Indo-European Roots of Metal

infoterror

Apr 17, 2005
I often find myself in discussions with handwringing fucktards masquerading as "metalheads" from whom the mere mention of NSBM can induce feverish fits of moralistic posturing about "inclusivity," "tolerance" and other AIDS-laden liberal buzzwords. Typically, their arguments are rooted that metal developed from the blues (via rock), and thus metal "owes" it's existence to blacks. The ludicrous nature of this notion begs for rebuttal.

The basic facts of metal's origins are simple enough. The genre was invented by four white lads from Birmingham, England who began recording in 1969 under the collective moniker "Black Sabbath." It's most significant innovators (Judas Priest, Venom, Slayer, Possessed, Burzum et al.) have all been white. These facts have proven inconvenient for the handwringers, who would like to see metal become their own private musical Rainbow Coalition. Thus, they are forced to let blacks in through the back door, so to speak, through the "metal as a form of the blues" argument. Unfortunately for the forces of tolerance and light, closer examination reveals this argument to be the proverbial load of shit. Metal emerged as a distinct genre precisely BECAUSE it broke free of the limitations of blues rock traditions. Sabbath abandoned the simplicity of blues arrangements and rejected the predictable tonality and chord progressions of the blues and previous rock music. Just as importantly, Sabbath eschewed the sex and relationship obsession characteristic of the blues and early rock in favor of a neo-classical and neo-Romantic preoccupation with creation, chaos and dissolution. In other words, Sabbath, far from owing its existence to "black music" and the blues, made its reputation through the systematic removal of black cultural elements from their sound and creating music grounded wholly in the Aryan tradition.

http://bbs.anus.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001471

Metal was started by white people, the great majority of it is played by white people, and it's listened to by a predominantly white demographic. Big deal.

:lol: absolutely absurd. i can't believe anus can go even DEEPER into the realm of blatant stupidity.

blues -> rock -> metal. you can argue all you want about how metal is "white" but its roots are "black" and who gives a damn anyway, all three genres are excellent.

and furthermore, there is nothing Aryan about Sabbath.

Wow that was pretty stupid. I think most fans of Black Sabbath know that before they were Black Sabbath they were a blues band called Earth. If you look at most of their songs you can see the blues influence. Most of their riffs were based on the pentatonic scale, the backbone of blues music. They just played a slower, more riff-based version.

Sabbath abandoned the simplicity of blues arrangements and rejected the predictable tonality and chord progressions of the blues and previous rock music.

Most beginners can play most of Sabbath's stuff and it was pretty predictable. I'm not saying they sucked or anything, they are one of my favorite bands of all time, but they didn't need to break free of blues/rock structure to make good music.

Black Sabbath basically took blues, slowed it down, distorted it and added different lyrical themes.

and furthermore, there is nothing Aryan about Sabbath.

Exactly. Metal doesn't need to be played entirely by white people to be good. If it was played by blacks or other minorities it would still be the same music. Don't try to drag race into this. Race shouldn't impact the music you listen to.

Just as importantly, Sabbath eschewed the sex and relationship obsession characteristic of the blues and early rock in favor of a neo-classical and neo-Romantic preoccupation with creation, chaos and dissolution. In other words, Sabbath, far from owing its existence to "black music" and the blues, made its reputation through the systematic removal of black cultural elements from their sound and creating music grounded wholly in the Aryan tradition.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... excuse me while I catch my breath...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Anus.com writers string together words that don't mean anything together as long as it slightly sounds like Nietzsche.
Its one of those rules that if you qoute anus.com you have automatically lost any argument

thats rule number 2. rule number 1 is anything posted word-for-word from anus is void of philosophical discussion, but quite capable of inciting laughter.

Silent Song said:
blues -> rock -> metal. you can argue all you want about how metal is "white" but its roots are "black" and who gives a damn anyway, all three genres are excellent.

He's claiming that it is rooted in its movement away from blues, that's what needs to be tackled. Referring to their status as a blues band prior to Sabbath doesn't add weight to a counter-argument, either.

actually it does. they along with their contemporaries were working on expanding upon blues, progressive to say. this developed into rock, which at some point spawned off metal. you can't competently claim that metal is some Aryan manifestation devoid of blues influence, rock influence, and the groundwork set by those genres and their frameworks. anyone who does is clearly ignorant of music development history.

Gallantry over Docility said:
He's claiming that it is rooted in its movement away from blues, that's what needs to be tackled. Referring to their status as a blues band prior to Sabbath doesn't add weight to a counter-argument, either.

sonofhendrix13 said:
Most of their riffs were based on the pentatonic scale, the backbone of blues music. They just played a slower, more riff-based version.

^ true for the most part.

apparently some people want to try and erase those roots because they're too selfimportant in trying to identify with a flawed ideal and trying to credit this flawed system upon famous people. i don't care about genre-lines, i enjoy all music. i find it appaling that one would attempt to spread blatant lies about history in order to replace truth with a fairytale of the "Aryan" claim on a genre of music. to state that any race holds true and total claim over a musical style is ignorance.

Silent Song said:
thats rule number 2. rule number 1 is anything posted word-for-word from anus is void of philosophical discussion, but quite capable of inciting laughter.

Some of the articles are silly, but others are rather interesting and even insightful. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss all ANUS content as idiocy.

I also don't understand blues fans that say "metal is stolen from blacks." Look to the origins of the blues and you'll find euro folk music amongst other things. Blues is cosmopolitan in origin and can in no way be attributed to the ingenuity of American blacks.

Silent Song said:
you can't competently claim that metal is some Aryan manifestation devoid of blues influence, rock influence, and the groundwork set by those genres and their frameworks.

Saying that metal is defined by its movement away from those genres isn't the same as saying it is devoid of those genres' influences.

infoterror said:
I often find myself in discussions with handwringing fucktards masquerading as "metalheads" from whom the mere mention of NSBM can induce feverish fits of moralistic posturing about "inclusivity," "tolerance" and other AIDS-laden liberal buzzwords. Typically, their arguments are rooted that metal developed from the blues (via rock), and thus metal "owes" it's existence to blacks. The ludicrous nature of this notion begs for rebuttal.

Did Dick "Satan" Cheney compose this for you?

Gallantry over Docility said:
Saying that metal is defined by its movement away from those genres isn't the same as saying it is devoid of those genres' influences.
no, it means it took a framework and built something different with it. you are incorrect.