Indus. . . the most beautiful song

O'blivion

blood flowing skywards
Sep 15, 2001
E-town
this might be the most beautiful song i've ever heard. i suppose only time will tell. it's hard to grade a song against thousands of others.

i love Dead Can Dance. somehow they manage to reach down to the very core of humanity and bring back its essence to the world in music. . .

I'm kinda disappointed with Dead Can Dance right now... Seems to me that their music corresponds with the band name too well.

D Mullholand

i think they understand space and minimalism better than any other artist in their 'genre.' i like how they fuse together musical ideas from across the world, and bring out rhythms and tones that somehow paint a picture of our essence as a species. of course that's just what i get out of it. it wouldn't be the first time we disagreed on something.:p

Spiritchaser is definitely their coolest album, because it has a lot more african influences than their earlier material. i have a thing for traditional sub-saharan african music. . .

. . .which brings me to some exquisite african classical music. New Ancient Strings by Toumani Diabate/Ballake Sissko is an album of african harp-lute duets from Mali. with just two harp-lutes they manage to create music that is technical, aural, delicate, introspective, and engaging. this is an amazing album, and a must have for any connoisseur of fine music.;)

Originally posted by O'blivion
i think they understand space and minimalism better than any other artist in their 'genre.'
Here I agree, they're miles better than all their stagnated imagination-deprived "followers" like Arcana, Stoa, Dargaard etc (I apologize in advance in case you like these bands! :p ). But still, seems to me they are too "dead" most of the time, even if they "can dance"... I haven't written them off yet though, with exception of the first two albums.
i like how they fuse together musical ideas from across the world, and bring out rhythms and tones that somehow paint a picture of our essence as a species.
Have you heard Jan Garbarek? He's a jazz musician who ventured off into world-music realms, with influences from various regions and eras... his music is spacey and minimal, but definitely _not_ "new-age"! It's very much alive and full, which is what I like in music. If you have the wish, check out his albums like "It's Ok to Listen to the Gray Voice", "I Took Up the Runes", "Star" or "Mnemosyne". Awesome music.
. . .which brings me to some exquisite african classical music. New Ancient Strings by Toumani Diabate/Ballake Sissko is an album of african harp-lute duets from Mali. with just two harp-lutes they manage to create music that is technical, aural, delicate, introspective, and engaging. this is an amazing album, and a must have for any connoisseur of fine music.;)
Hmmm... thanks for the info, I always store recommendations like these.

D Mullholand

Originally posted by D Mullholand

Here I agree, they're miles better than all their stagnated imagination-deprived "followers" like Arcana, Stoa, Dargaard etc (I apologize in advance in case you like these bands! :p ). But still, seems to me they are too "dead" most of the time, even if they "can dance"... I haven't written them off yet though, with exception of the first two albums.

yeah their later work is their best. DCD's last album Spiritchaser is definitely their most lively work, far from dead.

actually, i quite like Dargaard, especially The Dissolution of Eternity.:p

Have you heard Jan Garbarek? He's a jazz musician who ventured off into world-music realms, with influences from various regions and eras... his music is spacey and minimal, but definitely _not_ "new-age"! It's very much alive and full, which is what I like in music. If you have the wish, check out his albums like "It's Ok to Listen to the Gray Voice", "I Took Up the Runes", "Star" or "Mnemosyne". Awesome music.

the name rings a bell, but i don't think i've had the oppertunity to hear his work. i'll check him out tonight!

"Indus" is a remarkable song, no doubt! I also love "The Song of the Stars" & the "Song of the Dispossessed" from Spiritchaser.

However, I still feel that "Serpent's Egg" is the meisterwerk . Of course, all of their releases are perfect!

My fav DCD/Lisa tunes:
1) Hosts of the Seraphim
2) Sacrifice
3) Yulunga
4) Don't Fade Away
5) Indus