks, etc.). The longest sample would be around 2:30. most around 1 minute.

Ideally this would be something our drummer would run. I know the ol' iPod is what many around here use. But is there something better/easier in terms of connections and running? Also, with my wife's ipod, I can't get it to play one track at a time, it always goes into the next on the playlist.

What we want:
1. to play samples (CD tracks) live
2. our drummer to run it either via pushing a button or hitting a trigger to start the track and only play one track at a time
3. something that integrates into a live setup easily with proper connections for getting into the FOH
4. only 1 track played at a time and then stop.

we've been looking at the Roland SP-404. It looks like we could load in the tracks and then assign each track to one of the pads...hit that pad and the track plays ONCE. hit a different pad, and that track plays ONCE. The only downside to this unit is that it only has RCA I/O.

Any other ideas?

Roland SPD-S. Mounts easily with drums, can play as long of samples as you want (flash card memory), and also even has external trigger input so if you wanted to trigger kick/snare you could. Seen many bands use this for trigger samples as you described, bass drops, and for running the triggers for kick/snare.

our bass player just has loop station (I think its called that) box in his pedalboard. We use it for various intros to some of the tunes we play ... spoken word intro for "Number of the Beast", cello intro for "Be all end all", etc ... right before we start a tune he just clicks on it a couple times with his foot to scroll to the proper sample and just hits play ... comes through the PA from his rig and sounds perfect

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFzQPwT5W3Y&feature=channel[/ame]

Pay no attention to the vocals ... the singer is not made for Iron Maiden tunes ;) hahaha

The SPD-S has a limit to the length of a sample. It's not the greatest sample pad out there by any means (but the trigger is a bonus) and has been completely replaced with a laptop/profire for live samples. My band has a few songs that are fairly synth heavy and while more expensive, the laptop/profire stage setup is boner-iffic for that.

@Skinny Viking

so it's sent through his bass amp/rig into the FOH via something like the Direct out on his amp?

some of the stuff we have is full CD audio.

I'm contemplating just going with a netbook and leaving it at that. Don't need an interface, really. Just a way to get the audio to the FOH and only play once.

As far as I know you can just select which sample you need to use at that moment and hit the button with your foot to start the playback ... I'm guessing he may also step on it again at the end of the sample to actually prevent it from starting over but thats no different than any other stomp box. And yes, its sent from his rig from the direct out (I'm pretty sure). He doesn't have an overly complicated rig or anything and pretty much everything he has effect-wise is just all in his little pedalboard. I don't know the complexity of your sample use in songs but if you're just using samples as intros and such as you said, this thing has worked perfect for us. As for the audio quality, I believe he just rips the audio from the cd, trims it up in his DAW and then loads it in. I also don't know how many samples you would be using or how much that thing holds but I think he's got about 10 different intros on there, some of them a little more lengthy like the "Number of the beast" one and also the whole intro for the song "The Prisoner" (We want information ... etc)

cool deal. I've looked at the Boss one and now the Digitech Jamman. The small JamMan is only around 200 bucks, and can use an SD card and can interface via USB with my computer for loading samps...

thanks guys.

You know what? I think THAT is what our bass player uses! The other guitarist used to use the loop station in his setup for our samples but then the bass player got that Jamman ...

That'll do it for ya

I'll probably run it out into a DI box and just connect to FOH from that. I have plenty of space on my pedal board for this, and having the USB functionality, the digitech software to orgranize the samps and the SD card slot for expansion makes it seem like a better buy than the Boss. Also I already have the 3 button Digitech footswitch from an old rackmount processor, so I can operate completely hands free. sweet. I never really thought about looking into a looper pedal, but once again, this board saves the day.

And at 200 bucks, it's probably the easiest to afford and integrate into our setup.

The SPD-S has a limit to the length of a sample.
Only when using the internal memory for sampling.

When using a flash memory card, you play back any length of sample that will fit within the flash card you have. I have used it with a full song backing track that the drummer triggered off and the wave file was just L channel (w/ click) which got sent to a headphone amp for the drummer, and the R channel which was without the click for FOH.

I used a boss loop pedal for intro samples / clips but it some times get's finicky about tempo and you can absolutely destroy the mood by playing something sped up 3x regular speed lol. I just use it for sampling bass drops now. I've seen more and more bands with laptops on stage.

Only when using the internal memory for sampling.

When using a flash memory card, you play back any length of sample that will fit within the flash card you have. I have used it with a full song backing track that the drummer triggered off and the wave file was just L channel (w/ click) which got sent to a headphone amp for the drummer, and the R channel which was without the click for FOH.

Aha! You are right indeed.

For one of our songs, I have a Macbook + a Ground Control Pro. I trigger clips in Ableton Live from program changes (which get converted into notes via MidiPipe) ... so I can basically play a synth melody in time to our music with my foot. It works quite well. Might be overkill for what you want though.

To me, sounds like if the drummer's not too high or drumk [like wayyyy drunk, like...drummer drunk], he could do it all via his iPod, there's just NO simpler connection, it's just 1 cable...

You could always use a professional grade rackmount minidisc or CD player, Pro ones usually have a wired remote connection via RS-232 so you can make a start stop remote control quite easily with a 9 pin D sub connector, a couple of switches and a length of cable.
You could have the buttons mounted on the drummers kit and mount the player so he can see the display.
Then you have plenty of time (74 mins) for loads of songs/samples, and it would be way cheaper than a sampler or looper if you get a second hand one off ebay.