Industrial sounds/atmosphere

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
Hello. I was wondering if anyone knew how to achieve some atmospheric sounds and various samples that bands like Chimaira, Sybreed, Fear Factory, etc achieve. What synths(software)/samplers are best for this type of stuff? I play melodic metal with electronica sounds. Sometimes though, I don't really want any synth to go with the music but just something in the background for atmosphere not always chords or a melody. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys. I've been looking into that for a while. Hopefully I can eventually buy it. Any cool free synths for industrial type sounds?

Wow- Spectrasonics Atmosphere looks really fun, and sounds great. I've definitely been writing lately with more ambient parts in mind, especially since I have the backing tracks capability all ready to go for playing live. For $299, I may just grab this. Thanks for the tip!

what about good electronic drum sounds especially machine-like industrial ones.

Maybe Fixed Noise Otto. Konkrete 2. I think there both aimed at glitchy stuff but you don't have to use it that way.. It's been a while since I launched them. Kontakt 3 and any samples you can get are a good option. There are tons of sample cd's out there with machine-like industrial stuff.

If I was going to pick only one product it would be Reason. That being said, I know for a fact that Sybreed uses NI Absynth on their first album. The song "Re-Evolution" begins with an Absynth preset!

thanks for your replies guys. I have absynth 4.0 and I do like it. I also have the korg legacy collection, fruity loops studio, and some free ones like crystal. For hardware I have a korg triton LE. So I do have a pretty good collection of synths but I don't have too many electronic drum samples, especially industrial ones.

thanks for your replies guys. I have absynth 4.0 and I do like it. I also have the korg legacy collection, fruity loops studio, and some free ones like crystal. For hardware I have a korg triton LE. So I do have a pretty good collection of synths but I don't have too many electronic drum samples, especially industrial ones.

I remember doing this in my industrial days. Take a good DVD extract the sound files, convert. Open up a good sound editor and start chopping away/edit. Load in to your sampler of choice. Edit to taste. I used to do this for both my Emu 4xt Ultra (hardware) samplers. When software samplers came along this got easy, still time consuming. Or just buy a machine/industrial sample CD already formated to your soft sampler.

I create all my own loops from scratch using virtual instruments. I really don't go for "stock" loops when there's so much you can do with sequencing and arpeggiating VSTis. Plus the whole "stock" thing is pretty funny when I recognize presets on records, such as the Sybreed track I mentioned earlier in the thread. I wouldn't want anyone to know where/how I got my sounds, but that's just me and it's a very nerdy concern, I admit. And it doesn't stop me from being a Sybreed fan... it just makes me laugh when I hear it...

Well, nobody laughs when you use stock synth sounds (or stock bass guitar sound, if you want to be evil :lol: )

It's much harder to spot, and I don't know if I've ever used a stock patch on anything. I'll start with a preset but usually heavily modify to the point where it's no longer the same thing at all.

thanks guys. I'm still learning how to use absynth and FL studio. There is just so much to it. I've always just used the stock presets but I want to start going more in depth and making my own sounds. I also want to start using samples but by making my own from scratch. Since we are on the topic and cool industrial, trance, ebm, etc bands I should check out? I've been getting more and more into this stuff.