Incredible live performances

I haven't seen a metal band for a few years that would look amazing on stage - I'm talking about lots of movement, explosive antics, really powerful stuff that's kicking the shit out of you just by watching. DEP looks pretty good, brutal as fuck, too bad I don't really dig their music and to begin with there's no steady beat to move to

I guess it's just the electro fan in me speaking... after all, bands ARE playing instruments while on stage, and I know first hand trying to go all apeshit while playing isn't easy at all, for the player of any instrument. Being a drummer, doing that makes me fuck up tha double bass... :tickled:

I don't like hardcore dancing or any of that shit though, it looks so moronic it's painful.

I'd love to play guitar in a band like this, just fucking lose it, but in a somewhat more collected manner, something in between of good show and having a seizure. :lol:

I dunno. Just something I thought while watching these videos everyone else have posted. Mostly it just looks like any run-of-the-mill metal band playing any run-of-the-mill show.

EDIT. oh, and the presence and charisma of the lead vocalist impacts IMMENSELY on the show. A vocalist who's a great performer as well makes up for a lot, for the rest of the band.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pantera , Vulgar tour . Blew my mind seeing my teenage years heros for real .

Morbid A , Domination tour . The best (metal) gig I have ever heard sonically . The support band sounded shit and I feared the worst but Morbids sound and performance that night was truly mind blowing .

Opeth . Few different times .

White Zombie. La Sexorsito tour at the Marquee club in london . This was when they were still 'metal' and had just recruited a drummer who could play in time unlike the one on the album they were touring .

Iron Maiden , Maiden passed me by growing up but a friend took me last weekend and although I didn't know all the tunes I have to take my hat off to the old boy's they were great .

Queensryche blowing Metallica off the stage during the And Justice for All tour were near perfect. I didn't really even know who they were at the time and was the biggest Metallica fan back then, so it was a hard thing to admit that night. Nevertheless it was unquestionable, and yes this was the original Mindcrime tour so you could only imagine.

Don't have to imagine man, I was there! ;)

At the Gates at Wacken 2008!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqdGtjG-TwU

Totally wrecked my neck

Hahaha yes, my neck was completely incapacitated by about halfway through the show. I also had a fucking BANGING headache going into it, was determined to just stand still and enjoy the music, but about 10 seconds into the first song and I was already windmilling like a moron. Embarrassing but I just really couldn't help it hahah, they were so tight.

Emperor at Wacken 06 was one of those transcendental shows for me. It helped that I was extremely into the band at the time, but that gig went way beyond just music. It was almost an outer body experience by the end section of Inno a Satana, I think I was crying hahah. Amazing stuff.

This one is kinda ridiculous but Dragonforce put on a really good show shortly after releasing Sonic Firestorm in my home city. I was pretty young at the time which helped, but they were just starting to get big and actually played their stuff really well, + were clearly STOKED at how into the music the audience was. It's always great to see bands clearly ecstatic at a good crowd reaction, the audience/band interaction was really good that night. It was also one of my first metal gigs, so that probably added to the experience too.

Dismember at Metal Camp 07 was great. I'd never listened to them prior to the show, but their experience really showed and they were groovy as fuck. That cemented old school death metal as one of my favourite genres to see live, along with a few great Entombed performances.

Akercocke at the Camden Underworld a couple of years back was brutal as all fuck. They weren't as tight as they can be, but the London home crowd really elevated the experience beyond their performance. Jason Mendonca is basically my favourite frontman of all time too.

Finally, Cynic at Wacken 08. That kinda changed my perception of what music is. I shat many, many bricks. Just makes me wish I was older and got to see them back in the day...

Iron Maiden on Somewhere Back In Time Tour. Holy shit.

Lamb of God were pretty incredible too IMO. And I SO wanna see Manowar live haha.

Hahaha yes, my neck was completely incapacitated by about halfway through the show. I also had a fucking BANGING headache going into it, was determined to just stand still and enjoy the music, but about 10 seconds into the first song and I was already windmilling like a moron. Embarrassing but I just really couldn't help it hahah, they were so tight.

Emperor at Wacken 06 was one of those transcendental shows for me. It helped that I was extremely into the band at the time, but that gig went way beyond just music. It was almost an outer body experience by the end section of Inno a Satana, I think I was crying hahah. Amazing stuff.

This one is kinda ridiculous but Dragonforce put on a really good show shortly after releasing Sonic Firestorm in my home city. I was pretty young at the time which helped, but they were just starting to get big and actually played their stuff really well, + were clearly STOKED at how into the music the audience was. It's always great to see bands clearly ecstatic at a good crowd reaction, the audience/band interaction was really good that night. It was also one of my first metal gigs, so that probably added to the experience too.

Dismember at Metal Camp 07 was great. I'd never listened to them prior to the show, but their experience really showed and they were groovy as fuck. That cemented old school death metal as one of my favourite genres to see live, along with a few great Entombed performances.

Akercocke at the Camden Underworld a couple of years back was brutal as all fuck. They weren't as tight as they can be, but the London home crowd really elevated the experience beyond their performance. Jason Mendonca is basically my favourite frontman of all time too.

Finally, Cynic at Wacken 08. That kinda changed my perception of what music is. I shat many, many bricks. Just makes me wish I was older and got to see them back in the day...

I wont lie, I dug the hell out of Dragonforce's live show when I saw them back in 2007.
They actually played fairly well too, which was surprising after hearing so much about their ultra sloppy playing and I think it was because they were actually fairly sober that night

Another just came to mind:

Behemoth.

Fuck yes. I was lucky enough to see them play at a small club in April last year. Sounded amazing, and it looked like they really cared about being there even though it was a small place.
Dying Fetus and Suffocation were really tight and brutal when I saw them too.

DEP look awesome live! I always have more fun at hardcore/punk shows than at metal shows, because usually more people in the crowd get into it.

The best show I've been to is either Porcupine Tree or Meshuggah(3 times). The Haunted put on one hell of a show as well!

Manowar put on one of the most incredible shows I've ever seen. Not saying all of their shows are as good, just saying that the one I'm thinking of was just flawless in every way. Sound, performance, intensity, entertainment ... it was amazing

1998 in Bilbao. 3 hours, playing all time classics and rare songs from the early albums. The sound was fucking loud and clear.
Probably the best show I've ever been (and I've seen plenty of them), but the other 10 times I saw manowar was kinda shitty.

Other live performances I enjoyed:
GAMMA RAY 1995, WASP 1995, RAMMSTEIN 2009...
NEVERMORE+NOCTURNAL RITES+LEFAY+SACRED STEEL ... 1999
IRON MAIDEN ... every show
ACCEPT with Udo and without are fucking amazing shows too.

#1 - Pantera - Vulgar Display Tour with Prong and Sepultura: hands down the mozt AMAZING concert i have ever seen. 2ft from Dime the entire night just an amazing balls out performance. Pantera played and extra 30 minutes to make up for Sepultura going off stage early cause Max had a busted foot. Tommy Victor coming out and playing Walk with Pantera .... fucking INCREDIBLE SHOW!

( Entire show )

#2 - Testament & Slayer - Clash Of The Titans 1990 - Testament just fucking KILLED it, seeing Skolnick in his prime was priceless. Slayer just stole the show though, more to the point Lombardo was FLAWLESS all night. The played Mandatory Suicide and I hit the pit and broke my arm but kept going cause it was so intense.

#3 - Fear Factory - Mechanize Tour - Saw this a few months ago, just fucking AMAZING. Hogan is a fucking machine. The rythm section of him and Byron are just sickening its so good.

#4 - ZZ Top - Eliminator Tour - Hands down the most entertaining show I have EVER been too. Just awesomeness everywhere, from the fuzzy guitars down to the custom ford driving onto the stage.

#5 - Judas Priest - Painkiller Tour - Last but certainly not least, watching Glenn and KK kill PAINKILLER right in my face was an experience that could only be trumped by a blow job from all 12 of last years playboy playmates at once. Seeing Travis motor away like a mad man was a sight to behold.

Honorable Mention - Lamb Of God - Kiladelphia: the fucking ENERGY on this show was like none other. They just SLAYED all night.

HAHAHAHA Just found this: Tommy Playing With Pantera!

Almost forgot to mention my first concert as a snot nosed kid.

Metallica with Cliff Burton during the Puppets tour in '86. Changed me forever after.

On a side note, if you haven't already picked up the biography on Cliff "To Live is to Die" it's absolutely amazing. I've been wanting to read a book about him like that for 25+ years. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Live-Death-Metallicas-Cliff-Burton/dp/190600224X[/ame]

Fuck yes that's what I'm talking about! TDEP, Converge, and The Chariot all look awesome live from what I've seen in videos, but I've missed all of them whenever they came here.

Meshuggah sounded amazing when I saw them at Soundwave festival last year, too bad they only played 5 songs, 4 of them from Obzen.