Indie/Underground Rock

I've been into really into The Whitsundays and Vampire Weekend lately. I especially recommend Vampire Weekend if you're looking for something different...Whitsundays on the other hand, remind me a lot of 60's stuff like The Zombies, The Velvet Underground, & the Kinks. But yeah, both bands are new and have self-titled albums.

I am seeing Vampire Weekend at Pitchfork this year.

Probably didn't need the extra thread about them then.

Yup.

I would strongly suggest Neutral Milk Hotel. They are ridiculously good and give you that "children" euphoria so often associated with the word the word "emotion" without coming off pretentious in any way. Try their 'In the Aeroplane Over the Sea' album. An all around great act.

some indie rock is good.

does anyone have some good recommendations of some bands?

Do check out Broken Social Scene when you get the chance, especially the "Feel Good Lost" and "You Forgot It In People" albums. One of the best alt/indie bands about. Cat Power and Pavement are great as well, though you should have heard of them.

Can post-rock like Explosions in the Sky and Mogwai be discussed in this thread or do I have to make a different one? :erk:

I would strongly suggest Neutral Milk Hotel. They are ridiculously good and give you that "children" euphoria so often associated with the word the word "emotion" without coming off pretentious in any way. Try their 'In the Aeroplane Over the Sea' album. An all around great act.

I really should try giving them another try.

One of my favorite bands, Animal Collective, has that same vibe and I believe they are covering one of Neutral Milk Hotel's songs on their new EP.

Can post-rock like Explosions in the Sky and Mogwai be discussed in this thread or do I have to make a different one? :erk:

Of course :). Great bands. EITS new album made it to the top of my best of 2007 album last year.

Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West, The Moon & Antarctica
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Elliot Smith
Dredg - El Cielo
Iron & Wine
The Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin
Slint - Spiderland
Bon Iver
Damien Rice - O
Arcade Fire - Funeral
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Neutral Milk Hotel
Shearwater - Rook
The Fucking Champs
Talk Talk
John Butler Trio

etc

I'll bite, I want to learn about indie. I mean no offense but almost all the indie I've heard has been too 'soft' and smooth for my tastes. It's amazing music but it's just not what I'm in for right now. Indie doesn't need to have double bass pedal to appeal to me but I just like rock to be raw or gritty. And they've gotta have a voice that isn't so higher register. Know any bands like that?

I'll bite, I want to learn about indie. I mean no offense but almost all the indie I've heard has been too 'soft' and smooth for my tastes. It's amazing music but it's just not what I'm in for right now. Indie doesn't need to have double bass pedal to appeal to me but I just like rock to be raw or gritty. And they've gotta have a voice that isn't so higher register. Know any bands like that?

The Black Angles
Deerhunter
Atlas Sound