Advent1

Feb 19, 2006
usa
hmm, some of these are obvious but, lets see

1. coil - nick drake

2. heir apparent - morbid angel

3. lotus eater - scott walker

4. burden - scorpions

5. porcelain heart - black sabbath (intro riff)

6. hessian peel - led zeppelin?

7. hex omega - maybe pink floyd?

maybe what you may want to do next time is discuss the influences on an album scale rather than each song. sure, a song like coil may be influenced by nick drake to a certain extent, and we all know a lot of heavy opeth riff's are influenced my morbid angel, but to pick and match a classic artist with each opeth song from the new album is pretty pointless... artists usually draw influence from many things/people, and the ultimate consequence of such an influence on the music isn't meant to be pinpointed like you've done.

Yeah, Coil is defiantly Nick Drake influenced. I think besides the Morbid Angel influence, which the presence of the keyboards it has on old Emperor-esque vibe.

Hessian does resemble Zeppelin, especially the vocals.

artists usually draw influence from many things/people, and the ultimate consequence of such an influence on the music isn't meant to be pinpointed like you've done.

i agree. lyrics are often interperated the same way, like in a literal ten commandments sort of way, like, "this is what he meant." when actually the real meaning is simply how it makes you feel, what meaning you find in it.

Go listen to King Crimson's album Lizard, especially the song Cirkus. I heard the influence right away in Heir Apparent. Some PFM, as well. And of course the usual suspects.....