Live Samples/backing etc

FischmungaXTR

Apr 21, 2009
I'm working with a pop-rock band at the moment and theyre trying to downsize from a 5-piece to a 4-piece. This means they're gonna have to have most of the lead guitar parts played off a backing track, as well as the synths/backing vocals/bass drops + possibly midi program changes for the amps.

Now i've only really seen Tesseract doing this up-close but i reckon a lot of bands must use a similar method. They use Cubase btw, which is what we'll be using.

Question is, the band owns a saffire 6 usb, which only has 4 phono outputs. I was thinking lead gtr, other samples, backing vox, sub bass. any FoH guys here have any views on this?

I'm working with a pop-rock band at the moment and theyre trying to downsize from a 5-piece to a 4-piece. This means they're gonna have to have most of the lead guitar parts played off a backing track, as well as the synths/backing vocals/bass drops + possibly midi program changes for the amps.

Now i've only really seen Tesseract doing this up-close but i reckon a lot of bands must use a similar method. They use Cubase btw, which is what we'll be using.

Question is, the band owns a saffire 6 usb, which only has 4 phono outputs. I was thinking lead gtr, other samples, backing vox, sub bass. any FoH guys here have any views on this?

Just do a single stereo track and mix it really well. Most FOH engineers are probably not gonna want to run 4 extra lines for your backing tracks during a 15 minute changeover, unless the band will be touring with an engineer that is going to mix them (or is headlining every show) I'd say it's kinda unnecessary. 99% of the bands I get with backing tracks buss it down to a single stereo mix or a single mono mix.

Have 2 sessions set up so the engineer can choose what they want (4 separate outputs or single stereo output). This wouldn't be hard to do at all.