Indo-European Roots of Metal

Silent Song said:
that statement is about as good as saying Beethoven was human. that he resided within a certain geographic area has little to do with the nature of his musical genius.

The topic was whether or not his heritage influenced his cultural values; it always does.

zzzzz to the predictable liberal cliche reply zzzzzz

and what brings you to call me "liberal" when i have already expressed my political views as otherwise? were you not paying attention? zzzzzzz

his heritage *may* have influenced his values and artform, but ultimately the work is his.

infoterror said:
Excellent - take a linguistic definition to stand for an ethnic-cultural entity. You wouldn't last long in a debate round :)

Indo-European culture stands on its own, and its contributions are clear. For example, I'd say Beethoven's pretty goddamn Indo-European, wouldn't you?

i wasn't aware of another usage of the term indo-european except a linguistic one; that is to say all the languages that descended from the indo-european root language.

no, i wouldn't. beethoven has little to nothing to do with indian music and culture. he doesn't even use the same tuning system as indian music. i'd say beethoven is pretty damn german, and fairly western european.

the alumnus said:
i wasn't aware of another usage of the term indo-european except a linguistic one; that is to say all the languages that descended from the indo-european root language.

no, i wouldn't. beethoven has little to nothing to do with indian music and culture. he doesn't even use the same tuning system as indian music. i'd say beethoven is pretty damn german, and fairly western european.

Now you're learning: languages don't exist without a shared culture and usually, shared genetics. Indians of higher castes are the population most similar to Western Europeans worldwide; Sanskrit is a language from the same family as German; the pagan ideologies of Europe are near-matches for the original Hindu belief system, Advaita Vedanta. They have the same values, if different methods, and it makes sense for modern scholars to pay attention to this continuity.

infoterror said:
Now you're learning: languages don't exist without a shared culture and usually, shared genetics. Indians of higher castes are the population most similar to Western Europeans worldwide; Sanskrit is a language from the same family as German; the pagan ideologies of Europe are near-matches for the original Hindu belief system, Advaita Vedanta. They have the same values, if different methods, and it makes sense for modern scholars to pay attention to this continuity.

no, sanskrit is not in the same family as german. it is a saten language, german is a centum language, see the link: http://www.georgetown.edu/faculty/ballc/oe/oe-ie.html
hindu beliefs are quite different from european pagan ideas; most notably their idea of gods in harmony (bramah, vishnu, shiva) as opposed to gods constantly warring (hera, zeus, poseidon, athena) and the eternal nature of the soul (reincarnation as opposed to a finite end game of heaven/underworld/etc.).

additionally, musical scholars do not include india in the same musical system as western europe. western europe's musical system (12 tone system) is fundamentally different from india, which uses a microtonal system. it should also be noted that not all cultures of europe use the 12 tone system. irish folk music makes use of microtones, as does the roma (gypsie), etc. therefore any link between musical systems and language is flimsy at best, and most of the time simply wrong, as i have just demonstrated.

most of north america is part of the indo-european language family, including south america. they also share the same musical system (12 tones) as western europe. however india does not share the same musical system as the rest of the occidental world (including latin america). do you include latin america in the indo-european world? the popular music of mexico is much closer to traditional european music than indian music (with the exception of recent westernized music in india that crops up from bollywood).

I was wondering. why are India and Iran such poor shitty third world country if they're all so damn Aryan?

With the onslaught of globalisation in this world, the more westernised the world is becoming. As Alumnus says, western musical traditions are creeping into indian cinema, and wether or not that is a good thing depends on your taste for indian music. My point is that the heritage of a person matters less now than it did in the era of beethoven, when fast travel was impossible and the world outside was an alien place. People in Africa listen to american rap, people in Japan listen to Yngwie Malmsteen. Cultural heritage is now a flavour, a spice added into pop music or clothing etc.