What is death metal?

MURAI said:
ANUS, argues death metal is based on the idealogy of looking through life putting importance in logic and reflecting on death which is passed on from Slayer. Also, they argue it has lost its original intention with bands like Cannibal Corpse coming up like I say are more based on horror movie shock value than anything. And some more mainstream bands took the heavy, angry image of death metal.

It goes beyond just cartoonish gore; Cannibal Corpse et al. appropriated death metal aesthetics to make music that was, underneath, just basic rock 'n roll.

Laeth MacLaurie said:
Then provide an alternate history with some basis in reality. A continued assertion that a tonal system is rooted entirely in a non-tonal musical tradition is a logical non-starter.
Why in the hell was Laeth banned?

Final_Product said:
Well, we might have to inquire with Deron. I suspect Kenneth had a hissy fit and asked Deron to ban him for talking about all these awful Nazi things that he talks about!! Good Lord, think of the children!!!

Hell, who knows, I might get banned (yet again) for talking about the things I talk about.

Then again, seeing as Kenny hasn't been around, or is purposefully avoiding this discussion (latter being more likely, since he's been making posts in other forums since his last post here), I wouldn't put such behaviour past him.

I saw this documentary on the roots of blues.
It was quite a while ago, but what i do remember is that there were numerous tribes who played an instrument strongly resembling a guitar, only it looked a bit more primitive. This in combination with the oral tradition of these tribes generated a primitive, yet distinctively bluesy sound.

Very interesting indeed. I was always under the impression that blues came directly from blacks, with no white influence whatsoever, but the information several of you have provided as to why it couldn't be so is very intriguing and makes a little more sense to me.

Blaphbee said:
Well, we might have to inquire with Deron. I suspect Kenneth had a hissy fit and asked Deron to ban him for talking about all these awful Nazi things that he talks about!! Good Lord, think of the children!!!

Hell, who knows, I might get banned (yet again) for talking about the things I talk about.

Then again, seeing as Kenny hasn't been around, or is purposefully avoiding this discussion (latter being more likely, since he's been making posts in other forums since his last post here), I wouldn't put such behaviour past him.

What's the Fallacy, Kenneth?

:lol:

Intoxicator said:
Very interesting indeed. I was always under the impression that blues came directly from blacks, with no white influence whatsoever, but the information several of you have provided as to why it couldn't be so is very intriguing and makes a little more sense to me.

Next we will learn hip hop and rap was created by lower class white poets with cockney or appalachian accents.

Come on, the Blacks invented the blues. Surely everyone is familiar with Robert Johnson? His use of the lower stings for rhythm pretty much started rock n roll. Every rock musician from Keith Richards to Clapton, to the blues musicians, pretty much state without him, there would be no rock n roll.

Furthemore there are countless books on Son House, Robert Johnson and the Delta Blues, all played solely by Blacks. Whats next, Jazz? Will Anus make imaginary claims that whites created Jazz? And why the big problem over blacks creating a music form? why the need to deny the obvious?

A simple search resulted in this academic work by a german about the origin of the Blues:

Many blues elements, such as the call-and-response format and the use of blue notes, can be traced back to the music of Africa. Sylviane Diouf has pointed to several specific traits—such as the use of melisma and a wavy, nasal intonation—that suggest a connection between the music of West and Central Africa and blues[8]. Ethnomusicologist Gerhard Kubik may have been the first to contend that certain elements of the blues have roots in the Islamic music of West and Central Africa.

Stringed instruments (which were favored by slaves from Muslim regions of Africa…), were generally allowed because slave owners considered them akin to European instruments like the violin. So slaves who managed to cobble together a banjo or other instrument…could play more widely in public. This solo-oriented slave music featured elements of an Arabic-Islamic song style that had been imprinted by centuries of Islam's presence in West Africa, says Gerhard Kubik, an ethnomusicology professor at the University of Mainz in Germany who has written the most comprehensive book on Africa's connection to blues music (Africa and the Blues).[9]

Oh, and the documentary on the blues someone was mentioning was by Martin Scorcese. He went to Mali and Ghana, and discovered artists like Ali Fourke Toure, who have been playing a musical form essentially the same as the blues for centuries. IT is amazing music as well. If you say listen to a really old blues master like Johnson, and one of these africans, almost everything is the same but the instruments. Even their singing.

Well I have a few books on the history of music and Rock and Roll, and have been to my classes taught by musicologists. There are many influence behind the origin, but it all starts in Africa with tribal druming as a form of communication. Gregorian chants were the first steps towards complex harmonies based around the perfect intervals(i, iv, V). But then again there was always folk music that was simplistic and made mostly for dancing. I think we call it Club music now :p

speed said:
Next we will learn hip hop and rap was created by lower class white poets with cockney or appalachian accents.

Come on, the Blacks invented the blues. Surely everyone is familiar with Robert Johnson? His use of the lower stings for rhythm pretty much started rock n roll. Every rock musician from Keith Richards to Clapton, to the blues musicians, pretty much state without him, there would be no rock n roll.

Furthemore there are countless books on Son House, Robert Johnson and the Delta Blues, all played solely by Blacks. Whats next, Jazz? Will Anus make imaginary claims that whites created Jazz? And why the big problem over blacks creating a music form? why the need to deny the obvious?

A simple search resulted in this academic work by a german about the origin of the Blues:

Many blues elements, such as the call-and-response format and the use of blue notes, can be traced back to the music of Africa. Sylviane Diouf has pointed to several specific traits—such as the use of melisma and a wavy, nasal intonation—that suggest a connection between the music of West and Central Africa and blues[8]. Ethnomusicologist Gerhard Kubik may have been the first to contend that certain elements of the blues have roots in the Islamic music of West and Central Africa.

Stringed instruments (which were favored by slaves from Muslim regions of Africa…), were generally allowed because slave owners considered them akin to European instruments like the violin. So slaves who managed to cobble together a banjo or other instrument…could play more widely in public. This solo-oriented slave music featured elements of an Arabic-Islamic song style that had been imprinted by centuries of Islam's presence in West Africa, says Gerhard Kubik, an ethnomusicology professor at the University of Mainz in Germany who has written the most comprehensive book on Africa's connection to blues music (Africa and the Blues).[9]

Oh, and the documentary on the blues someone was mentioning was by Martin Scorcese. He went to Mali and Ghana, and discovered artists like Ali Fourke Toure, who have been playing a musical form essentially the same as the blues for centuries. IT is amazing music as well. If you say listen to a really old blues master like Johnson, and one of these africans, almost everything is the same but the instruments. Even their singing.
Source on the above quotation?

Besides, did you even look into the arguments presented by the so-called "ANUS" camp, instead of whining about the "ANUS" and a bunch of positions you think it holds?

It seems to me rock and roll is all hype.

There's nothing factual that distinguishes it from Celtic folk music.

I don't think the reason it is attributed to blacks is pro-Black or pro-racial-equality, but merely a way of marketing it as "outsider music" like rap, thus increasing its authenticity and cachet.

Among serious musicians, the "blacks invented the blues" is treated as the silent joke that it is.

Now rap, on the other hand, is an African-American invention... in musical terms. True, it was inspired by Germans. But what isn't?

speed said:

Several thoughts:

1) This data is forged, since diatonic scales did not originate in Africa.

2) Celtic folk music predates "for centuries."

3) I'm sure these artists were not influenced by the Semitic, Chinese and European invaders.

Blaphbee said:
Source on the above quotation?

Besides, did you even look into the arguments presented by the so-called "ANUS" camp, instead of whining about the "ANUS" and a bunch of positions you think it holds?

Its on you to provide evidence to the contrary. The preponderance of academic research, and common thought is against your position. I have only seen mention that Celtic influences made their way as influences into Blues.

Intoxicator said:
Actually, I have heard that rap was invented by poor whites in Southern America.

I hope that was a joke.

If not, we have yet another unsusbtantiated theory whose point is to claim rap music for whites. Again, the entirety of evidence is against this claim. Apparently Blacks just arent a musical people, who cant manage to create simple musical forms.

I am really getting tired of this conspiracy theory racism. Blacks have been dehumanized enough; I see no reason to use racially motivated propaganda to dehumanized them even more.

speed said:
I hope that was a joke.

If not, we have yet another unsusbtantiated theory whose point is to claim rap music for whites. Again, the entirety of evidence is against this claim. Apparently Blacks just arent a musical people, who cant manage to create simple musical forms.

I am really getting tired of this conspiracy theory racism. Blacks have been dehumanized enough; I see no reason to use racially motivated propaganda to dehumanized them even more.
No, that wasn't a joke. But it wasn't going against the fact that blacks invented the blues. It said that whites invented rap, blacks invented blues. I don't know how true that is. It was my brother that told me it. I think he learned it in school or while doing research for a school project.